Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 01-08-2018, 06:51 PM   #1
JimmyB
Four Point

Hunt In: Kimble County
Default Leupold VX5 or VX3i

Recently purchased a Tikka T3 in 7mm and now picking out optics. I have narrowed it down to either the Leupold VX5 or VX3i.

Most of my hunting will be done in Texas on deer, hogs and exotics but will also take it on Mule Deer and possibly Elk.

Right now I am debating between
VX-5HD 3-15x44mm
VX-5HD 2-10x42mm
VX-3i 8.5-25x50mm
VX-3i 2.5-8x36mm

I am leaning towards the VX5 because I like the magnification and objective size combinations. Not sure if I need the 3-15x or if 2-10x would be sufficient for the hunting I will be doing. No shots over 400yds realistically.

Give me your thoughts...
JimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 07:00 PM   #2
TxAg
Pope & Young

I just put the 2.5-8x36 on a T3x in 308. (Also gona chop the barrel)

If you are going out west, go lightweight

These guns get top heavy with a big scope
TxAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 07:03 PM   #3
kc5rkg
Six Point

Hunt In: South TX

I own two of the VX3 (without the illuminated reticle) 4.5-14x40mm and really like them. Good clarity and performed well in low light situations. I have one on a 270wsm and the other on my 22-250. I've taken deer and hogs out to 225 yards with them with no problems.

That being said, I have not looked through or used a VX5. I'd like to hear what others say on how the HD lenses on the VX5 compare.
kc5rkg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 07:10 PM   #4
Texasbeanie
Six Point

Hunt In: Anywhere it's free

I just got the vx3i in 3.5x10 x40 for the same hunting scenario. I made this decision after talking with leupold. The vx3i should bring on more light then the vx5 because the light has to pass through less Lenses.
Texasbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 07:15 PM   #5
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas

I have one of each on two of my Tikkas and I love them both. While the VX-3i 4.5-14 is awesome, I’d probably go VX5 if I did it all over again. For no other reason than the VX5 having a bottom end magnification of 3x. With 3-15x, you can hunt in the sticks or the open Prairie. And the glass is a touch better as well. Can’t go wrong with either though!
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 07:20 PM   #6
scott.str
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stephens county

I have the vx3i 3.5x10 on my gun and love the light weight. 15 power seems a little less useful for basic hunting. Use binos for looking at em first
scott.str is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 07:42 PM   #7
sierracharlie338
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

I have the VX-5 and love it. One of my favorites ever

Sierracharlie out…
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 07:42 PM   #8
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

There will be a noticeable difference in glass between the 2 at low light. Color rendering will be better overall with the 5HD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 08:41 PM   #9
JimmyB
Four Point

So many options... anyone know of a shop around Houston that has a good inventory I can go look at? Or DFW for that matter, I’ll be there next week.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:57 PM   #10
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

3-15 or 4.5-14 will fit your needs great. Write that 8-25 off your list.

I have 4 VX-3i's and I'm perfectly happy with them, if I need better glass I want it in my binoculars or spotter.
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 09:35 PM   #11
gatorgrizz27
Eight Point

Location: Tallahassee FL, fled the Californian invasion of Austin TX

Go handle them in person, I was leaning towards the VX-5 until I got my hands on one. Weighs as much as a brick. I agree that the 8.5-25 is way too much magnification for a hunting rifle.
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 09:38 PM   #12
JimmyB
Four Point

Gatorgrizz - what did you go with?

Now seeing the VX3 is about 7-8oz lighter. Didn’t think about weight...
Old 01-08-2018, 09:42 PM   #13
gatorgrizz27
Eight Point

Location: Tallahassee FL, fled the Californian invasion of Austin TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyB View Post
Gatorgrizz - what did you go with?

Now seeing the VX3 is about 7-8oz lighter. Didn’t think about weight...
Leupold 2-7x33. Lower quality glass but the FOV and magnification range seemed better for my needs than the VX-3i options, and I haven’t been able to tell any difference looking through them.

FWIW, this was on a rifle I was trying to keep lightweight, and I do most of my “looking” with my binoculars.
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 10:58 PM   #14
Texas89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Columbus

Given your choices. Id go vx5 3-15. A little extra magnification is nice a few ounces for better glass would be worth it to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Texas89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 11:03 PM   #15
sierracharlie338
Ten Point

Quote:
So many options... anyone know of a shop around Houston that has a good inventory I can go look at? Or DFW for that matter, I’ll be there next week.
I was at Cabelas in League City (South houston) this past weekend and they had a pretty good selection of Leupolds
Old 01-08-2018, 11:34 PM   #16
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
3-15 or 4.5-14 will fit your needs great. Write that 8-25 off your list.

I have 4 VX-3i's and I'm perfectly happy with them, if I need better glass I want it in my binoculars or spotter.

