Calling the offshore guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chuy View Post
    I like to launch out of either TXCity or Freeport. Freeport gets to deeper water faster, but since the slowdown in O&G there have been a good number of rigs taken down. Still some good rigs to run to though. Take a look at TPWD artificial reef locations as well. Buoys also hold fish, so don't be afraid to try those out.

what boat? 4-6 seas can mean a whole lot different in a 18 boat vs a 23 ft boat. From the 150, I'm guessing toward the 18-20 ft range. You may need to be very picky on when you go. Even 2 ft can be disastrous if the wave period is short. 4 foot can be nice and easy in a long wave period. Remember, the weathermen are usually drunk, double whatever height they call for.
    lol drunk weathermen...

I have a 22' Semi V Laguna I will not be going out over 2' seas... No thank you!!

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
      I would be very careful with a single 150. All it takes is loosing the motor in some 3-4s to cause problems quick.
      Yeah, single motor is scary for sure. Need to be very careful and pick my days cautiously

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
        Where are you driving from. In my opinion it is hard to beat Port Mansfield. You can catch solid state snaps there if you want to fish deep water fish the shelf is close. Close rigs out of Freeport right now are just bulls reds and sharks.
        Dang, maybe one day. That is pretty far south. I am in Hempstead NW of Houston

Comment

I'd launch out of Matagorda, little less crowded than further up the coast. Plenty of rigs close by but I rarely fish them. I've never seemed to do any good, lots of sharks and reds, and occasional king.

Comment

Calling the offshore guys

Originally posted by glen View Post
            Where are you driving from. In my opinion it is hard to beat Port Mansfield. You can catch solid state snaps there if you want to fish deep water fish the shelf is close. Close rigs out of Freeport right now are just bulls reds and sharks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Last edited by Jmsck12; 10-12-2017, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
              I'd launch out of Matagorda, little less crowded than further up the coast. Plenty of rigs close by but I rarely fish them. I've never seemed to do any good, lots of sharks and reds, and occasional king.
              What marina do you use? The guy that owned my boat before me always used Matagorda and told me how to fish the rigs there so I would like to try it one day.

Comment

There are a couple different places you can launch. Matagorda Harbor or you can launch at River Bend. We usually launch out of the harbor but River Bend is closer to the jetties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You could also launch in Galveston and run out the boat cut. Just remember that things go wrong very quickly in the gulf. Make sure you at least have a PLB and good working radio. If your VHF has a distress function make sure it is connected to your GPS and showing your lat/long. If you need to use it most of the well equipped boats in range will get a popup on their GPS screen showing your position. Your cell phone will stop working just when you need it. Make sure someone on shore knows your intended route and stick with it.

I ran a larger Cape Horn with twins, epirb, radar, etc. Those seemingly calm days can change very quickly. The bigger the boat the faster you can run from a storm, etc. I have heard and responded to way too many radio calls to not at least try to ensure you fully understand how bad things can go and try to plan for it. Remember the Coast Guard may not respond unless lives are at risk; for breakdowns, etc. they will monitor and call Sea Tow. You do not want to see the bill for them to pull you any distance!

I don't want to scare you. I have seen plenty of bay boats enjoy the Jetties and close rigs just make sure you are prepared for any situation you can think of.

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
                    You could also launch in Galveston and run out the boat cut. Just remember that things go wrong very quickly in the gulf. Make sure you at least have a PLB and good working radio. If your VHF has a distress function make sure it is connected to your GPS and showing your lat/long. If you need to use it most of the well equipped boats in range will get a popup on their GPS screen showing your position. Your cell phone will stop working just when you need it. Make sure someone on shore knows your intended route and stick with it.

I ran a larger Cape Horn with twins, epirb, radar, etc. Those seemingly calm days can change very quickly. The bigger the boat the faster you can run from a storm, etc. I have heard and responded to way too many radio calls to not at least try to ensure you fully understand how bad things can go and try to plan for it. Remember the Coast Guard may not respond unless lives are at risk; for breakdowns, etc. they will monitor and call Sea Tow. You do not want to see the bill for them to pull you any distance!

I don't want to scare you. I have seen plenty of bay boats enjoy the Jetties and close rigs just make sure you are prepared for any situation you can think of.

Believe me, I take it very serious and will not just throw caution to the wind and wing something. The open water scares me.. watched too many commercial fishing documentaries and shows to know it can get ugly real fast and those are huge vessels. I have a good radio and large antenna. I still need to get a PLB before I go.

Comment

packery... further south you go the closer you are to deeper water in a shorter distance.

Comment

I would have a kicker motor or a membership in one of the towing services.

Be aware that they are removing rigs left and right, very few left compared to just a few years ago.

The ones that are left get picked over pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by texasair View Post
                          I would have a kicker motor or a membership in one of the towing services.

Be aware that they are removing rigs left and right, very few left compared to just a few years ago.

The ones that are left get picked over pretty good.
                          There is a Sea Tow member stick on the center console... Think I could get away with just saying I'm a member?

Comment

Which do I buy? Don't know crap about these things

Comment

There should be a ton of jack ups stacked in or near shore right now. While often jack ups don't usually hold a lot of fish, they do if they have been sitting in one area for long. And with the slow trend the last couple years in offshore drilling they should be holding fish.

If you come across one that is working I wouldn't waste a lot of time on it. As most times there only on location a month or so before moving to another location. I'd move on and try for the more established platforms. Especially the bigger triple platforms. Port Aransas has some decent sized platforms with in a couple hours of the jetties.

Comment

All good info above. I've fished from Galveston to poc on a limited basis off shore. I like Matty myself and would go to freeport as a second option. Poc has some great fishing but those jetties can turn on you in a heart beat. Be careful.

One other thing that you should always have with the single motor and deep water is a drift sock on a long lead rope. If you to loose your motor, tie the drift sock to the bow and it will keep you pointed into the wind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X