Recommendation on a youth .270 Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendation on a youth .270 Rifle

A co-worker values my opinion and insists that I am an expert on all things hunting. I am the resident hunter in the office but I am not a huge gun guy. I have been strictly bow for like 8 years now.

He is asking me to recommend a .270, I quote...

"I want a bad a... new style youth .270 with a killer scope."

He doesn't have a budget or brand preference. Synthetic stock is fine.
    Would some of the gun experts please point me in the right direction and make a few great recommendations Please?

Thanks for your help!

depending on the age of the youth, I probably wouldnt get a .270

Comment

I bought my daughter a tikka .270 and topped with a maven scope. It is an awesome setup!!

Comment

I don’t know that I have ever seen a youth sized 270 but I am sure someone with more knowledge than me will chime in.

Comment

Steer him to the Ruger American Compact in .308. My 8 & 12 yo shoot it perfect. I like it myself and it's a nail driver! Great trigger and around $300 if I remember right.

Check out the Reduced Recoil .308 ammo too. 50% less recoil.
          Last edited by Traildust; 11-29-2018, 08:00 AM.

Comment

I would have him get a 700 bull barrel. Restock it and put a timey trigger in it. Buy a youth stock or fully adjustable stock. Top it with a good Vortex. Tell him get the barrel threads or have a brake put on it. Threaded he can put brake on if the recoil is too much. With bull Harrell and heavy fully adjustable stock I would think the recoil would be mild. Kid can carry the gun the rest of their life

Comment

Get APR to build one

Comment

I'd steer him towards a 7mm-08 or 243 for a youth. Way less recoil than a 270Win.

Tell him to back off the macho thing and not over-gun his kid. Developing a bad flinch in a kid is hard to correct

Comment

Remington offers their youth model M700 in 7mm-08. That would be a nice rifle to start with. Top it of with a killer scope like a NightForce ,Schmidt & Bender or Swarovski and call it good.

Comment

Wow. Some great recommendations. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post
                      I'd steer him towards a 7mm-08 or 243 for a youth. Way less recoil than a 270Win.

Tell him to back off the macho thing and not over-gun his kid. Developing a bad flinch in a kid is hard to correct
                      Ok. Didn't realize this. Never shot a .270. Thank you.

Comment

Thanks also for whoever moved this thread. I didn't mean to not post it to the right spot.

Comment

My son was shooting a full-sized Rem 700 in 270 at 11 years old. Reduced recoil ammo.

Comment

Don’t know of any youth 270’s. Like others have said I’d go the 7-08 or 308 route. I sure like the Remington model 7s

Comment

.270 can be a bit much for a kid. Unless he is a big ol boy! I go 6.5 Creed or 7-08, .260

Comment

Working...
                              X