Cleaning Rust on Rifle Barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning Rust on Rifle Barrel

Hey! I have a Savage Mark II 22 rifle and it got left in a soft case in the back of the Polaris and now has some surface rust and very light pitting on the exterior of the rifle. I used some 0000 steel wool to remove the rust but it still seems like there is a little corrosion (no red rust) no matter how hard I rub. Is there anything you guys would recommend on how to make the barrel look brand new?

Here's a picture of the barrel:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3861 (Large).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	25208438

I use transmission fluid and 000 steel wool with very light pressure

Comment

Tagged for the advice also.

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
      I use transmission fluid and 000 steel wool with very light pressure
      What is the advantage of transmission fluid vs motor oil or machine oil?

Comment

I believe I did a DIY in one of the "ugly gun" threads a few years ago that may held you out?

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
          Tagged for the advice also.

What is the advantage of transmission fluid vs motor oil or machine oil?
          Transmission fluid has lots of detergents that promote the cleaning process. It is thin, I like the smell and works well in cleanup process. I have never used this on a gun barrel but do think it would work.

Comment

It's probably the pitting itself...I've never had a problem removing all the crud on lightly rusted guns. Problem is it will sometimes remove the bluing along with it. Once pitted the rust tends to return right away if not treated constantly.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
              Transmission fluid has lots of detergents that promote the cleaning process. It is thin, I like the smell and works well in cleanup process. I have never used this on a gun barrel but do think it would work.
              Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                Thanks!
                If you have an old ratchet, adjustable wrench, air tool etc that is rusted or froze up. Leave them soaking overnight in transmission fluid and they will free up typically. Old pocket knives. Many uses.

Comment

I just use 0000 steel wool. I read somewhere that lubricants can hold the removed rust in suspension and cause scratching. Have no experience with that happening, but I have had good luck without any lubricants, so I have never used them.

Comment

So after I remove the rust do should I just keep it oiled? I’m sure I’ve removed some of the bluing so I guess I just need to keep it oiled.

Comment

I'm glad you ask this question because I just pulled out my daughters 20 gauge shot gun out of a soft case in my closet to see it was covered with rust.

Comment

The restoration guys like to use a Frontier Big 45 pad.

Comment

0000 steel wool and any oil or a bronze brush and oil are best options that won’t harm the bluing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                            So after I remove the rust do should I just keep it oiled? I’m sure I’ve removed some of the bluing so I guess I just need to keep it oiled.

Brownells & Midway have some cold blue for touch up...hard to get a perfect match & the area still tends to be prone to rust vs the areas unaffected. I think the pitting simply attracts moisture better & all you can do is be vigilant with your favorite gun oil??

Be sure to degrease the area well before applying any cold blue.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                              I would use some cold bluing and then oil.

Comment

Working...
                              X