Broadhead Tuning Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am curious what I should do here. My two blade solid broadheads hit within 3" of my fp out to 60 yards, but my 4 blade slick trick standards shoot about 12" low at 60 yards (all broadheads and fp's are 100gr). Should I adjust my knocking point to bring up the slick trick to meet the solid broadheads and fp's? Will this make my bow better tuned? I paper tuned before shooting anything and then my solid's shot perfect for the last hunt I was going on so I didn't change anything, but now I notice this and I want slick tricks in my quiver this season as usual and i'm not sure if adjusting my knocking point will help or hurt my setup. I guess i'm concerned that it might start throwing my solid broadheads off, as i've never had the slick tricks not shoot with my fp's so i'm worried that if I make adjustments to get them to, that then my solids will fly high or low or something.

Any input appreciated.

What bow are u shooting ? The solids are very forgiving. And what slick tricks are u shooting? If your arrow if perfectly level. It might be a timing issue. If shoot them at 20 and see what the tricks do in order to make adjustments to the bow etc...

Comment

I wouldn't adjust the knocking point unless it is not level. There has to be something else happening. I have always had good luck with slick trick's shooting just as straight as my target points. Try paper tuning it with the Slick Tricks an see what it says about how your arrows are shooting and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
        What bow are u shooting ? The solids are very forgiving. And what slick tricks are u shooting? If your arrow if perfectly level. It might be a timing issue. If shoot them at 20 and see what the tricks do in order to make adjustments to the bow etc...
        Mathews Heli-m. My timing looks to be pretty good, I always look at that to make sure nothing has changed.

Slick trick mags 100gr. They fly low at 20 also.

Originally posted by natesimpson74 View Post
        I wouldn't adjust the knocking point unless it is not level. There has to be something else happening. I have always had good luck with slick trick's shooting just as straight as my target points. Try paper tuning it with the Slick Tricks an see what it says about how your arrows are shooting and go from there.
        I would have to check to see if my knocking point is level or not. But what would that matter? Isn't adjusting the knocking point how you dial in your broadheads when they fly off vertically compared to fp's?

Not real sure how you would paper tune with a broadhead either as I would think any abnormal tear, unless really bad, would be hard to tell?

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
          Mathews Heli-m. My timing looks to be pretty good, I always look at that to make sure nothing has changed.

Slick trick mags 100gr. They fly low at 20 also.

I would have to check to see if my knocking point is level or not. But what would that matter? Isn't adjusting the knocking point how you dial in your broadheads when they fly off vertically compared to fp's?

Not real sure how you would paper tune with a broadhead either as I would think any abnormal tear, unless really bad, would be hard to tell?

I'm betting you are not level. Tune too the slick tricks and the solids will be right there with them when u shoot them

Comment

Your Solids did a number on that Axis you shot at the Baker 3. Why change now?

Comment

I'm betting you are not level. Tune too the slick tricks and the solids will be right there with them when u shoot them
              I believe I was a little bit knock high when paper tuning and that would make sense. I'll start with moving that down a little.

Comment

Originally posted by rattler7696 View Post
                Your Solids did a number on that Axis you shot at the Baker 3. Why change now?
                Yes it did! I just want to make sure I can shoot Slick Tricks also in case I need to. Solids are going to be my go to broadhead this season though. I really like them quite a bit.

Comment

Just set nock level and you should be good don't pay attention to the paper let the Broadheads tell you the story

Comment

The HeliM likes to run low in the timing window, set-up like this will put the ATA about 1/16" short.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
                      The HeliM likes to run low in the timing window, set-up like this will put the ATA about 1/16" short.
                      Not exactly sure what you mean by "likes to run low in the timing"? As of right now it's about as center in the window as it could be.

It's always shot great with the timing in the center. Not real sure it's a timing issue. Think it's just a knock height issue really.

Comment

Improper cam starting rotation can lead to vertical shot stringing, just something to think about. If you are in the center if the window that's in the ball park but finding the. The perfect starting rotation takes a little work but the bow will shoot lights out. Try adding a few twists in the cable and see what happens.

Comment

Improper cam starting rotation can lead to vertical shot stringing, just something to think about. If you are in the center if the window that's in the ball park but finding the. The perfect starting rotation takes a little work but the bow will shoot lights out. Try adding a few twists in the cable and see what happens.

I'd say this if your arrow is level. And is the tricks are still off

Comment

Gotcha. Never thought of it that way. Thanks for the information.

Comment

I'd say this if your arrow is level. And is the tricks are still off
                              I am going to see what I can figure out about my setup sometime this week and I will go from there.

Not exactly sure how to even check if my timing is perfect, or how to get it perfect, but I will look into it this weekend probably. Maybe that shot in Bryan, Tx can help me.

Comment

Working...
                              X