Advanced Camera Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advanced Camera Settings

Well my new camera is definately over my user level , but I'm willing to learn and hope that some creativity can help me maximize this camera's features. Now granted I could leave everything on Auto, but I'd like to learn what each one could be utilized for.

After reading, and re-reading the advanced settings of the user's manual I still have some questions regarding the following settings. When in hunting situations would I need to adjust the following settings?

Exposure Backlit Subjects: I was playing with this feature when filming one of my rugrats. He looked dark on the couch (black couch) and as soon as I hit the backlit button, it adjusted the light and such where you could distinguish him very clearly from blending in with the couch looking like a silhouette.

Spot Light: Unless we are doing a night hunt under hog lights, I don't think I would use this feature, but please let me know if there is something I'm not thinking about

White Balance: ?? Should I do this when shooting inside ground blinds? Not sure exactly what to do here.

Iris: Would I adjust this when I want the animal/subject to be in focus and blur the background so it makes the animal/subject stand out more? Kind of like the Portrait setting on Digital Cameras?

Gain: The only thing I learned about this was to adjust this when shooting dark objects...What does adjusting the gain do? Sharpen up the dark subject/animal?

Shutter Speed: What situations would I want to mess with this?

Im in the same boat. I just bought a high dollar camera and wish it had a EZ button like my cheap one did.

Comment

Not sure which camera you have, but there is an auto setting. For the standard user it is a great feature. If you are shooting for TV, it is not something that you will want to use. At that point you will want to go manual and do a white balance, and mess with the iris etc. Read that manual and I am sure that you will find an auto setting to where you simply have to shoot. I would however recomend that you play around with it all and learn those things as they will only make your video better.

Example, when the light gets low, at the end of the day or early morning, you can go to manual and adjust the iris and get a little more light while sacrificing quality. In real life, a while balance is needed when the light changes, meaning if you are shooting outside, then go inside. If you continue to shoot inside while white balanced for outside, your color will be off.

Hope thhis helps a little.

Comment

He has a Sony FX1, and I believe Marty has a VX-2100 sony...

ON another note I watched a behind the scenes show about 'The Deadliest Catch" It was filmed almost entirly by Sony FX1's...

Comment

I am fairly certain that camera has an auto mode. Look around in the manual or on the camera itself.

Comment

It does........ On left side of camera put the selector on AUTO , and read the manual on how to use the advanced selections like Iris control and gain options, white balance and so on...

Comment

I am very happy with my 2100. I used it the other night and I didn't get a shot but I was filming a Hog with hardly any light left.

Comment

LOL!! The hogs back there are big enough to eat you Buff!!

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Singleshot. It does have the Auto, which is very, very good.

I am just trying to find ways to use this camera to it's maximum capabilities, and wanting to learn what the settings that I mentioned in the previous post could relate to filming hunts. The manual just basically says, "here's where these controls are, and here is how to adjust them".

We can even program these cameras to memorize certain settings so all of those settings can be adjusted to our liking at a touch of a button.

Using your scenario of going from outside to inside, instead of having to re-adjust our white balance, we could just pre-program it and when we go inside, just hit the hotkey to activate the lower light settings.

Dale, did they discuss allot of the pre-planning, or just basically field producing, and shot setups? Dang it Dale, call me next time you know that's on TV!

Comment

You also can adjust your gain to get more light but it definately degrades the quality of your footage.

Comment

Thanks James. I tinkered with the gain while shooting outdoors the other evening. When I played it back on a TV, I could definately tell that it is "almost" not worth even touching.

It looked as if I was watching an old vintage beta tape shot in poor lighting.

Comment

Working...
                      X