creative blind materials?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I'm doing a box blind for bow and rifle. Initially I was contemplating doing something exotic for the purpose of making the blind in a modular format, easy for one man to set up and tear down. I had thought about skinning the frame with pink builder foam and then doing fiberglass cloth on the outside of the panes since I have experience with that from building boats. However, the costs are more than I want to put into something that might just get blown off in a good storm.

So now I'm just looking a luan or 1/4" plywood to skin the panel frames which will be done in 2x2" lumber. Already ordered my deerview windows. Wondering if anybody has done a blind from other materials like maybe coroplast? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Coroplast...896S/205351385

This blind will be 5x5 sitting on a 3' high platform btw.

If you think down fiberglass epoxy with acetone you can paint it on your wood panels and they will last for many years.

Comment

I built a wood framed blind and skinned it with cororoplast. It lasted about six years.

Comment

I started building frames tonight and realized I have a good free siding source. Me and the neighbor still have 9 sections of our shared cedar fence to replace. I looked at the pickets and think there will be enough salvage to cover my blind. I'm going to wrap the frames with roofing paper first. That way I get some water protection and don't have to mess with painting the inside black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am going to build a round blind out of the pink foam board and epoxy fiberglass. I think it will be really strong and light weight. I did a 2' x 6" test piece with 6oz cloth on both sides, put a 4"x4" block on both sides and I stood on it without breaking. It took me jumping on it to break, the cloth strand broke before tearing away from the foam. I will post mine on here when I get started.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech32 View Post
            I am going to build a round blind out of the pink foam board and epoxy fiberglass. I think it will be really strong and light weight. I did a 2' x 6" test piece with 6oz cloth on both sides, put a 4"x4" block on both sides and I stood on it without breaking. It took me jumping on it to break, the cloth strand broke before tearing away from the foam. I will post mine on here when I get started.
            You won't even need to glass both sides. I have built multiple kayaks with both the pink and blue foam. (pink is easier to cut and shape) That stuff is super strong even with 4oz cloth.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
              You won't even need to glass both sides. I have built multiple kayaks with both the pink and blue foam. (pink is easier to cut and shape) That stuff is super strong even with 4oz cloth.
              Thanks, never thought about not glassing the inside. I was shocked how strong a piece of foam gets with fiberglass on it, and just a thin layer. I thought about putting canvas with glue/paint, got that idea off the teardrop forum. But I was not happy with my test pieces. I bet I could just paint the inside and be good.
              Last edited by Bowtech32; 06-08-2017, 08:26 PM.

Comment

If you wanted to build one from just foam, it could be done skin on frame and just glass the one side or no frame at all and glass both sides or use heavier cloth on the outside. Internal seams get taped just like a stitch and glue boat. That thing will last years.

Here is one of my boat builds. I didn't do any build alongs on TBH unfortunately. Some are on TKF.

Last edited by TexaRican; 06-08-2017, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                  If you wanted to build one from just foam, it could be done skin on frame and just glass the one side or no frame at all and glass both sides or use heavier cloth on the outside. Internal seams get taped just like a stitch and glue boat. That thing will last years.

Here is one of my boat builds. I didn't do any build alongs on TBH unfortunately. Some are on TKF.

Those are awsume!!! i did a test with routing tounge old grove ends, glued together with gorilla glue. That held real well, I need it to hold since I am bending it into a circle for a round blind. Being round and glassing it it should be super strong and light weight.

Comment

Working...
                  X