Long-sitting car rehab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long-sitting car rehab

I've been offered a "free" mid 2000's Mitsubishi Lancer, but it has set up for three years or so. It reportedly had no issues before they stopped driving it. Sitting on dirt out at the ranch.

I have some car experience, but haven't tackled anything like this.

I'm assuming battery, tires, fluid changes at a minimum.

I'm thinking it would be great if it was as simple as a new battery, drive it to town, get some new tires and a fluid change.

It's just as likely all the tires are dry rotted, in which case I'll put it on blocks and take the rims to town.

What other considerations before I start?

Have a kid turning 16 in April, and another next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mileage??????????

Comment

Pull the plugs out and put a little Marvel Mystery oil down the cylinders before you crank it over. The cylinders will be dry and you could score the piston rings with it sitting for so long. I'd also look at trying to get as much of the old fuel out of the gas tank before you try to start it. Injectors may be clogged/gummed up also.
        Once you get it running, I'd put at least a couple thousand miles on it to make sure there are no other issues before turning the kid loose in it. Just to be on the safe side. I wouldn't want them stranded on the side of road without some knowledge of how to fix a few things.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
          Mileage??????????

IDK yet.

Regarding turning the kid loose, I am as likely to drive it to work, especially if it’s quirky.

Comment

Timing belt...

Comment

If it's over 100k you need to throw a bunch of money at it.

If it is PM me for specifics..........

Comment

Hopefully rats havent nested in it and chewed up all the wires.

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
                  Hopefully rats havent nested in it and chewed up all the wires.

I hope they stayed in all the other cars, the multitude of sheds iand the trailer house, LOL.

In addition to this one, there are six other cars, two campers, a Doublewide, and a site built house. Five storage buildings as well

Comment

Originally posted by kmack View Post
                    Pull the plugs out and put a little Marvel Mystery oil down the cylinders before you crank it over. The cylinders will be dry and you could score the piston rings with it sitting for so long. I'd also look at trying to get as much of the old fuel out of the gas tank before you try to start it. Injectors may be clogged/gummed up also.
                    Once you get it running, I'd put at least a couple thousand miles on it to make sure there are no other issues before turning the kid loose in it. Just to be on the safe side. I wouldn't want them stranded on the side of road without some knowledge of how to fix a few things.

This^^^^^^^ Also a full tune up while at it. Have bought and drove several truck that have sat for years. Ended up driving them for years.

“There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” -Fred Bear-

Comment

Drain the tank and put in some clean fuel. Crank over with the plugs undone after putting in some mystery oil in each cylinder.

Comment

A lot of good info on here, hopefully it’s a easy fix.

Comment

Headed down there on the 21st to give it a good look and plan for what to bring when I come back later.

Comment

Make sure you get a title. A bill of sale is doable but is a bit of a head-ache.

I'd just plan on bringing a trailer and a portable winch now. Then you can get it home and start figuring out what is needed at your leisure.

Comment

So we finally got the keys this weekend. Hooked it up to jumper cables and I’ll be danged, it started right up. Empty light is on, so fuel is not too sketchy. Oil, coolant, ps, brake fluids are full. At least one tire has pretty good cracks, but all are holding air.

Ran it 30-40 seconds, twice. Didn’t rev or try to move it.

Next trip will be trailer haul 200 miles back home.

143k miles.

Comment

Working...
                              X