I like my bows FAST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like my bows FAST

I killed this cull this past weekend. I took a break from my pursuit of Lucky Sunday morning. It was raining, sleeting, and snowing off and on and I didn't feel like making the trudge in the mud to my ground blind where I had hunted off and on for over a week.

I had tried to let Mailman kill this 8 last year. He was a 3 1/2 yo with narrow spread, short 3's, and not much hope of getting better in the future. Well, as you can see, he didn't get the job done. The buck came in with a doe and got under my feeder. We haven't killed but 2 bucks off the place this year and are really behind in numbers, so I decided to take matters into my own hands. The feeder is about 14 yards from my Road Feeder ground blind.

I have him at 4 1/2 this year. His breeding is about to stop, although it's a year late.

When I drew, the doe looked at my ground blind and moved off to the left. The buck just kept staring.

I released. You can see the arrow leaving the blind in the upper right hand part of the pic. The sound had to be there by now. He didn't move. The Hammerhead was lickin' its lips.

The next pics show the arrow on its way. Three frames and no reaction yet. He's looking but not seeing and definately didn't react to the bow.

CONTACT!!

I'm used to my arrow just blowing through the deer, but this one didn't. I've lowered my poundage to under 60 lbs, and at first I thought I didn't have enough punch for the hammerhead. Upon cleaning the deer, I buried the head in the opposite shoulder. So, no worries. If you look at the last few pics you can see a fountain of blood pouring out. I could blood track him from my blind. Yep, I like'em fast. I don't worry about quiet.

Last edited by tuthdoc; 08-05-2008, 09:02 PM.

dunno about the bow but thats a fast camera! congrats on the buck

Comment

Very Cool!

Comment

That is cool. What kind of camera are you using?
        Nice story and very nice buck!!!

If you need help in "getting those numbers down"...then just shoot me an email.

Congrats!!

Comment

Sweet tuthdoc!

Comment

It's a Sony 480. I just go frame by frame and click "photo". I don't know how to post video, but I'm a wiz at pics. LOL

I don't normally kill culls like that. We usually try and let the members and their family that haven't killed many deer kill culls like this. Heck, most would mount him as a first deer. I usually kill the nasty buggars. Last couple years we've taken several people new to bowhunting and let them kill their first deer. However, by now we've normally killed at least a dozen bucks. This year, counting one lost buck, we've killed 4 counting mine.

Comment

Congrats tuthdoc. Nice cull.

Comment

Good series of pics TD. I love the frames with the blood pouring out!

I have a video almost like that on a doe that I shot although the outcome was quite different. You can see the arrow on its way and step it thru the frames with the arrow well on its way and she never flinched. However in the last few frames she hit the ground and my arrow just got a little hair as it went over her. Her brisket was on the ground! Her back end never moved she just went down on the front end almost like she could see the arrow coming! I had her as relaxed as a deer ever is and I was shooting out of a Double Bull and I am not a speed freak. Every deer is different I guess. Most of the bucks I have shot don't move....the does seem to react more.

Comment

Congratulations on the groceries and your ears must have been burning. I had lunch with a couple of TBH'ers, BrandonA and RTred, and we were talking about not hearing much from you lately.

We didn't know if you were just hunting or if you finally got mad at Casey and decided to quit posting.

Good to see the proof of which it was.

Comment

Tuthdoc, what are you shooting?

Comment

Doc - let's get you trained on uploading and editing video. It's a piece of cake. I would love to see a slow mo of this shot!

Congrats on taking out a good cull.

Comment

Great series of picutures! Congrats!

Comment

If you like em fast Tuthdoc, you should look at the new Bowtech Airborne bows.

I can't tell any one how we did it but this bow shot a 306gr arrow at 61lbs 345fps today. The guys in the shop were freaking out and I'm sure they will post something about it but they won't tell either
                          This is a 60# bow, 29" draw length, 101st Airborne. That would be 355 fps @ 30". IBO ratings on that bow are 330-340.

The 82nd is 10 fps faster than the 101.

I did some calculations and a 82nd Airborne at the specs that Bowtech lists, at 60# with a 350 grain arrow would shoot at 325 fps+. That my friends is smokin'! Tuthdoc, I'm pretty sure you shoot around 375 grains if I remember correctly. That would put you at 310 fps with a loop and META peep and 80# of KE.

And if he's able to pick up another 15 fps on it then you have 330+fps @ 29"/60# and 350 grain arrow with 86# of KE.

At 30" it would be around 342fps and 91# of KE with a 350 grain arrow.
                          Last edited by Mike D; 11-30-2007, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Cool pics!

Comment

Dang, Tex Cattleman, it doesn't get any slower than that. LOL

I'm shooting an Allegiance. I love the thing. However, I will probably look at the two above mentioned bows during the spring. Even if I don't shoot faster, I can always turn the poundage down and still shoot what I shoot now.

Doncom, this time of year, I spend way too much time sitting in ground blinds, tripods, towers, and treestands, buring lots and lots of video, drinking a lot of Pepsi and eating a lot of PNBCC's. I'm taking this weekend off to head off any divorce rumors, LOL, and then I'll turn my attention to Bo Point on the Junco for a couple weeks. Here's some pics. I really like this deer and have for the last three years. They told me he's mine if I wanted him and I took him. won't score a lot, but I like wide bucks almost as much as I like fast bows. LOL Most of the pics are in velvet, but you can get an idea.

Last edited by tuthdoc; 08-05-2008, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X