No announcement yet.

Youth Rifle Selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All my kids killed their deer with a Ruger youth model m77 in 243. I have a mid range bushnell scope and shoot the corelokts out of it. It does great.

Comment

Personally i'm a Grendel fan but the 243 has been a staple youth cartridge for a looongg time. One of the Henry single shots in 243 would make a very nice first rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by Keg View Post
        My g-son is 12.... He’s been hunting several years with a Ruger American in 300 blackout... He absolutely smashes everything with that gun... Probably 2 dozen hogs and several deer....
        The best youth gun I’ve seen... He now has a Remington model 7 in 243...but shoots the Ruger better..
        We love our Ruger Americans. Dont like the model 7. I tried.

Comment

Another vote for the Hornady Custom Lite. I run them in a 270 for my daughter and the "published" info says they have similar recoil to the 243. I also considered running them in a 30.06 (as I have a better option in that caliber), but the BC and recoil with those bullets are better with the 270. BTW those were just the two calibers I had on hand.

I am going to have her shoot my 6.5 CM which is on an AR platform here pretty soon. If she likes that I may switch her.

Of the options you mentioned, I like the idea of adding the 300 BLK to your arsenal. #1 you are adding to your aresenal. #2 that round works really good for kids at short range. My little nephew shoots 300 BLK and it works great.

Comment

All great suggestions guys. I think i am going to pick up a .243 to get him started and heck i might even get the 300 BO upper just to play with and have another option. Between 3 boys and me, they'll all get some action.

Anyone have a recommendation for a mid-range AR Upper?

Comment

My son started killing stuff when he was 6 with a Savage 11 Youth in 7'08. I downloaded em with H4895 pushing a 120 Nosler BT about 2450 fps. He's killed a dozen+ critters with it, only 3 took a step, none required a 2nd shot.

He's 11 now, still shoots that rifle but with full power loads pushing a 139 SST.

Comment

I've had good luck out of palmetto state uppers and bear creek uppers.
                I'd consider them less than mid range price wise but I rarely shoot past 100 or 125 yards with them so long as they are minite of deer accurate im good.
                My buddy worked up hand loads on his bear creek that are 1 moa out to 300 yards.
                But all ours are 6.5 grendel.
                Love that round killed a few deer and 100 or so hogs never lost an animal

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Ended up picking a Savage .243 off of Charrell71 on here and then immediately went in to cabelas to find ammo and bout another Savage axis compact model .243.

So i'll probably be listing the first Savage Axis .243 again in the classifieds.

Comment

The 300blk with 110’s is the perfect starter youth caliber in my opinion. I would prefer it in a Tikka or something but as an AR upper, just load one bullet in the mag. My boy shot his first doe at 5 years old with my 300blk suppressed AR. Doe fell in her tracks and he didn’t even feel recoil or flinch.

Comment

I started with a wood stock m77 mk2 Ruger in 243.

Comment

300 blk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My 8 year old daughter starting hunting with a savage axis .243 after plinking a .22 for 2 years. I bedded the stock on that cheap gun and it is an absolute shooter!
                          Last edited by ninemile; 08-10-2020, 03:08 PM. Reason: added caliber

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Remington Model 7 Youth in .243 will last him a lifetime and he will pass it down to his kids. That's exactly what I'm doing, still like shooting mine and it's 30 years old.

Also - Hornady American Whitetail 100gr kills a lot of deer and pigs.

Comment

Ruger american compact in 243 or 7mm-08. Heck I’m going to get one for a woods gun. Those things are sweet !

Comment

Working...
                                X