I agree on the 25X magnification. I have (3) scopes with 24-25X magnification in them:

Leupold VX6 4-24
Zeiss HD5 5-25
Swarovski Z5 5-25

How many times I have actually used them at 25X while hunting?

ZERO

Anything over 60-65° and the mirage is so bad at 25x that it’s useless anyway.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:52 PM   #17
Balcones_Walker
Six Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Anything over about 10x magnification is not important to me, but 50+ objective is. A majority of shots are taken in very low light. I'd look hard at the VX-5HD 3-15x56mm.
Balcones_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 07:18 AM   #18
MitchParker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I get an invite

Quote:
Able's ammo in Huntsville usually always has a great selection.
MitchParker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 07:49 AM   #19
chewy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
Anything over about 10x magnification is not important to me, but 50+ objective is. A majority of shots are taken in very low light. I'd look hard at the VX-5HD 3-15x56mm.
I just ordered VX-5HD 3-15x56mm and should be in any day. from what I researched it should be a awesome scope and will know in a few days.
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 07:50 AM   #20
sierracharlie338
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
I just ordered VX-5HD 3-15x56mm and should be in any day. from what I researched it should be a awesome scope and will know in a few days.

What reticle?

Sierracharlie out…
Old 01-09-2018, 08:03 AM   #21
chewy
Ten Point

fire dot duplex. the scope comes with the custom dial system plus zerolock.
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 07:15 PM   #22
JimmyB
Four Point

Went to the store today and they only had the VX3i in stock so could not compare but I really liked them. I have narrowed it down to two choices:

VX-5HD 3-15x44mm CDS-ZL2
VX3i 3.5-10X50mm CDS

I think I am leaning towards the VX3i for these reasons: I like the 50mm reticle, I think 10X magnification will be fine for my hunting and I like it being a little lighter.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:26 PM   #23
Ryanm
Spike

Hunt In: Nacogdoches, Michigan

I have the VX3i 3.5-10X40mm CDS. Haven't ordered the CDS yet , need to find the "perfect" round first. The scope is awesome, I'm sure the 50mm version is even better. Great low light visibility.
Ryanm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 09:03 PM   #24
RdRdrFan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Went to the store today and they only had the VX3i in stock so could not compare but I really liked them. I have narrowed it down to two choices:

VX-5HD 3-15x44mm CDS-ZL2

VX3i 3.5-10X50mm CDS

I think I am leaning towards the VX3i for these reasons: I like the 50mm reticle, I think 10X magnification will be fine for my hunting and I like it being a little lighter.

Between those two scopes I'd go with the VX5 all day long. MAYBE if you were considering a VX3i 4.5-14x50 with the 30mm tube and side focus there would be some reason to not go with the VX5........MAYBE. But if those are the two options that you are deciding between then there is only one thing that might point to the VX3i and that is the larger objective. And I'd argue that objective size isn't that big of a deal in this situation. VX5 all the way.

For what it is worth I'm a big fan of Leupold scopes. I currently own four VX3i's and three VX6's. All great scopes. Needs vary. My eyes are open for another VX6 (in New or mint condition) or possibly a VX5. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a small caliber in the APR build and need glass.
RdRdrFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 10:23 PM   #25
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

I agree, of those two I'd go with the VX-5. You'll really like the extra magnifaction and can always turn it down.

Here's something many people don't think about....Glass quality trumps objective size. That VX-5 will likely have a sharper image and better low light performance then the 3.

I have a VX6 3-18x44 and it does great at night with minimum light under the feeder as well as dawn and dusk. It's hard to tell the difference between it and my 50mm VX6.

Additionally, you'll really really like the zero stop on the ZL2 model. That would be the difference for me.
Slick8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 10:38 PM   #26
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick8 View Post
I agree, of those two I'd go with the VX-5. You'll really like the extra magnifaction and can always turn it down.

Here's something many people don't think about....Glass quality trumps objective size. That VX-5 will likely have a sharper image and better low light performance then the 3.

I have a VX6 3-18x44 and it does great at night with minimum light under the feeder as well as dawn and dusk. It's hard to tell the difference between it and my 50mm VX6.

Additionally, you'll really really like the zero stop on the ZL2 model. That would be the difference for me.

Yep. All you need is a 4x ratio between max magnification and objective size. Anything beyond that is unnecessary.

Good glass trumps larger objective size every time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-11-2018, 09:35 AM   #27
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

I have both and to me there is absolutely no comparison between the scopes. The 5HD's glass is light years ahead. I also have an original VX6 (not the HD) and I'll rank the 5HD right there with it.

If you look hard online you can find them for around $700.
175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 10:50 AM   #28
Balcones_Walker
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Yep. All you need is a 4x ratio between max magnification and objective size. Anything beyond that is unnecessary.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Unnecessary: you're saying you don't think you see more in lower light with a larger objective beyond 4x magnification / objective ratio?

