Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Martin made one I think.

Comment

The hoyt carbon spyder in 80 shoots really nice does not even feel like 80

Comment

I'll just throw my own opinion in here. Everyone has it covered on if you want it and can do it, go for it.

Depending on what you get and shoot, you can get a fair amount of difference depending on your arrow set up. if you get to try shooting some bows before you get it, then try out some different arrow set ups too. I know that's more in the tuning phase for me, but f you get the chance to try it before you buy it, why not try it all.

Comment

Well since I started this post Id figured id say what I ended up getting. I ended up buying the Matthews Monster MR8 80lb limbs. Its set at 77 pounds right now. Have shot it for a week now and have come to absolutely love the bow. The draw is very smooth and I have been able to shoot 30-40 times a day for the past week. And also for the high poundage haters, I have been able to pull the bow slow and smooth while sitting on the ground, lifting weights pays off lol. I maybe should of not posted this topic on 80 lb bows because of the love/hate relationship people have with them, but lesson learned and there were some good tips i found in this topic that lead to me getting the bow. Pic below is a grouping I had at 60 yards the other day. (pic is sideways for some reason, two arrows is the bottom of the target)
          Attached Files

Comment

I'll echo what has already been said. Do not get this bow unless you are some kind of body builder who can draw 80 as easily as most draw 60. I shoot 70# because that is what I am COMFORTABLE AND ACCURATE with. Out of my mathews chill I get 320 fps with a 400 total grain arrow, which is plenty kinetic energy for any North American big game, except for moose. Even then a bit heavier arrow would get the job done. There is no need for 80#, but if you decide to go that route, I highly recommend a mathews chill or chill r, or hoyt spyder turbo.

Comment

I do not see a problem at all shooting an 80# bow, some guys can easily draw it and they are not body builders. I have seen body builders struggle to pull back 70. As far as needing it, well some folks shoot deer with a 300 RUM, better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it, right.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxxisman View Post
                I'll echo what has already been said. Do not get this bow unless you are some kind of body builder who can draw 80 as easily as most draw 60. I shoot 70# because that is what I am COMFORTABLE AND ACCURATE with. Out of my mathews chill I get 320 fps with a 400 total grain arrow, which is plenty kinetic energy for any North American big game, except for moose. Even then a bit heavier arrow would get the job done. There is no need for 80#, but if you decide to go that route, I highly recommend a mathews chill or chill r, or hoyt spyder turbo.

Lol. You don't have to be a body builder. Lmfao!!!! If you can shoot it shoot it. I don't care if it's 90.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                  Lol. You don't have to be a body builder. Lmfao!!!! If you can shoot it shoot it. I don't care if it's 90.
                  He meant power lifter

Sorry, just adding fuel

Comment

Originally posted by PSD Ryan View Post
                    He meant power lifter

Sorry, just adding fuel

Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                      If you condition your body 80lbs will be nothing

Most guys that advocate light draw weights don't excercise/condition theirselves.

Get in the gym, do your back excercises and 80 will be cake

Btw bowtech makes a 80lb bow

I personally shoot 72#'s

That being said, for a whitetail, 80# isn't necessary.

With today's bows you can shoot 60# bows that outperform a 70# bow from 5 years ago
                      I shoot 72#'s as well - I see no issue with going higher but to be honest, there's no animal on the planet that I'll ever have a chance to hunt that won't drop dead with the KE I'm producing, coupled with the all-important shot placement factor.

Comment

Try Pse full throttle 370ibo, I'm shooting a Pse Evo 7 407gr. 301fps 70# 30"dl, the heavier arrows will quiet your bow down

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                          I shoot 600+ grains out of 55#
                          Not sure why you want to go 80#.
                          Just remember, 80 is much harder than 60-65 and being harder to draw means more movement which means getting busted more often
                          ^^^^^^
                          this.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                            I was being facetious. I know it doesn't take a ton to draw 80, but I do know most guys are not inclined to do so stealthily and effortlessly.

Comment

IF you look like Cameron Hanes (check him out on youtube), and you shoot as much as he does and the work out, I would say go for the 80lbs that he shoots every day, he also has a 90lb bow and shoots Easton FMJ Dangerous Game arrows (heavy). But for deer and hogs, I shoot 60lbs shooting a Bowtech Assassin with a Easton FMJ arrow (505 grains) and I get a pass through on all my deer and was able to punch both shoulders of a pig.

Comment

I have a 80# original Monster 6 and shoot 734gr FMJ DG's out of it. I have had both shoulders operated on in my 46 years alive and have no issue drawing back or holding. I practice shooting it sitting down and that does make a difference in the draw cycle.
                                If you feel comfortable shooting it, then go for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X