Dog Killing Neighbors Chickens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dog Killing Neighbors Chickens

My dog is killing my neighbor’s chickens. I’ve tried a few things already and really trying to break him of killing these things but nothing is working.

So far I have whooped with the dead chicken and currently trying the old trick of tying the dead chicken to his neck until he can’t take it anymore.

Do y’all have any other thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep him on your property.

Comment

Fence or e-fence?

Comment

My question should have been...what can I do to break him of that habit?

Comment

Whose property is this occurring on? Seems to be an important detail.

Comment

Get rid of him

Comment

A fence to keep him on your property is the common sense most effective way.

Comment

If I was your neighbor and you couldn’t keep your dog on your own property I’d break him of the habit for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Geraldg6 View Post
                  My question should have been...what can I do to break him of that habit?

Well establishing a barrier that prevents him from leaving your property would break him if the habit. Assuming that the chickens aren’t coming over to your house, in which case I’d say enjoy the fried chicken

Comment

It is happening on their property and yes there is a fence already.

Comment

My Jack Russel killed my Wife’ favorite chicken. In the process he tried to bite me twice. Just doing what he does and I latched on to him. I reprimanded him to the point that he never did it again. After that he was friends with the rest of the chickens for years until he passed. Before you beat the dog good I would keep him in your own yard. I would imagine that the chicken owner “may” have the right to dispatch your dog. I like dogs and would hate to hear that this happened. Also, buy your neighbors more chickens. That would be the neighborly thing to do. Hope it all works out for the best for you and your dog.

Comment

The only way I would guess is to catch him in the act while he's wearing an E collar and make him ride the lighting and I don't know if that would work.

Comment

I think what you are asking is, how do I let my dog roam free and not kill my neighbors chickens. This may not be possible and you may need to look at getting a better fence. You may want to see if the neighbor will let you take the dogs to the chickens on a leash with a shock collar. As soon as the dogs get near the chickens light the dog up. Do this for a week or two until the dog runs from chickens.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                            If I was your neighbor and you couldn’t keep your dog on your own property I’d break him of the habit for you.
                            I think we all understand but, Really was that necessary?

Comment

Get a fence that works.

Also, buying your neighbor a replacement chicken might sound like a good idea, but it can mess up the pecking order of the remaining chickens; resulting in more dead chickens. It is a great gesture though.

Comment

Working...
                              X