Diamond C Axis Hunt 2011...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diamond C Axis Hunt 2011...

This hunt started by an open invite on TBH from Dale (3pairs12) and Seth (focushunter). I opted to take the spot and bring my wife or oldest daughter so they could bowhunt with me. Neither my wife or daughter bowhunt yet, they both gun hunt but haven't taken the step into the bowstand... I figured which ever one went with me on this hunt may just get the bug and I was right... My wife jumped at the opportunity to go to the Diamond C, so we started our 5 1/2 hour journey early Saturday morning after a long night. My youngest daughter was graduating from Pre-K Friday evening and the after party lasted a bit longer than it should have...

We arrived at the Diamond C a little after noon on Saturday to be met by Seth, Dale cleaning a pig and their families enjoying the time at camp, the wife and I unpacked then took a short nap to make up for the late evening we had the night before. Not to mention the fact that about Wednesday the week prior I had started getting what I thought to be a sinus infection... Anyhow, we got up and visited with everyone and met Skylar for the first time...

Got the paperwork out of the way and began getting ready for the evening hunt, once on stand it didn't take long for the animals to come in to the corn. Once they were there, it was constant animals till dark. I had paid for an exotic buck hunt but was really wanting an Axis buck, I have never taken one with my bow and was determined to get it done this weekend. First evening, saw every kind of animal except an axis buck, some of the animals I had to text Skylar to find out what they were...

The next morning found us at the same blind, this time we did see several axis bucks but none were shooters, there was one that was probably 30" but he had broken off one of his main beams. Again, many, many animals, in fact if you are interested in shooting rams, Skylar has them After the morning hunt we were picked up by Skylar and Dale, then headed to pick up Seth. When we got to where Seth was hunting he was standing in the middle of the road and when we stopped he said, this is where the blood starts. Skylar has this little white dog named Lucy, and buddy let me tell you she is a blood tracking little fool... Anyhow, he turned her loose and off she went, in no time he called her off as she had jumped the blackbuck up that Setch had shot. Seth and Skylar tracked the buck till it laid down a second time at which point Seth put another arrow in the blackbuck. Again the buck got up and walked off, never to be seen again...

Back at camp, Seth, Dale and their families were packing up to head out, we all said our goodbye's and they were gone. My wife and I took another nap and when we woke and went outside we found it was HOT, like 102 HOT.... We decided to get in the truck and take a ride on some of the county roads around the ranch, about the time we arrived back at the camp the weather had changed. It had become cloudy and dark out, wasn't long Skylar came out and mentioned that we were under a tornado and hail watch, he said it appeared that we had about an hour before it hit us. My wife said, "well we had better get to the stand in the event we have to call the hunt early this afternoon".. And just like that we were on our way to the stand, we were going to hunt a different stand than we had been hunting as Skylar thought it may produce some more Axis buck sightings but about halfway back there I had made the decision to hunt the same stand that we had been hunting... Keep in mind, that with the weather coming I chose not to bring the video camera along b/c I had no way to keep it out of the weather if we got caught in some bad weather...

Long story short, I was updating the live thread via cell phone when the rain started, then some more animals showed, then the rain started coming harder, then the axis deer came, then the axis deer was shot.... All of this happened before I could get the thread updated, so it all got posted at once...

This was a nice buck that had 28" main beams, Skylar has some much larger Axis bucks but under the circumstances, I am stoked with the buck I took. I was not able to bring the buck home as I was not prepared to keep the velvet antlers cool on the way home and apparently if you can't keep the velvet cool they will ruin. Anyhow, Skylar mentioned a taxi that he uses and offered to take the head to him for the shoulder mount....

All in all, I was very pleased with the Diamond C, Skylar is a great guy and will go our of his way to make sure you enjoy your hunt....

Now for some of the good stuff... Pic's and video's

Dale & Seth packing up to leave....

Seth and his bride....

Brit's first animal ever with her bow... And she put it right where she needed to, great shot on a bruiser of a hog Brit

My axis buck...

Leaving the Diamond C

Here is some of the video I got while sitting on stand.... And at the end is some footage of us tracking Seth's blackbuck...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R0T2CQQobw"]YouTube - ‪Diamond C 2011‬‏[/ame]

Had a great time Bud. I was nice to meet you and your wife. Congrats again on the axis!! Great write up, photos, and video. I guess we should plan a hunt around when you go to pick up the axis

Comment

Great wrap up on a great weekend for y'all!

Congrats Brit on a great hog!! Nice shootin!!

Thanks for sharing your hunt with us Bud and congrats on a Great Axis!!!

Comment

Sweet!

Comment

Nice write up! and thats a great axis!

So what happened with the blackbuck? two arrows and neither of them did the job?

Comment

Originally posted by 3pairs12 View Post
            Had a great time Bud. I was nice to meet you and your wife. Congrats again on the axis!! Great write up, photos, and video. I guess we should plan a hunt around when you go to pick up the axis
            Man, that sounds tempting...

Originally posted by Tubby View Post
            Great wrap up on a great weekend for y'all!

Congrats Brit on a great hog!! Nice shootin!!

Thanks for sharing your hunt with us Bud and congrats on a Great Axis!!!
            Thanks for helping me with the video Clint

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser10 View Post
              Nice write up! and thats a great axis!

So what happened with the blackbuck? two arrows and neither of them did the job?
              After getting my Axis buck cleaned and put up the rain had slacked a it so we decided to go look for the blackbuck, we walked the area till dark that evening to no avail.... Skylar found the buck yesterday, not sure of the details but I am sure he will be getting the head to Seth at some point...

Comment

congrats

Comment

Originally posted by TexaswBOWhunter View Post
                  After getting my Axis buck cleaned and put up the rain had slacked a it so we decided to go look for the blackbuck, we walked the area till dark that evening to no avail.... Skylar found the buck yesterday, not sure of the details but I am sure he will be getting the head to Seth at some point...
                  Good to hear it was found, thats always a sickening feeling

Comment

Congrats on what sounds like a great hunt and an awesome axis with bow.

Comment

Those Dall and that Blackhawaiian look good. Pretty nice blackbuck in there too. Congrats on the axis.

Comment

Originally posted by bu2herndog View Post
                        Congrats on what sounds like a great hunt and an awesome axis with bow.
                        Thanks brother, a good time with good folks, it was a great hunt!!!

Originally posted by J-J Matt View Post
                        Those Dall and that Blackhawaiian look good. Pretty nice blackbuck in there too. Congrats on the axis.
                        They looked good to me too, they might be on the menu next trip

Comment

Great write up Bud. Congrats on that awesome axis. It was nice meating you and your wife.

Comment

I didn't have the video pop up the first time, the rams sure do look nice. Looking like I am being pushed towards making it out there sooner or later.

Comment

nice pics and video. congrats on the axis. definately good to hear the blackbuck was found too.

Comment

Working...
                              X