Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 11-03-2018, 08:51 AM   #1
Hockley
Eight Point

Default AR Guys - 6.5 Creedmore

What would be my best option for a AR in 6.5 Creedmore? I already have an Armalite AR10 in .308, but I despise how heavy it is. Would this lower be something I could use and find someone to build an upper?
Hockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2018, 09:06 AM   #2
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!

It's not gonna be any lighter than the .308

If it's too heavy, go with a bolt.
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2018, 09:10 AM   #3
Hockley
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post

If it's too heavy, go with a bolt.
My .308 is a 24” bull barrel, huge mistake on my part, so the 6.5 CM will be much lighter! Thinking either 18” or 20” max with a standard barrel.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:26 AM   #4
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockley View Post
My .308 is a 24” bull barrel, huge mistake on my part, so the 6.5 CM will be much lighter! Thinking either 18” or 20” max with a standard barrel.
Ahh...yes. Imma 308 fan, so I prolly keep the caliber and go with a standard barrel. Good luck in your search
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2018, 09:34 AM   #5
DesertDug
Ten Point

Hunt In: far out west texas & SHNF & Lovelady

Do both, swap uppers and bolt carriers. Upper builds are not hard diy.
DesertDug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2018, 09:54 AM   #6
Bruiser
Ten Point

grendel
Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2018, 10:03 AM   #7
Reddock18
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
grendel

I love mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reddock18 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2018, 10:03 AM   #8
timoub007
Six Point

I did similar in the last year and it was not what I planned.

A while back, and still occasionally, Palmetto State Armory runs a deal on their complete 6.5 CM uppers for about $400. I bought one thinking that it would pin up to my DPMS LAR-10 lower...WRONG. It was close but different. I talked to a local gunsmith and searched the web to find that large platform AR weapons are not built off the same military specs from one manufacturer to another like the AR-15 systems are. I wound up having to buy a complete lower from PSA (I did not want to build out one from stripped).

Fast forward to whenever I started breaking it in. I cleaned and lubricated the gun but had issues. The third round fired but would not eject from the chamber. HD to have a gunsmith remove the case and it was bent and scarred. He looked at the first two brass and could tell that the chamber needed a good bit of polishing but said I could continue breaking in the barrel if the cases would eject. Reluctantly I fired another round and it did not blow up in my face and the case ejected. The. It started to stove pipe rounds from the magazine. I think that the rough chamber was not releasing the spent case quickly enough so that when the bolt picked up the fresh round from the magazine they were both still inside the weapon.

I took it in to the gunsmith and he still has it. If he gets it cycling well then I guess I will put a drop in trigger in it since the stock one is quite stiff.

If I had to do it again I would either build an upper for my DPMS or grab one of the new Savage Hunter models that just came out. These are supposed to be about 8 pounds in the 6.5 CM AR.

Good luck,
Tim

Added:
Was hoping to be hunting with it this morning but used the trusty old Ruger 77 that's actually older than me. Got it done before 8 too.

Last edited by timoub007; 11-03-2018 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Added below name
timoub007 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2018, 10:16 AM   #9
Hockley
Eight Point

That story is exactly what i was afraid of. I should probably sell my Armalite and start from scratch.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:33 AM   #10
aac_shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb county

Get a Seekins SP10 in 6.5 Creedmoor. It isn’t that heavy and will shoot well. Buy once Cry once. Or go all out. GAP 10 in 6.5 Creedmoor. It shoots!
aac_shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2018, 10:53 AM   #11
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockley View Post
What would be my best option for a AR in 6.5 Creedmore? I already have an Armalite AR10 in .308, but I despise how heavy it is. Would this lower be something I could use and find someone to build an upper?
OP as some people have eluded to here there is no interchangeability in the "big AR platform" rifles because there is no blueprint that everyone copies like the 223 AR platform.

You would be better off buying a whole rifle from one manufacturer than parting one together. If you don't like the Armalite, sell it and put that towards a LaRue or any other company you fancy.

I have experience with both LaRue and GA precision big AR platforms. The LaRue is a tad bit more accurate but both shoot sub MOA depending on the shooter. Hope this helps in your decision but........

A mountain type bolt gun in 65CM with a 18inch barrel would be pretty sexy if I do say so myself and you would be able to get all the specs you want (light, short, etc) and only lose semi auto rate of fire.
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2018, 11:25 AM   #12
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by aac_shooter View Post
Get a Seekins SP10 in 6.5 Creedmoor. It isn’t that heavy and will shoot well. Buy once Cry once. Or go all out. GAP 10 in 6.5 Creedmoor. It shoots!
How much would these set you back?
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2018, 11:34 AM   #13
Zen Archery
Ten Point

Hunt In: G-ds blessed earth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post

unless you go with a carbon fiber build like Christensen Arms.
Zen Archery is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2018, 12:33 PM   #14
DaveC
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Menard & Montgomery County

That savage mentioned earlier sounds interesting.

I’ve got my Armalite 10 at 9.7# including scope and mount. That’s with a 16” barrel and 15” free float hand guard though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-04-2018, 06:23 PM   #15
hwy84
Eight Point

Just buy you another upper... Just make sure it's an Armalite upper and not Dpms style and youll be good.
hwy84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-04-2018, 08:22 PM   #16
Trevor73402
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by timoub007 View Post
It started to stove pipe rounds from the magazine. I think that the rough chamber was not releasing the spent case quickly enough so that when the bolt picked up the fresh round from the magazine they were both still inside the weapon.

Not sure what your particular issue is on this rifle, but I feel confident that it is not as described above. The case is hooked to the bolt thru the extraction cycle until it reaches the point the ejector kicks it off. If the bolt is moving backwards, the case is coming with it at the same speed, unless its failing to grip the rim of the case and leaving it totally in the chamber.

Does this rifle have an adjustable gas block on it? If so, have you adjusted it for more or less gas? In this situation Id say more.

To save yourself some expense, keep the setup you have and buy a quality barrel that is already chambered. If it were me, Id get an White Oak Armament barrel that was 20" in the profile of your liking. Also invest in a quality adjustable gas block if you don't have one. Syrac is a good one to look at.

Last edited by Trevor73402; 11-04-2018 at 08:28 PM.
Trevor73402 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top