No announcement yet.

Climbing stand tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to have one. Just got too spoiled in walking to the tree and climbing up the ladder stix to the hang on. So much less work involved. It's hot, more often than cold, through the season. I would be wringing with sweat by the time I got to where I wanted to be.

Comment

wouldnt hunt out of anything else

Comment

All great advice. My summit is my most favorite stand. Super comfortable, light weight, easy to use. Definitely make sure you tie a line to connect the bottom and top sections, just incase that bottom section drops down the tree. Definitely make sure you have the bottom section angled up so when you get up the tree it levels out. I just bought a bow hanger from bowhitch archery...it's awesome! Keeps the bow right there making it easy to grab and not get busted. I'm also with the guys that say to get as high in the tree as possible. And get some small bungie cords..they come in handy. I use them to hold mine together when walking with it. They keep it where it doesn't bounce around and make noise. I also added some golf bag staff bag shoulder straps to make it easier to carry.

Comment

Lots of good advice

Practice and attaching the base and seat with a short piece of rope

And I hate climbing pines, bark slips and sap and not much cover. Lots of people climb them but I prefer not to

Comment

Don't try using it on a mesquite tree!

Comment

My Summit is very comfortable, but I find that I can't get as concealed as I could with a hang-on

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Peter View Post
                Two recommendations I have:

When attaching it to a tree always lift the front end up so I could attach it a bit tighter. Have to remember that a tree gets smaller the further up you go. An 18" tree at the bottom may only be 14" at 20 feet. If you start by hanging the stand a bit higher when at ground level and raise the front up you can compensate for this nicely.

Use a good safety harness. I hunted in a tree that my son didn't do the first recommendation (my mistake, but I was late and in a hurry). Dang stand dropped about 6' as I was turning around. Luckily I had on a safety belt and only broke a rib or two. Now days we have harnesses and not belts. Attach it to the tree as soon as you get to your desired height.

WRONG!! Attach your safety harness to the tree BEFORE you start climbing....

Comment

Working...
                X