Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I hope this brings back good memories for y’all.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Took my two boys to meet Earl at HEB in Marble Falls, signing autographs while promoting his sausage. He was in a wheel chair, and this was over twenty years ago. He was very friendly talking to each of the kids he met.

According to a Texas Monthly article I read, in 1981 the legislature enshrined Earl Campbell as an Official State Hero Of Texas. Only three other favorite sons—Davy Crockett, Stephen F. Austin, and Sam Houston—had been previous recipients of that honor.

Comment

Back in tha day yo.

Comment

Bring back those days and I will watch again. Earl would just put is head down and plow through the mob of defenders. Franco Harris was another one that I loved to watch carry the ball.

Comment

Wish the Oilers never left Houston.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
            Good days of football. Sat with Earl when I was a kid at the BBQ cookoff. That man ate a whole bbq chicken then took a plate of brisket to go!
            From eating a whole chicken and scoring touchdowns. To peddling sausage in grocery stores.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
              From eating a whole chicken and scoring touchdowns. To peddling sausage in grocery stores.
              he plays golf barefooted too, my dad got a pic with him years ago at a course somewhere around here, no socks or shoes on

edit: i cant find anything about this online, i know he has had foot issues, maybe it was a one time deal...
              Last edited by jshouse; 04-13-2022, 08:45 AM.

Comment

I can still remember watching the Monday night game on 1-3-1983 where Tony made his 99.5 yard touchdown run. Dorsett's 99-yard run came while the Cowboys only had 10 men on the field. Ron Springs misunderstood the play call and ran off of the field prior to the snap. I still enjoy watching highlights of the 70`s, 80`s and most of the 90`s. It brings back lots of good memories of the Cowboy`s that I grew up with and loved.

I remember catching a plane to go snow skiing @ DFW (around 1992) and Dallas had just defeated Green Bay in a playoff game. All of the Green Bay fans were trying to catch a flight home and looked so unhappy and dejected. Those were good time to be a Cowboy fan.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpGRoBw59ms"]Tony Dorsett 99 Yard Run (1982) - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by waterdog View Post
                  they were day and night backs. one was pure power other was speed. two of the very best.

I disagree with calling them day and night backs. Both were great and my favorites from that era. Tony was fast without a doubt. Earl was famous for his power, but he also had impressive speed for a man his size.

Watch these runs. ^^^^^^^

Comment

I loved Tony Dorsett and even remember Howard Cossell badmouthing the cowboys right before the 99 yard run saying " They...think they can just.......turn it on.......look at them now...... backed up to the goal.....line. Then off he goes.

He was my first hero. But, Emmitt Smith was better.

Comment

[QUOTE=tpack;16177330]I Those were good time to be a Cowboy fan.

I lost interest in football totally when Dallas fired Tom Landry. How in the heck do you fire Tom Landry?

Comment

Emmitt and Dion. I miss watching those guys.
                        Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Comment

Parents dropped me off at North Park Sanger Harris for TD's autograph when I was probably 10. Took 4hrs but I still have that autographed photo somewhere. Good memories.

Comment

[quote=Gumbo Man;16177443]
                            Originally posted by tpack View Post
                            I Those were good time to be a Cowboy fan.

I lost interest in football totally when Dallas fired Tom Landry. How in the heck do you fire Tom Landry?
                            Doing it while he was on vacation and he learned about his firing on the TV news.

Comment

Yea at the same time Landry got fired I came home from work and turned on the news. I was a journeyman welder at the time making around 11 dollars an hour. There was a young player right out of college on the sports news saying, and I will repeat verbatim, “ Yea the Alanta Falcon be wanting to sign me to a 1.9 million dollar contract. Me and my agent be holding out fo 2.1 million. They gotta pay up if they want me”. Rubbed me wrong that a rookie at that time thought they were so much better than the rest of us working stiffs. I was done. There’s some great talent out there and a lot of players that are very giving to charities and community but the good old days are long gone when players just wanted to play and prove themselves before demanding the pay that they get now. Definitely not treading on anyone that still watches it.

Comment

Originally posted by tpack View Post
                                Never missed a game then. Never watch anymore.
                                Exactly. Not a single one.

Comment

Working...
                                X