Theatre props

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theatre props

My wife is a theatre director in Austin. Occasionally I get manipulated into bailing out her technical director. I don't have book smarts but can envision a widget in my head as someone describes it to me and then build it without prints.

My 1st go was a ship for The Little Mermaid musical. All the direction I got was a top down base sketch of the general size. She also said the ship needed to be 4 pieces, break apart, and the mast had to fall. The kids and I put in a total of 467 volunteer hours on this project.

This is what I came up with (scene from ship wreck during storm)

2nd was a moving modular 2 story set for Newsies the musical. Caveat was that the 2 structures had to be able to be pushed together and complement each other with kids crossing from one to the other. I accomplished this with mating gates on spring hinges and latches to hold them open. Oh yeah, and it had to be modular in case any other schools wanted to use them in the future. We had 512 volunteer hours build these bad boys. Pictures below.

Teaching kids now days is hard. They have no imagination. I give a class each month where I give them an idea about an object and they have to sketch, design, and build it without electronics. We do brainstorming events where the entire group has input and the project morphs. Ideas are challenged and each kid is expected to defend their input without confrontation. This helps them learn collaboration and how to yield if others have better input. They also get to see how each person, no matter who they are, can provide valuable feedback and direction.
    Attached Files

Awesome work. Those are very impressive!

I would've never thought theater/drama kids had "no imagination", though...

Comment

Nicely done.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
        Awesome work. Those are very impressive!

I would've never thought theater/drama kids had "no imagination", though...

Technical Theatre is one of the "I need a stupid fine arts credit" classes. Kids enroll and only do minimum to pass. I would say 10% are there to learn/work and the other 90% are worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
          Technical Theatre is one of the "I need a stupid fine arts credit" classes. Kids enroll and only do minimum to pass. I would say 10% are there to learn/work and the other 90% are worthless.
          I took an art appreciation class at LSU ... I get it

Comment

That was over the top AWESOME for that ship. Very good work. Good on ya for imparting some wisdom to our future.

Comment

Awesome! My daughter is in advanced theater in LISD and I have been roped into being the stage/prop dad. I built a fake stone wall for one act play last semester and just found out I'm going to be building a stage on the stage for the upcoming spring show.

Comment

I have been wanting to do the double stage with rotating rounds and tracks for props. No one want to pay for it though.

Comment

Looks like that might be a performance of Newsies

Comment

I have a dream of making modular bolt together sets that I can store and rent out.

Comment

Greatness. Very nice work and use of cranium.

Comment

Dang--you are just like our son---He's the primary set builder for the Christian Youth Theater group in their town.

Comment

Those were both awesome. Great work!

Comment

Nice job. As the parent of a theatre kid and being handy too I got lots of requests for props mostly. I love doing it.

Comment

I just finished "The Hourglass" from 'Freaky 'Friday'

Each side has a CR123 battery and 60 lumen red led wired to latching PCB switches. They are held together in the center by two 40lb neodymium magnets.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by TN_boy; 01-30-2020, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X