Africa with Friends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Africa with Friends

In the last few years as I see myself getting older... I worry less about the small stuff and focus more on things that involve family and friends.

My buddy Tony, a former co-worker and I had lost track of each other some 13 years ago. Life passes us by and before we knew it we had lost contact with each other.

Last year I made it my mission to find him and catch up on old times. Some of my fondest memories in my mid-twenties involved Tony and hunting.

Last November I tracked my buddy down and was elated to find out that he had stayed in the same field of work and had a successful business in the Austin area. We finally caught up on old times and it was like the 13 plus years without contact had been erased. We went on few hunts on his place in the hill country and emailed one another on possible hunts.

In June of this year Tony ask me if I was interested in going to Africa with his two sons. Knowing Tony and his love for his boys, I felt honored that he thought of me on this trip. After talking to my wife, I accepted his awesome offer. I started all the necessary preparations with 69 days before the trip. I would be bow hunting...so my bows would need new strings and cables, more arrows, broadheads and new camera.

We kept in contact with one another by phone calls, emails and texts and before we knew it...we were in Africa! Hunting all day and catching up on the days hunt in the evenings at the lodge and dinner. His boys were having the time of their life's and I could see my buddy was too.

Africa is experience on its own...but when you share it with good friends...it becomes a special place in your heart... that my limited writing skills can't put into words.

I normally would like to end this by posting a picture of my buddy, the boys and me...in Africa with all our trophies but out of respect for buddy's privacy and the boys. I'll just post my trophy pics.

[ATTACH]739837
    [/ATTACH][ATTACH]739838
    [/ATTACH][ATTACH]739839
    [/ATTACH][ATTACH]739840
    [/ATTACH][ATTACH]739841
    [/ATTACH][ATTACH]739842
    [/ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441376197.028688.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	25065705
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Joel; 09-04-2015, 08:46 AM.

awesome job

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Congrats on your hunt and catching up.

Comment

Man, I love broken off warthogs! That impala looks like a stud as well. Great way to spend some time together. Thanks for the pictures. I have lost track of quite a few good friends as kids, wife and work have consumed me. Thanks for the reminder.

Comment

cool story!

Comment

Awesome

Comment

Looks like you had a awesome trip...congrats on some really fine animals.

Comment

Trip of a lifetime! Thanks for the comments! I hope to do it again in 2 years! After I pay off my large taxidermy bill!

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Great looking trophys. Congrats to all

Comment

Looks like a great time bud. I am going to try to back in 2017 myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Texantax View Post
                          Looks like a great time bud. I am going to try to back in 2017 myself.

Nice! It's addicting!

Comment

Fantastic job! Joel, I met you in Thabazimbi when we exchanged vehicles. I had just finished up hunting w/ Otto. A great place and it looks like you guys had a great time, congratulations!!!
                            -John

Comment

Yes, I remember! Small world! We had an amazing time!

Comment

Working...
                              X