Welding question, need answer soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welding question, need answer soon

110 v Lincoln wire welder. What settings should I use to weld cattle panel to 14 ga. steel?

Thanks in advance!

It can be hard to say not knowing what amerage = A/B/C/D/E settings, wire size, wire speed, and gas if your using it. But I'd venture to say on the lower side . Try the B or C setting with 1/3 the max wire speed then run it up till it seems to hot, then back it off a little. If you start out to hot (constantly burning through), slow the wire down some or turn the heat down. That should get you started. If you know the amp setting, prob start around 80-85 amps with .030" wire. Just find the wire speed, up or down, that works best for ya after that. Any more questions, take a pick of your weld beads and post for evauation.

Comment

Texas grown i love ur avatar

Comment

One setting below the one that burns through?

Comment

Probably B or C

Comment

I have the same type of MIG, I would say on 14ga use the 2 with the wire speed on 3-4. I'm a backyard welder and I usually find it works best to "feel" the wire, if it's trying to push my hand back, slow the wire, or turn up the power a notch. If all else fails, grind it and try again.

Comment

there is usually a thickness chart in the door or side panel of the welder. just start off by welding on the 14 gauge till it welds a goos bead and then blend your panel into it

Comment

I would say if you are using flux core wire to set it on 2 and B. I have the 220v lincoln and there is a chart inside the door on the side of the machine where the wire feed is. Just raise the door all the way up and you should be lookin at it.

Comment

just dont breath the smoke coming off of the galvanized cattle panels when your welding,id say with 110 welder go fairly high setting

Comment

Originally posted by paintman View Post
                    just dont breath the smoke coming off of the galvanized cattle panels when your welding,..........................
                    Or mess with the yellow residue left around the weld from galvanized metal. Both are bad bad stuff.

(Nice call Paintman. Most folk don't know it is very dangerous stuff )

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                      Or mess with the yellow residue left around the weld from galvanized metal. Both are bad bad stuff.

(Nice call Paintman. Most folk don't know it is very dangerous stuff )
                      Drink you a big big glass of milk. That will help some . If you have never been sick from this you will wish you hadn't. It has put my in bed several times.

Comment

In regards to the galvanizing, I have found that if you hit it with a torch until it turns yellow, then brush it off before welding, I can get much nicer (not to mention stronger) welds. As an added benefit, when I'm using the torch, there's a lot less concentration required, so I can pay more attention to the smoke coming off the part and make sure I don't breath any of it. When welding, behind the hood, and concentrating on a bead, I don't pay much attention to anything else and always end up with some of the smoke in my lungs.

Comment

Working...
                        X