Or that seeing more in lower light beyond a certain point is unnecessary to you?
Old 01-11-2018, 02:21 PM   #29
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
Unnecessary: you're saying you don't think you see more in lower light with a larger objective beyond 4x magnification / objective ratio?

Or that seeing more in lower light beyond a certain point is unnecessary to you?

A 4mm exit pupil will allow as much light through as your eye pupil will absorb at dusk/dawn. That’s where the 4:1 ratio comes from.

On cheaper glass you *might* see a slight benefit from a larger exit pupil in the scope.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:46 PM   #30
keatonskidmore
Ten Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton County, Texas

Quote:
A 4mm exit pupil will allow as much light through as your eye pupil will absorb at dusk/dawn. That’s where the 4:1 ratio comes from.

On cheaper glass you *might* see a slight benefit from a larger exit pupil in the scope.

Exactly. However...I just found myself in this same debate for a new scope on my night time predator rifle since my vortex just wasn't having good light transmission. Ended up settling on the VX-5HD 3-15x56mm. Only went with the 56mm since I could get it for just $50 more than the 44. And since I'm using it at night and foxes and be a little tough to hit in the head at low magnification, I can achieve 4mm exit pupil at 14x on the 56mm rather than just 11x on the 44mm..yeah thats splitting hairs but it's worth the $50 to me.

Mike, having the Conquest HD5 and the VX-6 how would you compare them at low light or under a red light? The VX-5HD is supposed to be using the same glass as the VX-6 from what I hear. I just wish the conquest HD5 had an illuminated reticle because some of them are marked down crazy low right now.
keatonskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 04:57 PM   #31
Balcones_Walker
Six Point

Quote:

Good reading; 4mm seems common but also perhaps a conservative guideline given how much wider our pupils can dilate.

I'll do some tests - it appears everyone is different.

Getting away with ultra-low rings is also a great benefit of smaller objective scopes.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:54 PM   #32
Tye
Ten Point

Any one used the vx3 LRP? What about the CDS caps....do they work?

Building a 16" AR Creedmoor upper to use in the deer blind. My 22" upper plus a can is like a musket
Tye is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 10:58 PM   #33
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
Good reading; 4mm seems common but also perhaps a conservative guideline given how much wider our pupils can dilate.

I'll do some tests - it appears everyone is different.

Getting away with ultra-low rings is also a great benefit of smaller objective scopes.

The human pupil *on average* dialates to 4mm at low light and up to 7mm in total darkness.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:05 PM   #34
bboswell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tye View Post
Any one used the vx3 LRP? What about the CDS caps....do they work?

Building a 16" AR Creedmoor upper to use in the deer blind. My 22" upper plus a can is like a musket

I have 3 of the LRP’s with a 4th on order. Mine have tracked great out to 1100 yards and returned to zero dependably.

I have worked loads behind Vortex, Nightforce, Leupold VX-6 etc and the LRP is my personal choice of scopes.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:12 PM   #35
Tye
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
I have 3 of the LRP’s with a 4th on order. Mine have tracked great out to 1100 yards and returned to zero dependably.

I have worked loads behind Vortex, Nightforce, Leupold VX-6 etc and the LRP is my personal choice of scopes.
Good to hear. I liked that they offer it in MILs and FFP. I currently have a Mark 6 on the 22" upper and love it. Do you have the TMR reticle? If so, does it have the floating dot at the center of the reticle? Have you tried the CDS? Is the zero lock easy to adjust?
Tye is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 11:42 PM   #36
bboswell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tye View Post
Good to hear. I liked that they offer it in MILs and FFP. I currently have a Mark 6 on the 22" upper and love it. Do you have the TMR reticle? If so, does it have the floating dot at the center of the reticle? Have you tried the CDS? Is the zero lock easy to adjust?

I have the TMOA reticles in my LRP’s. I have a VX3i with CDS and it’s fine for a hunting scope.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:38 AM   #37
Bill in San Jose
Pope & Young

Hunt In: CA, CO, OR, and TX

Good rifle choice. Check the torque on the 2 screws attaching the action. Mine were not to factory spec (too loose) and when I figured it out and fixed I shot a sub 1” group at 200. I have a thread on it here.

I went cheaper on glass with a Vortex Viper, good luck hunting with whichever you decide.

Bill in San Jose is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2018, 11:40 AM   #38
TxAg
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
Good rifle choice. Check the torque on the 2 screws attaching the action. Mine were not to factory spec (too loose) and when I figured it out and fixed I shot a sub 1” group at 200. I have a thread on it here.

I went cheaper on glass with a Vortex Viper, good luck hunting with whichever you decide.

What did they recommend in ft/lbs?
TxAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top