No announcement yet.

water heater quit...Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like you got a dud. I would push the builder to try and make it right.

I had some issues with mine recently. 4 years old. It was under warranty (which I was shocked to find out), but it only covered the replacement parts and not the labor. I learned a lot about how the things work, and ultimately replaced the upper thermostat, which fixed my issues temporarily. I have been traveling a lot for work, however, and it started acting up again, and so I just replaced it so I could stay on the old lady's good side.

I would be very hot given the age of the heater, but if it comes down to it, it is very easy and straight forward to replace each thermostat and heating element and should cost around $50. If under warranty, they'll reimburse with the receipts.

Comment

You said you hit the reset.... is it tripped?

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
        You said you hit the reset.... is it tripped?
        I hit the reset primarily because it never came on after I turned the breaker on after I turned it off. It was the only other thing I knew to do.

Comment

Builder and/or plumber is full of ****

I would raise hell until they fixed it

Comment

Regardless if your builder does anything for you, the water heater is under warranty.

Don't pay a dime

Comment

Turn the break off, then hit the reset button. There should be a mechanical click or something like it if it resets. If no “click”, then it hasn’t tripped and is not the issue. I would check voltage you are getting to the water heater next.

If it does “click” then have some one close the breaker back while you are the water heater. If it trips again, you have a fault issue and need to get the plumber involved.

By chance, did the tank go dry for any reason while the water heater was powered? If so, this would have fried the element/s.
              Last edited by Greenheadless; 02-07-2018, 08:55 PM.

Comment

No way water will cause problems in 3.5 months.

Comment

I'd say faulty element. I replaced an element on a brand new water heater once.

Comment

Had a similar problem - sometimes you really have to “slam” the breakers to get them to reset if it’s an arc fuse breaker. Slam that sucker hard open wait a few seconds then slam it close....

Comment

Working...
                    X