Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prize Winner

On morning, my BIL and I were hunting together and he killed a big 11pt. He had entered a local big buck contest so we took the deer in. While we were there, I went ahead and paid my entry fee too. We left the store and I decided we would go check out a spot in the very back of my cousins place which was ten minutes from the store. We were driving down an old farm lane with thickly grown brush on each side. It was about 1230 on a crystal clear day when a huge buck jumped up right in the middle of the lane!

I slammed on my brakes and the deer broke out across a wide pen pasture. Sam Jumped out and started shooting. My rifle was in the back seat and it took me a few seconds to grab it and stuff a shell in the barrel. By now Sam had shot at him three times and he was about 250yds out and as stretched as a deer can get. I got hooked up and shot. It was almost delayed reaction but the deer went head over heals. I got him! Sam said he got him. I didn't know Sam shot but he had four hulls. We fired at exactly the same time and neither knew the other shot. He was shooting factory loads and I was shooting hand loads with SP/BT bullets. The bullet had lodged under the skin and made a noticeable lump. I slit the skin and popped it out. It was a SP/BT.

He was a heavy typical 12 with 2 kickers. We loaded him up and headed back to the contest. I told the store owner I had the winner. He came out and took one look and accused me of having the deer killed before I entered the contest since it had been less than an hour since I entered! I showed him that the deer was still plenty warm and had Sam as a witness. At the end of season...I won it again

Comment

I bet the store owner wasn't to happy about that one! Almost too good to be true.

Garguy, in your experience, do you find that the bigger bucks move between 11-2 in the middle of the day?

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
        i generally dont have a lot to say, (here at least) but i opened this thread hoping it was a garguy thread. sir i would love to have a cold one and just listen to your stories. it seems you, not the dos equis man, are the most interesting man in the world... haha full of east tx knowledge

You need to watch him feed his pet Gar!!!!!

Comment

Excellent advice, I did the same at Lake Waco

Comment

Just read the entire thread. Great stories GarGuy.

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
              Dang, you must have been bored.

Comment

This thread is about hunting pressured deer and I didn't finish the last story. Apparently he was using the overgrown lane as a sanctuary since he could cross and watch two big fields totally concealed from there. Sometimes they will hide in plain sight!

Comment

Loving it more with every addition!

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                    LOL, I just made that up just like all these stories.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                      LOL, I just made that up just like all these stories.

Comment

Steve, the stories are amazing!! My first real nice buck came off the Lazy K ranch out of Kennard... and I have always considered that one one of my best hunts ever... Dec. 30, '67... next to last day of season back then... He was only an 8, but what a hunt. My dad and uncle had the spot set up for me. I sure miss gettin' to hunt those big woods. Thanks for taking all us along on some epic hunts!

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                          i cant think of a better way to spend an afternoon, than spend a day picking steves brain, feeding a few fish

Comment

GREAT STORIES!!

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
                              Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                              Dang, you must have been bored.
                              Guess I'm bored too...because I read the entire thread for the second time like someone else mentioned, it takes me back to the days of listening to my grandpa and uncles sharing their stories. I wish they were still around to share them

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X