Fall Food Plot Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fall Food Plot Maintenance

What kind of maintenance should we be doing on our fall food plots? Cattle are grazing on them now. Should we try to disk and drag them in a couple of months prior to planting to make sure the soil is Prepped so that it will just take a light disking, broadcasting seed/fertilizer and dragging in late September? Just wanted to see what you guys do to keep your fall food plots ready and if there's any way to improve your success rates? I appreciate the help.

You can disc them a couple times in the late summer to get rid of weeds, etc., or you can burn down with gly about two weeks before you plant, or, if conditions are right, you can disc some fire lanes and burn it off. Your choice.

The best way to improve your plots is to make sure your soil is the proper ph and you use the correct amount and type of fertilizer. Only a soil test will tell you that. I like to turn my plots under when the deer quit using them, but I plant both spring and fall.
    Last edited by Drycreek3189; 04-19-2017, 04:55 PM.

Comment

I would disc as soon as the cattle quit grazing them to have the weed free and keeping the rainfall in the ground until late summer. Then lightly disc to prepare for fall plantings.

Comment

I would plant something else in the plot, I planted milo in my plots a few weeks back. Puts a lot of good organic matter back in the plot when I mow it and disk it in before fall planting, plus the doves like it.

Comment

I would love to plant some milo to help improve organiz matter but wouldn't the cattle keep it grazed down low? We have a 4.5 acre field and a 1.5acre field. I just don't think they would grow well since the cattle could graze it.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
            I would love to plant some milo to help improve organiz matter but wouldn't the cattle keep it grazed down low? We have a 4.5 acre field and a 1.5acre field. I just don't think they would grow well since the cattle could graze it.
            Put up an electric fence.

Comment

Working...
            X