My biggest buck ever -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My biggest buck ever -

We saw this buck for the first time 2 yrs ago as a 3 yr old and knew he had potential to be really nice due to this nice tine length. We named him Coco due to his dark chocolate antlers (which have lightened up some now) The following spring we searched high and low looking for his sheds and were able to find 1 of them and came up with an estimated score of 117". Last year he showed up early in the season on 1 picture and had blown up and looked to be more like a 130" or so 8 point as a 4yr old. I LOVE big 8's so I started hunting him but did not see him (not even on camera) until December. He started showing himself, BUT he had busted almost every tine off of his head. I was dejected as I knew the landowner was going to be leasing the property we were hunting out starting the following season and I knew I would not have another shot at him as a 5yr old. Fast forwards to about 3 weeks ago and the landowner calls me and informs me that the group that leased the property did so with the understanding that my wife and I could still hunt whenever we wanted to. BIG shock to us, so I flew to Arlington and bought a feeder at Monarch Hunting Supply and set it up (IN HIS BEDROOM). I normally would not push the envelope and get this close to a deers bedding area, but with all the other hunters setups throughout the ranch it was the only spot I could be secluded away from everybody else and still be in his area. He started showing up on the camera at the feeder like clockwork starting the morning after I put the feeder up. I hunted him opening morning and Sunday evening but had no luck with any mature deer moving due to the activity that was going on in the area. I knew I was going to have to switch things up and start hunting him on weekdays and planned on heading out Friday to hunt him before the other bowhunters and ATV loving neighbors showed up for the weekend. This week I decided I would go ahead and go on Thursday as well, that way if he did not show I would have 2 straight afternoon hunts, and as consistant as he has been hitting it I knew he would come to that feeder at least once out of a 2 day period. Sure enough he came in 3 minutes before the feeder went off today and I smoked him at 12 yards. I called my wife and she loaded up the kiddos and they came out to help me track him. He made it about 75 yards
    The only measurements we took were with a big tape before I dropped him off at the processer
    14" g2's
    23" Main Beams
    18" Inside Spread

I was estimating this deer between 135"-140", but he is far surpassing that and should end up going between 144" - 148" as an 8 point!

One thing is for sure - I forgot how good it feels to drag a big buck out of the woods by the antlers! This is the first trophy buck I have taken since Nov. 2004 - the only other buck I have shot since then was a cull 4pt and a boat load of does!

Click image for larger version

Name:	coco.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	24871242
    Last edited by Codie; 10-06-2011, 10:12 PM.

Amazing buck Codie. Congrats. Love those tines. I am assuming you were in the beloved Shackelford County? Great job. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Heck of a deer! Something to be proud of!

Comment

i think you got a shout out in a diff thread...

and holy moly. congrats.

Comment

I love a Big 8, And Dude that's a Big 8! Congrats!

Comment

Wow! What a great buck! Congrats Codie!

-Gonzo

Comment

Originally posted by bdphunt View Post
              Amazing buck Codie. Congrats. Love those tines. I am assuming you were in the beloved Shackelford County? Great job. Thanks for sharing.
              No this was on the Young/Throckmorton Cnty Line - I will be looking for one of those Shackleford Cnty. Big boys in November!

Comment

Congrats, beautiful deer. 14" tines is impressive.

Comment

AWESOME BUCK, congrats....I'm gonna guess that deer is gonna score 152-154, seriously!

Comment

Awesome. That's even better. Maybe you can lay another one down there. Congrats again. Great buck. Big 8's are pretty deer.

Comment

super nice buck, congrats

Comment

Great buck, Codie....Congrats.

Big 8s like that are very hard to find. You got yourself a special trophy.

Comment

Nice. Congrats

Comment

Awesome buck! Congrats

Comment

Holy smokes what a deer! Congrats on outsmarting a Texas giant.

I'll bet he breaks 150"!
                              Last edited by Fishndude; 10-06-2011, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X