Deer lease. Is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer lease. Is it worth it?

I know this is merely opinion and everyone will be different, but I wanted to ask anyways. The only reason this property has any value to me is because it is 5 minutes from my house. I can hunt before work sometimes. It's that convenient. Smaller property. 25 acres. Has some good deer action. I saw deer this season just about every time I went out. He lives on the property and honestly I think that helps the deer stay a little more comfortable. It's right outside the city limits and there are some subdivisions in the area, but most of the surrounding properties are larger un-hunted properties. I've seen some decent bucks that I know made it through the season and will have opportunities on those next year. Couple coyotes roam around, owner says there's turkey and ive seen plenty of pigs for the off season. The only draw-backs are two things. The price and the livestock. There are 3 horses and two cows that like to mess with the feeders and hang out around the feeders. They tend to scare deer off and have on quite a few occasions this year. I think I can manage that this summer and build some pens to block them off from the hunting areas. I asked him to factor the trouble I had in this year with them and he didn't budge much. I can either split the price with another hunter, which is what I did this year, or I can pay the full price and hunt it by myself. $2200 is what he is asking. Definitely on the high side and a much smaller place, the convenience and deer activity level are the only thing keeping me interested. I have a chance at a couple good sized bucks and plenty of doe. I have a younger family so driving a couple hours to a deer lease would be difficult.

What would y'all do? What would be a counter offer?

What area is it? Most places in Texas you could join an existing lease for $2200...and have more area to hunt. I don't know that I could bring myself to pay $2200 a year for something that small.

Comment

That's insane. What did you pay last year?

I'd call his bluff and offer $800 But if you really like hunting there then pay up.

Comment

Personally I’d split it with a friend/family member. Convenience is nice, especially with a young family

Comment

Seems extremely high for 25 acres. Maybe you can talk him down in price by doing some work for him on the property? Trading your work and time for hunting rights.

Comment

The problem is that somewhere out there someone is paying that much per acre and starts setting the standard.

I would do $1000 since its a nice round number and sounds higher than $999. Plus the convenience factor is nice.

Comment

I think $2200 is just bit high for 25 acres. $1000 would be the highest, I would consider, paying for 25 acres, depending on where its at, and if it was an annual lease. Not seasonal. And if I didn't have to deal with livestock. Been there, done that.

Comment

Originally posted by lordvader View Post
                I think $2200 is just bit high for 25 acres. $1000 would be the highest, I would consider, paying for 25 acres, depending on where its at, and if it was an annual lease. Not seasonal. And if I didn't have to deal with livestock. Been there, done that.
                I agree, $1000 would be the highest. He could possibly squeeze me for a couple hundred more if I was confident I'd have shots at deer.

Comment

I live in Leander and the property is in Liberty hill. I can't seem to find a place within an hour that's less than $3,000 a gun. They are much larger 250-700 acre places though. If I had 3,000 to spend this year I would. Unfortunately I just don't. Next season though. Plus, I know for sure ill have multiple opportunities at some deer. A couple good bucks as well.

Me and another guy paid $1250 a piece this year. It's a yearly access so I can go hunt coyote/pigs/turkey during the year. I knew, and know, it is high I just cant find another place around that price. Especially that close to home. I don't necessarily like hunting the place due to the livestock but i'm afraid I wont find another place within price or distance. I'm going to offer 1000 bucks and if says no he says no. It's almost not worth hunting with another person because its smaller and i'd hate for the other guy to shoot one of the few bucks out there. He's a guy about my age, 30, and I consider him a friend now but he still wants his money lol. He has a huge ranch in panhandle with a lodge that he manages. He said I can hunt that anytime, I just don't have "anytime"
                  Last edited by bcj jones; 01-14-2019, 03:50 PM.

Comment

dont know all of the ins and outs, but I dont think that is worth it at all

Comment

The convenience and deer numbers would have me all in.

Comment

If you like the place and don't need more space it's probably worth it depending on why you hunt and motivating factors, 5 minutes from home is a pretty big deal. You could very well get on a $3000 lease and hate it and still have to drive 2 hours back and forth, need a travel trailer or stay in hotels or awkwardly share a bunkhouse, etc. Nothing beats your own bed and being close to home for emergencies or just run home for a sandwich. Me personally probably wouldn't work for me, I like the adventure of the whole thing and probably wouldn't be terribly adventurous 5 mins from the house. I'm a bit far toward that extreme though and only hunt public land right now because of that so FWIW.

Comment

Probably not worth it to most of you, but he'll get what he's asking from someone if not from the OP. It would be worth it to me if the landowner didn't live on the place and if there weren't cows and horses. Tough call, but I doubt he'll accept a "call his bluff" offer.

Comment

$2200 for 25 acres.... LOL

Comment

I'd offer $1500 (which may be high for some) and see what he says. To me there is a lot of value to have a whole place to yourself that's 5 min from the house. You'll be able to hunt it more and save a ton on your fuel bill.

If there are deer in the area, a good chance for you to harvest 1-2 deer yearly, and you have exclusive hunting rights to me that's worth the $1500
                              Last edited by Daniel32; 01-14-2019, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X