What format?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What format?????

OK guys I need help again. I have video on my hard drive that has been edited and saved as WMV file. I want to burn the video to disc(CD or DVD) to play on a standard DVD player. What format do I need to convert to? I can't remember which one for DVD player. I tried MPEG-2 and it didn't work. I am using Roxio Creator 9. I have more options than I know what are. Thanks for the help.

Jason mpeg 2 is what I have to use to play in my DVD player. I used Roxio v6 to put it together also so I'm not sure why it won't work for you. With yy old DVD player I had to go into the setup and tell it it was ok to play mpegs.

Side note: how is Roxio 9? Picked it up yesterday at Sam's Club.

Comment

Jason....If you saved it as a .wmv you have already compressed the video and if you aren't publishing to the web why not just leave it as "raw" footage and burn to a DVD direct from your editing program?

Comment

Bill, just picked it up yesterday as well. Haven't used the editing software yet. I just started using it last night.

AB, not sure what you are asking. I have it saved in .wmv(it was edited using Windows Movie). I dont think DVD players recognize .wmv so i want to burn it to disk in a format that will play on a DVD player whether that be VCD or DVD. The file size is small enough that it will fit on a CD. MPEG 2, MPEG 4, DivX, .wmv, 3G, PSP........

Comment

Jason, what I am trying to say is that when you captured your video to Windows Movie Maker and then converted or saved it as a .wmv file you "compressed" the video from its "raw" state...in other words I would suggest recapturing the video and then "export" it to your desired format...such as .avi, mpeg-2 etc.

You sabe? if not shoot me an e-mail and I can try and walk you through it:

jason at texasbowhunter dot com.

Comment

Jason, got your voice mail when my wife and I were going into a meeting this afternoon. Just got home about 15 minutes ago. I haven't installed the software yet so I'm not sure about it. I agree with Jason though, capture as .avi if you can. If you can't, burn it to a cd and I'll arrange to get it from you and convert it to .avi for you in my Pinnacle software and then you can work with it. Give me a shout tomorrow. If you don't get me on the cell call the office at 823-0638, it rings here at the house.

Comment

You won't have to convert anything to .avi fellas, once you "capture" your video...those raw clips are in .avi form (basically raw, uncompressed footage)

Comment

Jason (ABM) I think he is trying to use a .wmv file in Roxio which, at least in v6 that I have been using, it won't let you do. Jason (ta96) do you still have the .avi file?

Jason I installed and played with Roxio v9 this morning and have to say I'm a bit dissappointed in the video editing part of it. One thing I have to have is the ability to split a clip. I couldn't find a way to do that in the Roxio. Movie Maker is better for the actual editing, at least with my initial try of the Roxio. If you figure out anything on the Roxio, let me know. Fortunately I do use some of the other applications in Roxio.

Guess I'll keep using my Pinnacle while I try to figure out the trial version of Adobe.

Comment

When you download your video from your camera to your computer, make sure that the settings are full DV quality. This video is now sitting in your editing program untouched and unedited. Now edit as you please. When you go to render it, or save the edited movie, make sure you save it as an .avi or mpeg2 and then burn it to dvd.

As long as you still have the video that you uploaded from your camera untouched, you can continue to edit and save in many different formats.

Comment

I have the edited video(still in windows movie maker) unsaved on PC. I got Roxio to convert to I think MPEG-2 and burned to disc. I was disappointed with the quality of playback audio and video. Where do I go from here. I could recapture the video from camera using Roxio but I have HOURS of labor into editing this HOURS of footage. The finished product that I can still edit is in .wmv format I assume? Will burning to DVD format improve quality? I have DVD+R but Roxio says it must be a DVD+R DL. I was told by a non TBHer(second hand through another) that my best bet is to recapture video with Roxio. I could but man all those hours of editing, and having to relearn the new editing program.

Bill, I used it a little on the editing. I could split audio added to movie so I am guessing that you could split video as well. My problem is I am use to the basic WMM. This thing has 10 times more options. Takes me forever to find what I want then another forever to figure the ins and outs of it. I will play with it some more today and see what I can figure out Bill. I am a little disappointed at the general look. Kinda plain and blah. Time will tell. I was told that Pinnicle Platinum Ed. was the best for just editing but that Roxio supported more formats and could convert one to another. I like that option.

Comment

I don't use Windows Movie maker but I just played with it for a bit.

Hit the save to computer button under finish movie. Then name it what ever you would like and select the folder that you would like to save it in and hit next. On this screen you need to select "show more choices". This will pull up three buttons for you to pick from. Select other settings and then on the drop down menu, select DV-AVI (NTSC). This will save the video in full DV quality suitable for a DVD.

Comment

COOL! Thanks Fanatic. So when I burn to disc using Roxio, what format do I want to use for play back on standard DVD player? I know, I ask alot of questions. I am not much on reading the novels that come with the software and don't understand them anyway. I am a trial and error/hands on type. I would prefer to put video on CD-R vs. DVD but will do which ever gives best results. So far everthing will fit on CD. Thanks again for the info Fanatic.

Comment

OOPS, apparently my file size is to large to same in that format. It is a compilation of my whole season. About 36min. of video. When I try to save it, it tells me I am exceeding the 4GB limit something or another??? It will be about 8GB to save in that format. What now?

Comment

Originally posted by finatic View Post
                            When you download your video from your camera to your computer, make sure that the settings are full DV quality.
                            This is what I do in Pinnacle. When I go to make the actual clip I choose which format to go with.

Jason let me know if you figure it out. If you find how to cut a clip, not just trim it, let me know. I agree, pretty blah.

Comment

Originally posted by texag93 View Post
                              OOPS, apparently my file size is to large to same in that format. It is a compilation of my whole season. About 36min. of video. When I try to save it, it tells me I am exceeding the 4GB limit something or another??? It will be about 8GB to save in that format. What now?

Anyone????

Comment

Working...
                              X