Mobile Home advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile Home advice

So, about 2 years ago now the wife and I bought some property and have decided to build on it sometime in the near future (2-3 years).

In the meantime we currently own a home in the city. We have weighed our options and one option is to buy a mobile home and put it on the property to live in temporarily and sell our current home.

I’m wanting some opinions on this from people who have done something similar. Is it worth it? The plan would be to build the house while living in the trailer then move the trailer to a lot somewhere to try our hand at being landlords.

Also, I’ve looked into trailers and it seems that solitaire homes is the bee’s knees when it comes to this type of home. Are there any others to look into? Best places to go?

As always I appreciate your input. Thanks in advance!

I think that if I were in your shoes I'd buy one of those cabin type models and plan to use it as a guest house after the house is built. I once had 12 trailers as rent houses and I can tell you they are real easy for renters to tear up.
    That said, check into lot rents in your area, moving cost in your area and put the numbers to it to see how long it will take to start making money.

Comment

If you can buy the mobile home outright or finance and pay it off quickly then its a good idea. I bought some property in december of 2016 and got a new singlewide put on it and i just made my last payment on the home. now I can focus my resources on a more permanent house without worrying about payments,

Comment

Buy a cheap used one. Mobile home values drop like a rock just like all things on wheels. Not saying I wouldn’t do it, but I’d buy a $10-15K one and not a new one

Comment

Originally posted by tommy1005 View Post
          Buy a cheap used one. Mobile home values drop like a rock just like all things on wheels. Not saying I wouldn’t do it, but I’d buy a $10-15K one and not a new one

This is what we did on our place, will be hard to find a decent one if the 10-15k range though. If you have $30-35k cash in hand you can find a pretty good one that won’t require a ton of work and more importantly it will be clean.

We really like ours, serves the purpose for weekend getaways and I spent some money on improvements around the house, added a front porch and a huge back patio to make it nice for entertaining. We will build a house when we retire there and the trailer will become the second house for our kids and company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Also added some Necessary items near the back porch too. !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Palm Harbor is another good brand.

Comment

Working...
              X