Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do you work? What is your motivation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do you work? What is your motivation?

The "do you love your job" thread, along with a thread I started have me thinking. Why do you work? What is your motivation? Of course unless you are rich, you work to make a living. But is there something else that motivates you? Some sort of desire to create something or design something? A sense of accomplishment? A desire to help others?

Do you work just to provide for yourself and family, period? Is that the end all, be all? Would you stamp out 1000 mind numbing boring soul killing widgets a day instead of doing what you are doing now if it paid the same?

I'm doing it so I can go out on my own in the next few years. I'll never be truly happy until I'm working for myself. I dont mind working and I love working hard. But I don't like working on someone else's schedule.

Comment

I work because the bills have to be paid. Not another thing in the world that would motivate me to take 8hrs of my time each day away from my family other than HAVING to

Comment

I teach High School Environmental Science courses and my reasoning is that I see so many instances where our youth has no idea about life outside of the concrete jungles, yet these are the ones that will vote and make decisions later on in life. Hopefully, they gain some understanding of the dynamics of life outside the city's.

Comment

I dont.

Comment

I made a commitment to my wife and children to make sure they had a roof, food and clothes... maybe even a little money for fun things every once in awhile..

If it wasn't for that I'd be sitting on the beach or under a shade tree... I been getting up and going to school and/or work for 61 years... it sucks

Comment

I work to pay bills and support my family. My wife and I save money to eventually buy a chunk of land, pay for our kids first car, college, date nights, emergencies, and hopefully for me to start my own company. Lots of reasons, but I do it for my family. If I HAVE to spend time away from my family, then I better be doing something that benefits us.

Comment

Money! I've been poor and broke before. Having money is way, way better!

Comment

I work 10+ hours a day for the man, for a paycheck. That's it. Not saying im not motivated at work, I am. The harder you work the more you have a chance to get promoted and make more money. That's all work is to me. A means to an end. Spending quality time away from work with my family is my motivation.

Comment

To put a smile on my face, keep my wife happy, keep my dogs hunting, and make sure my kids grow up happy healthy and are raised by someone they look up to and so they know the difference between right and wrong. That's why I work.

Comment

I figure I'm just gonna save up as much money as I can, then light it all on fire one day and start over.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                        Money! I've been poor and broke before. Having money is way, way better!
                        This...

Comment

The lights need to stay on and food needs to be on the table. That's it for me. If I could make a living in the hunting industry I would, but it is practically impossible.

Comment

Millions of welfare recipients are counting on me.

I do it out of necessity. Hunger and being homeless scar me.

Comment

Money. Thats it. No way do i go spend over half my life in west texas for anything other than the oilfield money.

Comment

Working...
                              X