Elevated practice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elevated practice

I gave myself just three shots at the 3d javi target. I wanted to try the quality vs quantity practice. I placed the javi 17yds from the base of the platform and also added a slight quartering to shot. What do yall think about the shot placement from 12' high on a pig. Im ready for sunday night to get out..

Last edited by DWA; 04-26-2017, 06:43 PM.

They die fairly easy. That said those are good shots. Post ldp.s..

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

DWA that is some real good shooting sir! I would not want to be a critter in your sights. Good luck and post up on your success.

Comment

That is good shooting, but I pegged one last year just a little lower, and as far as I know, he's still running. The heart is right between the front legs, and fairly low.

If I could shoot like that, I might take my old Red Wing Hunter for a spin !

Comment

Good group
          Looks like your ready

Comment

Dang good group. But on pigs ( since you asked) from an elevated position I'd shoot for the lower 3rd and straight up the leg. Anything above the halfway line is to high.

Comment

Originally posted by DWA View Post
              I gave myself just three shots at the 3d javi target. I wanted to try the quality vs quantity practice. I placed the javi 17yds from the base of the platform and also added a slight quartering to shot. What do yall think about the shot placement from 12' high on a pig. Im ready for sunday night to get out..
              Are you hunting javi or hogs?

Either way, while it is hard to tell with the pic, I don't like the shot placement that I see from that pic. Quartering to you is asking for trouble. Wait for the broadside shot or quarter away. Javis shuffle around so much, it makes sense to be patient.

Your arrow looks to be in the shoulder blade.

Javis have skinny legs, so can be hard to guage angle and offside shoulder... I tend to like to use thier collar as a reference.
              Originally posted by DRT View Post
              They die fairly easy. That said those are good shots. Post ldp.s..

I know several hunters that would disagree with that statement. They can run and hide like any other animal when shot poorly.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Those were good shots, and consistent, if that was where you were aiming. But don't be surprised if you were to lose a pig hit in that spot! You almost can't hit one too low, but you can very easily hit one too high!!!! I also think you are asking for trouble in taking the quartering to shot. Wait for a broadside or quartering away shot, then hit him low and tight!!!

This is more the shot i would be looking for:

Click image for larger version

Name:	javi.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	24493857

Good luck!

Bisch
                Last edited by Bisch; 04-26-2017, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Everyone has their philosophy but once I started pulling my shots back behind the shoulder far enough to miss bone and have a clean pass through I've had great results and I recover my shaft with VPA 3 Blade Non Vented.

Its like they don't notice they are done for, walk about 15 yards and tip over for the death spiral. It works so good the other hogs kinda nose the first one and leaves me at least one more shot.

I usually sit on the ground sans blind though unless rifle hunting.

"Thats good shootin Tex"
                  Last edited by Voodoo; 04-26-2017, 08:12 PM.

Comment

I assumed javelina since that was the target. The only one I didn't recover I hit through the hind legs. I've had short recovery tracks on anything near the chest. Some that didn't make it out of the dirt road. All with training wheels. Would like to give them a go with my Widow.

Comment

That's a great group for sure!! Like already mentioned though quartering to is a bad angle. I shot a javi quartering to me a couple years with a Rage Hypodermic in my compound, complete pass through but never recovered him. It was raining and that was bad for the blood trailing, but I can't help but think if I'd shot him broad side he would have been down in sight.

Comment

I guess I should have been more clear. I didn't purposely set the target up quartering to me. It wasn't until I'd actually climbed up on to the base did I realize that I didn't Square it up. So instead of climbing back down to fix it I decided to see if I could place a kill shot. I've personally never shot a pig at that angle so I was kind of guessing on where a kill shot would be if I should have or could place it if I needed to. Anyways thank you for the compliments on the shooting I have shot at least an arrow a for months and feel like i keep getting better with the info here and other trad sites. If i can just be that good on animals ill be excited.

Comment

I've shot pigs quartering to me. 50/50 on locating them. If you break the shoulder down or get into the chest in front of the shoulder your chances are good. But at the back part of the shoulder or just behind it and you aren't going to find it most likely. Take out one lung on a pig and they can go a long way.

Comment

Good group. Killem all.

Comment

The skin is also much thicker there on a hog vs a javi.

Regarding javis. They are spinjitsu masters and often spin on a shot vs duck and run. It is my observation that they tend to spin more on that quarter towards shot. They are small and move fast.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X