Water Well Pressure Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Well Pressure Switch

Green Screen. Any ideas on why my water well pressure switch at ranch keeps going out? It's about once every 6-8 weeks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Have ants gotten into the electrical work around the well by chance?

Comment

Hold tank is waterlogged and cycling to often?

Kick on / kick off pressure to close

Comment

Originally posted by TTU TX Hunter View Post
        Have ants gotten into the electrical work around the well by chance?
        Not that I have seen

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
          Hold tank is waterlogged and cycling to often?

Kick on / kick off pressure to close
          I would check this but it shouldn't burn it up in 6 weeks. I am wondering if ants are getting in there and getting smashed in between the contacts. I heard they are attracted to the ozone production.

Comment

Originally posted by wal1809 View Post
            I would check this but it shouldn't burn it up in 6 weeks. I am wondering if ants are getting in there and getting smashed in between the contacts. I heard they are attracted to the ozone production.
            Ants just build up an insulation, contact cycling will build up a nonconductive deposit.

We battle for ants at my house in Alvin, but I've never heard of red ants getting into them. Anything is possible. Cheap components?

Comment

It's a new ranch but I do know that the tank is new and there are no ants in there (I had checked for that) I set up a couple of stock tanks so I just turned off the water to them thinking that maybe the constant turning off and on may be the culprit. I just left so we'll see if that has anything to do with it.

Comment

What is going out on the switch? I have had different parts break or wear out and they seem to be caused by different things.

Comment

One thing we do is take an Emory board and run all the contact points to get that film off that comes from the factory. But a 6 week lifetime seems like you cut on and off split is to close or your water table is a bit lower so your well is pumping down faster, that is if you have a pumptec on it. Corrosion can also get into the stem that the pressure switch screws into and block the paddle from freely moving up. Many things can be wrong

Comment

Your air pressure in the pressure tank may be just a pound too high so the switch cycles a bunch of times until the pressure jumps that extra pound to cut it off. Run the water to see if it does it when it cuts back on to pressurize the tank.
                    Last edited by Draco; 08-08-2018, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Too narrow of an operating range is set on the diaphragm. I forget what they are set at from the factory but that is a good place to reset to. I keep a gauge mounted to a hose fitting so that I can check the accuracy of the gauge in the pipe between the pump and the pressure tank. Also, when a pressure tank becomes waterlogged, the pump will cycle off and on many times per minute. This is worse on a tank that does not have an air bladder or one in which the air bladder has failed. We had a tank without an air bladder at the plant that would waterlog. The pump was inline between a ten thousand gallon holding tank and the pressure tank. When the tank would get water logged the pump would cycle on and off perhaps six or eight times per minute. That is hard on contactor points. I would remedy the problem by applying air to the tank for a couple of minutes until enough water was used to create an air pocket in the top third or so of the tank. You can hear air bubbles when you do this. On a tank with an air bladder, just check the air pressure of the bladder with a gauge. I want to say most of them are set at fifteen or sixteen pounds. There will be a sticker on some of the tanks that states the recommended air pressure.
                      Last edited by 60 Deluxe; 08-09-2018, 03:36 AM.

Comment

Thanks all! When I head back up in a couple of weeks I'll look at all points made.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X