• Show
Clear All

What spine?

What spines arrow shoud I be shooting?
    I have no clue how all that works...

Shooting a 12' Hoyt Vector RKT
    29" DL
    70# DW

I'm not sure if you need any more... If so, let me know.
    Thanks

340 spine .

Comment

Originally posted by Shark Attack View Post
      340 spine .
      Do you mind elaborating a little?
      How do you figure it out?
      Thanks

Comment

try this

Comment

From what Ive learned, it all has to do with your bows poundage. The lower the number, the stiffer the spine. A fast shooting bow is going to need a stiff arrow so that all the bows energy doesnt get lost in arrow flex...

Comment

So if I bought so 300 spines FMJs I'd be wrong?

Comment

A lot more goes into picking a spine that just the bows draw weight. Arrow length, weight of point, draw length to a certain degree, type of cams and others. BEst is to taek it to a pro shop or you can get onto an arrow sight and they will have steps you can go thru to see what spine you should choose. make sure that if you are on the line between one spine and another that you go with the stiffer.

Comment

Thanks!
                100gr tip if that helps...

But I'll check in with my shop on Thursday.

Thanks again!

Comment

If you buy a 300 spine arrow, you could leave it a little long, and it will spine out like a 340 cut to the proper length. Also, you could buy a 400 spine and cut it shorter to stiffen it up and get the same results. All with shooting the same weight tip.

It is all about the length. Arrow length primarily and not draw length.

Comment

Originally posted by AddisonOil View Post
                    From what Ive learned, it all has to do with your bows poundage. The lower the number, the stiffer the spine. A fast shooting bow is going to need a stiff arrow so that all the bows energy doesnt get lost in arrow flex...
                    you can have a fast bow at low lbs with a non as stiff arrow as a slow shooting bow at the same lbs. 50lbs is 50lbs. correct?

Comment

Arrows I'm looking at are FMJ's 29" from insert to valley.

Comment

Originally posted by Skullworks52 View Post
                        you can have a fast bow at low lbs with a non as stiff arrow as a slow shooting bow at the same lbs. 50lbs is 50lbs. correct?
                        No. 50 pounds with a round wheeled cam system, or single cam is not at all like 50 pounds on a dual cam or speed cam system. The concentrics(cams) can greatly affect how the dynamic spine(flex of the arrow) reacts.

The overall length of the shaft, wall thickness, and total distribution of the weight on both the front and back of the arrow will determine the static spine. How the shaft is launched, and how fast it goes from zero to max speed will determine the dynamic spine.

Any shaft and be cut to create any spine configuration with enough experimentation. But generally speaking arrows are lumped in groups. Meaning if you shoot a certain draw length, draw weight and tip weight, then an arrow with a spine of X will be best. If you shoot a different draw length, weight and tip weight, then spine Y will be better. It works well on a high volume system, so that is why it is used.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                            No. 50 pounds with a round wheeled cam system, or single cam is not at all like 50 pounds on a dual cam or speed cam system. The concentrics(cams) can greatly affect how the dynamic spine(flex of the arrow) reacts.

The overall length of the shaft, wall thickness, and total distribution of the weight on both the front and back of the arrow will determine the static spine. How the shaft is launched, and how fast it goes from zero to max speed will determine the dynamic spine.

Any shaft and be cut to create any spine configuration with enough experimentation. But generally speaking arrows are lumped in groups. Meaning if you shoot a certain draw length, draw weight and tip weight, then an arrow with a spine of X will be best. If you shoot a different draw length, weight and tip weight, then spine Y will be better. It works well on a high volume system, so that is why it is used.

Makes sence thanks for the good info.

Comment

BHT, great explantion.

Comment

Working...
                              X