X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes. Last year. Took home some meat.

Comment

Originally posted by Schubert6689 View Post
      Hunting the flats and open areas, Yes. However, a majority of the park is hilltops and canyons. I saw a very nice buck as I was walking down a hill and he was across he canyon on the next hillside. Couldn’t get a shot off standing free handed. I set up my pop up in front of a large cedar bush and only put some cut branches on the roof to break up the outline.
      Thanks for the reply and for the info. I’ll be sure to take a pop-up blind with me.

My buddy backed out on going with me on the trip. So, I’ll be on my own. I purchased my permit today. The deadline was Aug. 25, so I’m committed, and anxious to make the trip.

If anyone else has info to share I’d sure love to hear it.

Andrew

Comment

pm sent

Comment

Originally posted by BAPilot2 View Post
          My buddy and I just got drawn for Archery Deer at Kickapoo Caverns SP, Oct. 8 - Oct. 12. Did any of you guys hunt Kickapoo last year or the year before? We’ve never been there and any info you can provide would be appreciated.

I searched the forum for info and came up with old posts that date back to 2014, and earlier, but I was hoping for something a bit more current.

I look forward to thoughts and comments from anyone who’s been to Kickapoo Caverns SP.

Thanks,
          Andrew
          I was also selected for this hunt. I've never hunted there before, but am familiar with this area. I drive through this general area several time a month. I've seen a few "shooters" several times (that's why I applied).
          I guess we'll figure it out for ourselves, LOL.
          Good Luck and I'll see you there.

Comment

We went on the rifle hunt last year I’m pretty sure we were in compartment 3. We did kill deer and see lots of deer. We were there during the rut and trying to see deer that weren’t chasing was the tough part. If you get drawn for rifle practice your long range shooting. As far as bow hunting I got nothing as far as advice maybe try to find a pinch point between some steep terrain and hope something walks through.

Comment

Moondog... I look forward to catching up with you once we get to Kickapoo for the orientation. Will you be staying in the park or in a motel in town? I plan on staying in the park. Best of luck to you too.

Filletem... thanks for the input. I may end up wishing I had a rifle but for now I’m looking forward to the challenge of using my bow.

Comment

One of the reasons I put my girls in on this hunt is it should have a good amount of exotics. For y’all that have hunted it did you see any exotics and were any taken?

Comment

Originally posted by BAPilot2 View Post
                  Moondog... I look forward to catching up with you once we get to Kickapoo for the orientation. Will you be staying in the park or in a motel in town? I plan on staying in the park. Best of luck to you too.

Filletem... thanks for the input. I may end up wishing I had a rifle but for now I’m looking forward to the challenge of using my bow.
                  I will be camping in the park (tent). We'll catch up then!

Comment

Originally posted by moondog View Post
                    I will be camping in the park (tent). We'll catch up then!
                    I look forward to it. Maybe we can share a campfire, assuming there’s not a burn ban.

Andrew

Comment

I hunted the property just South of the park years ago.
                      I haven't been there in years, but I would definitely take a look at the Western end of the Southern most fence line. There use to be some good bucks in that area.

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
                        I hunted the property just South of the park years ago.
                        I haven't been there in years, but I would definitely take a look at the Western end of the Southern most fence line. There use to be some good bucks in that area.
                        Thanks for the tip. 👍

Comment

FYI. There was a nilgai killed on the buck hunt last year and there were two more in the park roaming around.
                          Don’t know if they’re still hanging around.

Comment

I had a lease several years ago just down the road and we saw all kinds of Exotics. Black Buck, aoudad, axis, unidentified white monstrosity that scared the hell out of me at daylight one morning, Etc

Comment

It all sounds great to me. As I said before, “It would be sweet to have a chance to pull the string on an axis, or nilgai, or just about anything.”
                              I’m not too picky!!!

Although, that giant white Yeti/Chupacabra would look awesome on my wall! LOL
                              Last edited by BAPilot2; 08-30-2018, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Took my 2 boys on the GDE hunt there 3 years ago. First off.... don't even ask the head guy about baiting. He's didn't grow up in TX and definitely doesn't believe in it. He basically told us is blunt language when someone asked

First off, it's a tough hunt for kiddos. The compartment we were drawn for didn't have an access road or even hiking trails through it. We accessed it (hiking) off a road which ran through the edge of another compartment. Basically a stalk hunt or sit and glass type hunt. As mentioned previously, best to find a ridge with open areas below and glass. Tough for kids because some of the shots may be long. Also tough because of the short time frame.

We didn't see any exotics but one kid shot a real nice Black Hawaiian. Basically just kicked it up walking around and shot it. Also some axis were seen but not shot. Sounds like they have a pretty decent sheep population on the ridge tops. There is definitely alot of deer sign and they are there if you aren't picky. Beautiful piece of property and best of luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X