Need TBH's HELP! Looking at buying property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need TBH's HELP! Looking at buying property

I am looking at a property 15 mins north of antlers Oklahoma and I hoped to hear if any of you all had any experience in that area? Any input would be greatly appreciated (Success stories, Animal density, Animal Diversity, ect, ect)

Just a little more specifics about the property

It is a 200 acre plot and very ruff terrain. I only got a chance to look at it this weekend for about 4 hours before I lost day light but saw quite a few deer which is promising and this guy hasn't hunted this property since he bought it 30 years ago (GREAT) and has a great mix of hardwoods and pines where everything else around is all pine plantations but (here it comes the infamous BUT) but all the pine plantations around are leased out hunting camps so i am thinking they have been blasted everywhere around and are just posted up on this 200 acres because its safe....? Not that that is a bad thing but just brain storming

That's a long long way from home. Would you be able to enjoy it? Also, Oklahoma is fairly uncivilized in some respects (like poaching, for example).

Comment

Sounds like it could be a very promising honey hole if you can keep your own pressure to a minimum but like grayson said, it may not be the best option for an absentee land owner. The current owner may not have hunted it, but more than likely other have

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
        That's a long long way from home. Would you be able to enjoy it? Also, Oklahoma is fairly uncivilized in some respects (like poaching, for example).
        That's a pretty broad statement..

I've hunted Oklahoma the majority of my life and have only had a couple game cameras taken off a timber lease during the time that they were clearing timber. I've had more items stolen in one season hunting in Texas.

If you like the property I would jump on it. There are some great deer in that area but they can be really hard to hunt. I have a lease up around Soper not to far from Antlers and have not had an issue with poachers or anything being taken.
        Last edited by sooner00; 02-16-2015, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sooner00 View Post
          That's a pretty broad statement..

I've hunted Oklahoma the majority of my life and have only had a couple game cameras taken off a timber lease during the time that they were clearing timber. I had more items stolen in one season hunting in Texas.

If you like the property I would jump on it. There are some great deer in that area but they can be really hard to hunt. I have a lease up around Soper not to far from Antlers and have not had an issue with poachers or anything taken.
          ^^^^ what he said

Comment

Pm sent

Comment

Interesting things to think about! Yes the distance is a little more than ideal but the price is well under what i expected to pay and pennies on the dollar what I would pay in texas. I could redo all the fencing around the property with the savings to help (Key word Help) deter from any poaching or wonders onto the property.
              I have learned many things about hunting as we all have with trial and error and also many things on this sight and this looks like a good place and the right price but something in my mind is saying could there really be such a perfect place? Are all the plants aligning in the galaxy? lol
              I would just like as much information as possible when I make this decision...
              I am going up this weekend to spend the weekend mapping out the entire property is there anything in particular you guys think i should ask or look for that i might have missed?

Comment

That's a little northern of my stomping ground but I'll gladly help ya out if you need it. All the poaching, trespassing mess is a good bit over rated from my 20 plus years of hunting SE Ok but it does happen some, but then again it does everywhere else to. If you do some searching their are good quality hunting properties a little farther south. If you need any 411 shoot me a pm, hunted all over SE Ok but their are some freaking toads north of antlers to!!!! When I ran the turn pike bi weekly to Tulsa I saw more B&C bucks in that area than any other.... I've seen 4 deer over 200"s standing on the side of the turn pike and have pics of one of them, big boy country for sure.

Comment

I don't understand the concept of buying something that is worth less, just because it is cheaper.

Most people have the same opinion of Oklahoma as posted earlier, and that's a big part of the reason land is cheaper there.

But to each his own....

Comment

Only a few things comes to mind when i think of that state. Meth and trouble. Oh wait and ****ter ponds. Blew my mind behind each trailer house there was a pond. I thought lucky folks. Everyone has a pond. THen found out it is their syptic pond. At least that is what I was told they were. Be to OK one time. Dont really ever see a reason to go back at this point.

Comment

We have an Uncle living north of your acreage in Talahina, and know some folks that hunt up there. Never heard any bad things about deer hunting from them, they have killed a few deer. As for poachers, I've seen game wardens and law enforcement set up all over this great state trying to catch folks hunting illegally. From that terrible East Texas to West Texas and even out Hwy 44 between Corpus and Cotulla, poachers do not discriminate on where they like to kill deer.

Comment

I bought in Oklahoma and don't regret it a bit!

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                          I don't understand the concept of buying something that is worth less, just because it is cheaper.

Most people have the same opinion of Oklahoma as posted earlier, and that's a big part of the reason land is cheaper there.

But to each his own....

I used to agree, but after seeing property values triple in some central Texas counties over the last 15 yrs, my attitude changed drastically.

Comment

Originally posted by Darton View Post
                            I bought in Oklahoma and don't regret it a bit!
                            I moved to Bristow Oklahoma and work in Tulsa. We LOVE it here. I have a solid deer population that is using my 50 acres day in and day out and have even seen an absolute monster on it late this last season.

Comment

Originally posted by nimrodajh View Post
                              I used to agree, but after seeing property values triple in some central Texas counties over the last 15 yrs, my attitude changed drastically.
                              As someone who is in the market with my Brother who lives in the OKC area, I couldn't agree more.

Pretty narrow minded to think you can't find a nice piece of land for a lot less within a 2 1/2 hour drive from the metroplex. We have done some heavy searching in a few areas and the only difference seems to be population/development potential.

Comment

Working...
                              X