Protein Feed Consumption Hill Country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm getting on a new lease this year in the Hill Country and wanted to know how often I would have to refill on average the following free choice feeders. I know natural browse and rainfall would probably directly effect this but just trying to get a ballpark number since I have no experience feeding protein out there. We will be feeding February thru September.

1-1250lb
    2-2000lb
    2-350lb

I don’t have a lease out there but I hunted out there for a week this past season, there are tons of Deer. The guy who took me has a corn and protein feeder at each of his setups, each one goes off Twice in the morning and twice in the evening. He says he fills feeders about every two-three weeks. He also throws cotton seed and at one spot alone the deer will eat 1000 pounds in a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Other factors need to be consider as well, such as deer density and how often do you plan to or able to go to the lease to refill the feeders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Deer density? Acreage? Lots to consider before you can get an idea.

Comment

IMO you should just plan on someone filling those once a month or more, plus someone should check for clogs after every weather event

The deer are slamming our cotton seed and protein so hard trying to put weight on for fawning and post rut , some times 50 lbs of CS a day
          Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 02-20-2018, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys keep them coming.

Comment

On a place I hunt in Waring we go through approx 3 tons a month in the dead of summer and post rut w/ it slowing down to about 2 tons the rest of the year. The amount of natural forage plays a big part as well as any livestock, exotics, deer density, etc.

Comment

We had a 500lb feeder emptied in less than two weeks in menard. Putting out a 1k in a couple weeks to go with the 500lb

Comment

I was running a 2k lb feeder and it would be empty in about 3 weeks or so it gets expensive. I've put 1000 pounds in there at times trying to save money and during the summer I've had deer go through 1000lb in a week
                  Last edited by slicktree; 02-20-2018, 06:56 PM.

Comment

We are on 3,200 acres southeast of San Angelo. I would say we are close to 1 deer per 20 acres. We free choice about 18 tons of protein between February and late August. During that time span, we will put out close to 12 tons of cottonseed. September to End of January, we will feed somewhere around 4-5 tons of protein in timed feeders. As far as corn, I really don’t know to be honest. There’s 10 of us that feed really hard during season and most of us have converted to feeding corn Year around.

Comment

Also would like to add consumption will be up if you have exotics. The axis will blow through it, as well as aoudad I had a 350 lb feeder and when a herd of aoudad found it it would be gone in a day.

Comment

Make sure to check out The Hammer and you can feed during daylight hours only if you'd like to go that route.

Comment

750 lbs in 2 1/2 weeks last fill.

Comment

Working...
                          X