Chainsaw sharpener advice needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chainsaw sharpener advice needed.

I am looking for some thoughts/advice from members regarding the best sharpener/grinder for chainsaw blades. There has to be something a weekender can use to put an edge back on a blade.

Kicking off deer season prep 2018/19 this past weekend I found myself struggling with the dull blade blues.

I would go to google, but want to see what you guys say.

I actually have and would recommend the one from harbor freight. I’ve used th heck out of my sharpener. I kept all 3 of my chains sharp during Harvey cleanup, and during cedar cutting at the ranch. It’s easy to use and you can sharpen up a chain in no time. Think it was like $36 and it still works like a champ I’d go buy another one if I needed to !

Jason Slocum

Comment

I use a dremel with their chainsaw sharpening kit/guide attachment. I can sharpen a chain in a few minutes. Super easy

Last edited by Smart; 07-15-2018, 07:22 PM.

Comment

This is what I have, it works OK.

link: https://www.amazon.com/Katzco-Piece-...ning+kit&psc=1

I'd like to see what everyone else uses. I have a Stihl pole saw and a Poulan 18" chainsaw, that gets used occasionally, but when they get used, its hard and heavy work.
        Attached Files

Comment

I like my dremel attachment. Super easy.

Comment

All good advice. Anyone else?

I do have a stihl kit like hog down posted, but I am ready to try something else since I can’t figure out the angles.

I will look at Dremel being that I already own a dremel!

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              I use a dremel with their chainsaw sharpening kit/guide attachment. I can sharpen a chain in a few minutes. Super easy

I just watched a couple videos on this one.
              Pretty slick and easy looking.

Comment

I use the Hogdown method. Once you get the hang of things a regular file with guide works really well.

Comment

It’s why I like this site... several good suggestions for a problem that I have dealt with for awhile!

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                    sthil makes a handheld deal that's pretty neat. I don't own one but its got good reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/STIHL-EASY-CH...41867409&psc=1

I have this one. It works really slick once you get the hang of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If its 3/8" drive link spacing, I use Oregon Powersharp chains and bar kits.
                      If its .325 spacing, I have the local Stihl dealer make me a chain with the correct # of drive links and use the appropriate sized round file.

Most people don't realize that the guard teeth build up with pitch - keeping it cleaned is important and whatever way you sharpen, you MUST dress down the guard teeth as well. They are only about 25 thousandths below the cutting tooth.

Comment

Originally posted by bpa556 View Post
                        I have this one. It works really slick once you get the hang of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        I'll prolly end up with one. Does both teeth at same time don't need electricity

Comment

Tagged for future ref.

Comment

I will second Slocum on the Harbor freight. Yes they make some cheap **** but for $30 bucks that puppy sharpens them up. I had to go to saw house last week and a buy a new chain that was $25 bucks. FYI they charge $8 bucks to sharpen them for you. My experience is I get around 8-10 go arounds on a blade and its toast. I am still working over drought trees...

Comment

Working...
                            X