No announcement yet.

Who gave up their truck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never give up my pickup. Cars are worthless to me.

Comment

I got rid of my truck and bought a 2 year old Subaru Forester. I have no vehicle payment and my mpg almost doubled. I don’t have an ego issue so I don’t need a brand new 250 that costs half my mortgage a month. I have no issues at the lease or anywhere I take it to hunt or fish. Sometimes I miss my truck but most of the time I’m glad I’m getting 26mpg around the city

Comment

Sad to see grown men admitting they don't need a truck.

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
          I don’t have an ego issue so I don’t need a brand new 250

Hahahhaha.....nice blanket reverse justification..

Comment

I was in a similar situation four years ago. My truck (Chevy heavy half 6.0 gas) was 12 years old and had 200k miles. I had moved out of town a ways and commuting 80-90 miles a day. I knew at that rate I would run it to the ground 15 mpg at a time. My solution - bought a used Toyota Corolla and parked my truck. I now drive a crappy car 80% of the time. It definitely took some getting used to. Mainly self realization that what you drive doesn't mean didly. My truck is now 16 years old and has 285,000 miles. Still drives like a dream. Use it to go to the deer lease, haul feed, haul steers to shows, etc. At this rate it may very well. Last another 10 years. Not uncommon to see 400k miles on that model.

It is somehow satisfying to be in my car next to a jacked up F250 with black mags knowing the little man driving may put two bags of mulch in it over the summer. He'd look down and me and laugh at the city boy in the rice burner.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              Hahahhaha.....nice blanket reverse justification..
              That’s for a couple of my buddies that upgrade every couple years and don’t ever actually take it off 35. I’m sure it doesn’t apply to anyone on TBH.

Comment

I do want to add we have a Saab with a turbo and it is what I drive when I have to but the speedo goes to 140 so it's not so bad! 28 mpg and 4 computers!!! I've changed 2 of em and I'm the mechanic so my results may not equal yours on the truck OR the car. I do take em both in for the major repairs but not the little things so if your not doing repairs that does change everything

If you go with a car I would highly recommend a turbo!

Comment

I hunted and fished for 4 years in high school out of a hatch back Mazda RX-7, all the time. I could fit camping gear in the front passenger seat and a buck in the back. That thing went places I never could have imagined. I sometimes think I could get rid of my truck and drive a mid-size SUV or something. An SUV would hold 3 times the junk that the RX7 would hold.

But... I just can't do it. The first time I needed a truck and didn't have it I would regret my decision.

Comment

Originally posted by riverbowman View Post
                    The first time I needed a truck and didn't have it I would regret my decision.
                    That is why I never made it long without one.

Comment

Can’t give up my truck as I need it for work. Technically, I could haul my 4 Wheeler on a trailer behind a SUV, but that would suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm definitely not surprised at the responses on here, but looks like I got the answer I thought I would get.

Little more back story to help me justify this repair, I drive a 04 crew cab z71 silverado, my dad was the original owner and I bought it from him. Completely stock from factory and in all 14 years we've had it, I've only had to replace the alternator, front hub assembly's and now the transfercase outside of routine maintenance. I feel like I have gotten my money's worth out of the truck but would really love to push it to 300k. I'll be getting it repaired and will still shop around for a commuter car.

Ultimately, I'll get a good MPG commuter and park my truck for when I need it.

Comment

Originally posted by ultralite09 View Post
                          I'm definitely not surprised at the responses on here, but looks like I got the answer I thought I would get.

Little more back story to help me justify this repair, I drive a 04 crew cab z71 silverado, my dad was the original owner and I bought it from him. Completely stock from factory and in all 14 years we've had it, I've only had to replace the alternator, front hub assembly's and now the transfercase outside of routine maintenance. I feel like I have gotten my money's worth out of the truck but would really love to push it to 300k. I'll be getting it repaired and will still shop around for a commuter car.

That’s a pretty common truck. If you’re mechanically inclined, you should be able to pick up a transfercase from a salvage yard for a reasonable price and swap it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ultralite09 View Post

Good deal....dead ducks on the back of a Prius just isn't the same.....well unless they are spoonies..

Comment

I am 62 and have never owned a car. Closest to a car was a 73 El Camino. Never got a suv, keep thinking I would need to haul something I wouldn't want in the cab. always drove company vans for work, so my trucks lasted a long time. If I made a lot of miles daily I would have no issues saving my truck and driving a high mpg car, especially with the prices of trucks nowadays.

My truck is 10 years old with 175K on it. With my health, don't want a truck payment.

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                                I got rid of my truck and bought a 2 year old Subaru Forester. I have no vehicle payment and my mpg almost doubled. I don’t have an ego issue so I don’t need a brand new 250 that costs half my mortgage a month. I have no issues at the lease or anywhere I take it to hunt or fish. Sometimes I miss my truck but most of the time I’m glad I’m getting 26mpg around the city
                                You also don’t get laid

Comment

Working...
                                X