This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saturday hunt with my Daughter

Got to do something I hadn't been able to do for a while, take my Daughter with me hunting. When she was younger I used to take her with me off and on as much as I could. She lived with her mom, and back then she was just a sidekick, not ready to be behind the gun. She is older now, and a few years ago decided to come live with me. Being a teenager and in high school, there is always more important things to do than hang with dear old dad hunting. I never push it, she knows you can join me anytime. Plus due to an arm injury this is the first time in the last two years that she is cleared to shoot a gun. She knew I was leaving to head to our land Friday, I was excited to get the text at noon saying "dad I think I want to hunt with you this weekend". Of course the answer was yes.

We packed up and headed out that afternoon, for what was going to be our first hunt in a while. Just the two of us. Talked a bit on the way up there about what we could see, I showed her some pictures of the deer I had been seeing. Mostly she did what teenagers do and played on her phone.

Saturday morning was early for her, but no complaints she got up and ready. Out to the stand we went, which was just a short walk. Got all setup and as the sun came up we started to see deer. A good number of deer that morning, I counted double digits. Only problem was it must have been kiddy day at my feeders, because not a mature buck or doe came out. All yearlings, and two year olds. Syd had a plan in her mind, she had shot a on spike before, so she just wanted a buck larger than that one. I explained the 13 inch rule, which she totally hated and thought was stupid. She was very patient and watch as deer after deer came and went. At about 8am I could see the sit was wearing on her. I told her lets stay another 30 minutes and then go get breakfast. Just about that time, out pops a UNICORN. Ok it was a young spike with only one antler. She said I want to take him. It was at a feeder less than 50 yards away, and would be a good shot for her. I gave the green light and she put him down in the spot he stood. The calibration began! Our goal next time is to get the larger buck, maybe a nice one to put on the wall.

As parents we never get enough of these times with our kids. They grow so fast. I know it won't be the largest deer she ever shoots. Still I will never forget the day we spent together and the selfie she and I took with that Unicorn she shot!
    Attached Files

Congratulations on the deer and the time spent with your daughter!

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

That is what it is all about. Congrats!

Comment

Good times! Mine is 14 now. I regret all of those sits when I had to tell her "he's not old enough". I finally paid for a hunt last year so she could kill a buck. Less than half what I used to spend lease hunting

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
          Last edited by tgil; 11-13-2017, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Originally posted by Deepwoods View Post
              Got to do something I hadn't been able to do for a while, take my Daughter with me hunting. When she was younger I used to take her with me off and on as much as I could. She lived with her mom, and back then she was just a sidekick, not ready to be behind the gun. She is older now, and a few years ago decided to come live with me. Being a teenager and in high school, there is always more important things to do than hang with dear old dad hunting. I never push it, she knows you can join me anytime. Plus due to an arm injury this is the first time in the last two years that she is cleared to shoot a gun. She knew I was leaving to head to our land Friday, I was excited to get the text at noon saying "dad I think I want to hunt with you this weekend". Of course the answer was yes.

We packed up and headed out that afternoon, for what was going to be our first hunt in a while. Just the two of us. Talked a bit on the way up there about what we could see, I showed her some pictures of the deer I had been seeing. Mostly she did what teenagers do and played on her phone.

Saturday morning was early for her, but no complaints she got up and ready. Out to the stand we went, which was just a short walk. Got all setup and as the sun came up we started to see deer. A good number of deer that morning, I counted double digits. Only problem was it must have been kiddy day at my feeders, because not a mature buck or doe came out. All yearlings, and two year olds. Syd had a plan in her mind, she had shot a on spike before, so she just wanted a buck larger than that one. I explained the 13 inch rule, which she totally hated and thought was stupid. She was very patient and watch as deer after deer came and went. At about 8am I could see the sit was wearing on her. I told her lets stay another 30 minutes and then go get breakfast. Just about that time, out pops a UNICORN. Ok it was a young spike with only one antler. She said I want to take him. It was at a feeder less than 50 yards away, and would be a good shot for her. I gave the green light and she put him down in the spot he stood. The calibration began! Our goal next time is to get the larger buck, maybe a nice one to put on the wall.

As parents we never get enough of these times with our kids. They grow so fast. I know it won't be the largest deer she ever shoots. Still I will never forget the day we spent together and the selfie she and I took with that Unicorn she shot!
              Hahahahha twin i shot yhis on sunday morning hahha

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats to both of Y'all!
                Memories for life there!

Comment

Congratulations on the Unicorn

Comment

Working...
                  X