No announcement yet.

Air Bags on a 1/2 Ton?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do airbags eliminate the need to use a load leveling hitch on larger trailers?

Comment

Had airbags and a b&w hitch in an f150. While I don't recommend hauling anything over the normal tow rating, that truck could handle a lot of weight because of those bags. Never had to worry about suspension, but you need to be careful with the transmission when loading down a half ton

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
        I'm driving a 2016 F150 with the 5.0 and when I pull my SXS it really squats the tail end. It doesn't have a problem doing the pulling I just don't like the sag. Have any of you guys had air bags put on a 1/2 ton for this reason?
        Then you are probably fairly significantly overweight. Have you weighed the rig on a scale? Airbags don't increase the weight capabilities or ratings of a vehicle.

LWD

Comment

Do you have these on your vehicle?
          I have them on my welding rig and a friend has them on a Dodge dually. My rig is heavy with out a trailer and they helped it a lot. My friend bales hay for a living so he is hauling a dual, tandem goose neck trailer almost daily through the summer and he says they are great but not as good as his last truck with air bags. He says he would prefer air bags over the Timbrens but the Timbrens are still good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
            I have AirLift bags in my Tundra.
            No downsides.
            X2. Best add on I did to the truck.

Comment

My dad has them on his f-150 and they are ******. We had the truck loaded down along with trailer and when we filled the bags it made a lot of difference!!

Comment

I've had bags on my last two tundras. Love em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm driving a 2016 F150 with the 5.0 and when I pull my SXS it really squats the tail end. It doesn't have a problem doing the pulling I just don't like the sag. Have any of you guys had air bags put on a 1/2 ton for this reason?

"Firestone. I have the system with the gauge and compressor to control it from the inside."

^^^^ do this.
                  Yep for that exact reason above. I put some Firestone bags on mine simply so I could level it out for steering..
                  Last edited by Matt_C; 04-25-2017, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Just curious if the OP's truck has a leveling kit?

Comment

Have you thought about a ball thats a little taller and scooting the sxs back a little? Just because Walmart has all the hitches in the drop configuration doesn't mean it's the best way.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Comment

I have Airlift on my 2013 f150 4x4 with a front leveling Bilstien shocks.
                        I haul construction material and wanted it to sit level when its loaded or pulling a heavy tongue weighted trailer.
                        It works great - helps keep the truck stable and sitting level.
                        Only down side is I tend to over load it at times......

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post
                          Just curious if the OP's truck has a leveling kit?
                          Yessir it has the front leveling kit

Comment

Originally posted by hellbndr23 View Post
                            Have you thought about a ball thats a little taller and scooting the sxs back a little? Just because Walmart has all the hitches in the drop configuration doesn't mean it's the best way.

I actually put on a straight/no drop to pull on Sunday and with the 2 rangers the trailer was completely full no room to back anything up.

Comment

I actually put on a straight/no drop to pull on Sunday and with the 2 rangers the trailer was completely full no room to back anything up.
                              Did it help? Used to have a diesel excursion that required a 6" lift hitch before it would stop squatting while towing a car trailer and a mustang.

Comment

Originally posted by texizona View Post
                                Do airbags eliminate the need to use a load leveling hitch on larger trailers?
                                From what I have read online, no. Airbags do not replace the safety aspect of using a load leveling hitch. They serve only to level out the tow vehicle and soften the ride.

Comment

Working...
                                X