Whats the best shop fan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats the best shop fan?

I need some shop fans for the shop for my crew. I want the basic round shop fan you see in most shops.I do not want anything that is hard mounted as we will be moving to a new location soon. I have looked some that are made in USA, 48" with 1hp electric motor @ 22,000cfm cost 840.00
    I looked at import, 1/2hp motor 2 speed @ 10100/18100 cfm, cost 479.00 each

Having been a shop hand when i was youger, I know the value of a good fan. I am having a hard time spending 800+ for 1 fan but I am leaning towards this. I also do not want to buy the cheap fans, most I have seen sound loud and does move much air. Does anyone have experience with a good shop fan?

I bought a 48in beltdrive, 2 speed for $340 . . Ace hdwe. . So far so good . .

Comment

Following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Whats the best shop fan?

Don’t overlook the squirrel cage fans. They move a lot of air, use less power, and way less expensive.

Comment

If you can find a blower fan off of an old AC unit, they definitely move some air. Might even find one for free somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
            I need some shop fans for the shop for my crew. I want the basic round shop fan you see in most shops.I do not want anything that is hard mounted as we will be moving to a new location soon. I have looked some that are made in USA, 48" with 1hp electric motor @ 22,000cfm cost 840.00

Having been a shop hand when i was youger, I know the value of a good fan. I am having a hard time spending 800+ for 1 fan but I am leaning towards this. I also do not want to buy the cheap fans, most I have seen sound loud and does move much air. Does anyone have experience with a good shop fan?
            Man, where did you find a fan that would move 22,000 CFM? That would be a lot of air, that would be nice, but might have to bolt everything to the floor. I have one from either Northern Tools or Harbor Freight, really want to say, I got it from Northern Tools. Not sure, but pretty sure, it was made in China, the belt is cheap, slipped a lot, finally too one guard off and tightened the belt, that helped a lot. Very quickly both tires rotted, then the wheels are a split rim design, the bolts came out of the wheels, so they came apart. Did not matter much the cheap rubber had long been rotted. I need to replace the wheels and tires on it. The fan does ok. I think I only paid $350 ish for it 12 years ago. It's at least a 48". When I got it and for a couple years afterwards, it did not move a lot of air. But after getting tired of the squeaking belt, I tightened it and that made quite a bit of difference in the air flow.

One day I want to get one of those huge aluminum bladed shop ceiling fans. There is a welding supply place that bought one, I got to admit it's nice. What I don't like about my shop fan, is it's only moving air in one place, I move around constantly. So there is only one spot in the shop that there is any air movement. I could either buy three or four more of those shop fans and have them in the way all over the place or just buy one of those huge ceiling fans.

Then there area also the swamp coolers, those work very well, but again, they are only cooling and moving air in a small area. I think they do a better job of cooling the air over a larger area, but I know the air flow is not very strong, not as strong as my shop fan.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
              Man, where did you find a fan that would move 22,000 CFM? That would be a lot of air, that would be nice, but might have to bolt everything to the floor. I have one from either Northern Tools or Harbor Freight, really want to say, I got it from Northern Tools. Not sure, but pretty sure, it was made in China, the belt is cheap, slipped a lot, finally too one guard off and tightened the belt, that helped a lot. Very quickly both tires rotted, then the wheels are a split rim design, the bolts came out of the wheels, so they came apart. Did not matter much the cheap rubber had long been rotted. I need to replace the wheels and tires on it. The fan does ok. I think I only paid $350 ish for it 12 years ago. It's at least a 48". When I got it and for a couple years afterwards, it did not move a lot of air. But after getting tired of the squeaking belt, I tightened it and that made quite a bit of difference in the air flow.

One day I want to get one of those huge aluminum bladed shop ceiling fans. There is a welding supply place that bought one, I got to admit it's nice. What I don't like about my shop fan, is it's only moving air in one place, I move around constantly. So there is only one spot in the shop that there is any air movement. I could either buy three or four more of those shop fans and have them in the way all over the place or just buy one of those huge ceiling fans.

Then there area also the swamp coolers, those work very well, but again, they are only cooling and moving air in a small area. I think they do a better job of cooling the air over a larger area, but I know the air flow is not very strong, not as strong as my shop fan.
              Here is a link to the 22,700 CFM fan

We installed the BigA-- fans in the shop I used work out, and they work extremely will.I think they were like 15' per blade or close to that

Comment

Big “Alpha Sierra Sierra” fans work well. It really is their name if you know what I mean
                Last edited by falmike; 06-05-2020, 02:55 AM.

Comment

Bigassfans.com

Comment

I have a 36 or 38" from HF that's easily 10 years old. Two speed direct drive. I don't know how much I paid for it but it couldn't have been much. It is noisy and hard to tell which is better low or high but it works

I'll be in the market for something soon to use at another property. Ive looked very hard at the Big A** fans. There are a couple that can be had for not much more than that 22k cfm model.

Comment

Depending on the shop a swamp cooler on some castors is nice

Comment

Global Industrial has some nice shop fans.

Comment

Fans

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post

County Line Tractor Supply. Reasonable price also.

Comment

Chicken house fan. It will blow a wall of wind.

Comment

You guys with the big *** fans what kind of pricing did you get?

I want to say the 14ft over head fans i had quoted where around 9K....

There has to be a better option for the money.... I just cant justify 9K not to mention i need about 2 or 3 14-16ft fans.

Comment

Working...
                              X