Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bear Threat thoughts?

G'day all,

A mate of mine lost his bow off the back of his ute so his folks have secretly come to me asking what to get him. They would prefer to keep it to $1000 for a bow package.

Bearing in mind I live in Australia, the land of great ripoffs,

What are peoples thoughts on the Bear Threat? In Aus that's $1000 for a RTH package.

Cheers,

JP

$499 MSRP on Bear's Website. For a 6 1/4 Brace Height, 330fps is a little slow to me. If I'm gonna shoot a 6, I want speed from it.

If it were me, I'd have him go by a bow shop, shoot everything they have, then go to one of the other site's classified sections and see if you can find someone willing to ship a used bow to Australia. Theres a few manufacturers with lifetime transferable warranties nowadays as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
      $499 MSRP on Bear's Website. For a 6 1/4 Brace Height, 330fps is a little slow to me. If I'm gonna shoot a 6, I want speed from it.

If it were me, I'd have him go by a bow shop, shoot everything they have, then go to one of the other site's classified sections and see if you can find someone willing to ship a used bow to Australia. Theres a few manufacturers with lifetime transferable warranties nowadays as well.
      I've been looking at going down the second hand line but his parents want something new. Look that's a great idea shipping one from the states but Australia is a very very greedy country.

The government here tells us we pay higher amounts because we have better average wages here than in the states, but then last year a study was done and adjusting for the difference in wages to cost of buying and we were still way over (from memory it was like 17 cents to a dollar more than it should). So what people in Aus have been doing the last 5 years is taking advantage of the internet and getting stuff posted from the states cheaper and better than buying it here.
      well the govt decided they couldn't allow that and now we get hit with huge fees to bring anything in to Australia.

I can attest to this, we had our tahr shoulder mounts shipped to Australia and customs charged us $630 to clear it!

Comment

Kirby - I tried replying to your PM but my messages don't seem to be working.

Comment

Good brand! thats what I shoot. Could find a better deal on older year's models in RTH packages. Just look online!

Comment

This is generally the cheapest bow dealer we have in Aus

Comment

I don't know how shipping would do, but you can find some sweet deals on here if you have some time!

Comment

Breedderbuck - yeh that would be the preference but the government is just greedy here and they've started slamming us with fees on top of fees getting stuff from over seas.

Comment

I don't know on the shipping or the what is needed to get through customs but I would see if you can buy one here and have it shipped. Heck if its to much all together ship everything separately. The limbs in one box and the main bow in another. Just a thought.

Comment

If you didn't get my PM, id suggest the wild with the RTH package if he doesn't want to put together the accessories.

When I bought my mauler in 2011, the RTH package left a lot to be desired, but they've upgraded it recently. I'd much prefer a 7 inch brace on a short bow like that over a 6 1/4 thats only 330 FPS.

Does he have a bowshop nearby?

Comment

nah mate, we're in the sticks a bit, about 4 1/2 hours to the nearest bow shop. And that one isn't sensational.

It's just one of those things, bow hunting was pretty much non existent 10 years ago, it's the popularity in the states that's pushed it here.

Most of our hunting is a 12 month season with no different archery or rifle seasons so bow hunting deer that get bang sticks firing all year keep them skittish.

Because of that the archery shop scene is still lagging behind and you only find them in major cities.
                      Last edited by JPHunting; 12-09-2015, 06:14 PM.

Comment

I don't know if you own a press or not, but it sounds like it might be worth considering. Even a bowmaster or a nighthawk press (both of which are portable) would help.

That hybrid cam on the threat might require a little more fine tuning than the single cam models to get the most out of it. With all three of these bows being pricepoint bows, they may not have that great of strings. My mauler from 2011's strings were not very good. They stretched pretty bad. If that ever did happen with the hybrid cams on the threat, you might be needing a press.

If it happens on a single cam, its not good by any means, but it won't become as bad of a tuning nightmare.

Comment

JP,......Got Roo's ?
                          Just kidding.
                          If I was 4+ hours from a good (?) bowshop, I would have a bow with a standard Binary cam system, instead of a dual or hybrid system.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                            If I was 4+ hours from a good (?) bowshop, I would have a bow with a standard Binary cam system, instead of a dual or hybrid system.
                            Also a great point! Abbey archery doesn't look like it carries any binaries though .

Comment

Working...
                            X