No announcement yet.

Shooting pigs at night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You turn on a spotlight especially in deer country he will get called. They really appreciate it when you give them a heads up. They don’t have to drop what they are doing drive all the way across the county just to find out someone is shooting pigs. IMO

Comment

Always a good idea to shoot them a text and let them know. That way when/if the neighbors call him and report someone out spotlighting he will already know it is you. Will keep them from coming in and messing up your hunt and will also save him an unneeded trip out. Good to keep positive communications with the game wardens.

Comment

I usually shoot a text. No biggie, I don't get uptight over such things.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
          It’s my place, I have no trespassing signs. His “job” does not supersede my rights as a landowner and my freedoms under the constitution.

Your rights as a landowner have absolutely zero to do with the fact that if someone is potentialy shooting deer at night it's his job to show up. And it will be a much more pleasant experience for both of you, if he's gotten a heads up...or more likely he doesn't have to show up at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Shooting pigs at night

I called gw when we were going to be shooting pigs one night. He appreciated the call but said it wasn’t necessary. Said he would really appreciate it if I would let my neighbors know so he wouldn’t get calls in the middle of the night. Made sense to me so that’s what I do now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Heck, I called the GW just to let him know I was pig hunting during deer season and that my license was in the mail and not on my person. All I had was a receipt of purchase. He thanked me for letting him know and now I got to know one of the guys that may one day help me if I shoot something that crosses property lines.

Don't see how having a friendly convo with a GW could hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                Your rights as a landowner have absolutely zero to do with the fact that if someone is potentialy shooting deer at night it's his job to show up. And it will be a much more pleasant experience for both of you, if he's gotten a heads up...or more likely he doesn't have to show up at all.

Yup. I enjoy seeing the Constitution invoked when discussing shooting pigs at night. Our roots to hunt pigs at night predates the Constitution can be traced back to Publius/Madison and Federalist Paper No. 46.

We don't shoot pigs at night very often, but when we do so, the game wardens get a text or email. We don't do so (shoot at night) during deer season. I also tell the neighbors. I tell Gladys Cravitz as well. That woman is such a snoop I figure I will beat her to the punch.

Comment

I see it as common courtesy to let the GW/SO Know when the spotlight comes out for surveys or hunting. My goal is to keep the LEOs from having to race across the county to check me. I welcome the check, but would prefer to keep them focused where they need to be.

I recall many times during my internship with the GW having to run across the county to only find predator hunters spotlighting. Since this time, I try to make the effort to minimize the risk to the officer, public and myself.

Comment

I let them know if I'll be on some property with nearby houses, but usually I'm not and therefore the game warden doesn't get a call. Plus our new game warden isn't well liked. Wish the old one hadn't retired

Comment

We shoot him a text... same on the 7000 acre place we hunt as the 500

Comment

He would get tired of me calling as I hunt them several nights a week. Been hunting almost every night for the last month. No I don't call. Shooting suppressed helps on the call ins.

Comment

Thx for replies

Comment

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post
                            SMH.

A courtesy call isn’t that hard.

A couple game wardens are members here...what’s so hard about being courteous?
                            This.

Comment

Originally posted by snappertapper View Post
                              No reason to call the police to inform them you won't be speeding on your way to work.
                              Exactly.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I think it would just be common courtesy to do so. I'm sure the Game Warden would like to know what you're doing when he gets a call at 2AM from someone reporting spot lighting in the area so he don't have to get up and go check it out.

Trailboss

Comment

Working...
                                X