Native vs enhanced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Native vs enhanced

Building off my last thread about whitetail vs exotics.
    Here's my question if you were to bring in deer to enhance your genetics would you A or B after releasing them in a soft pen
    A) kill off as many of the native deer as possible to where there will be less deer with inferior genetics compared to what has been brought in
    B) hunt it as normal, killing your normal amount of deer and just realease what is brought in.

We did "A" and never looked back!

Comment

IMO you need to be able to flood the place with new genetics that you like by putting in a minimum of 50% or more of the population with new genetics to make an impact.

Comment

Kill off native deer and let the better genetics get established on the property

Comment

A

Comment

Multiple studies to include one by A&M have shown that the young and inferior genetic bucks are more aggresive breeders. You have to kill cull bucks.

Comment

I'll be the odd man out. B. My advice to landowners who want to do as you have described of bringing in new genetics is to leave natives in place and bring in a mix of bucks and bred does. Bred does are the best bang for the buck, no pun intended. You pay for one animal and potentially get three. That, and if the bred does are bought right out of different bucks than are actually released, you get even more widespread introduced genetics. Hunt as normal and take out the numbers you need as far as native does and bucks, but lay off the introduced stuff for the first two years and you'll be good to go.

Comment

A

Comment

Working...
                X