Texas Sales Tax Rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas Sales Tax Rant

If you own a retail sales business in the state of Texas you charge a sales tax rate for that jurisdiction your in. The money that you collect for sales tax belongs to the state of Texas and you are responsible to turn it over to the state, quarterly or monthly depending on the amount you collect. I pay mine monthly and the state electronically takes it from my bank account on the 20th of every month.

Today I get a notice from the state granting amnesty to business owners who "forgot" to turn in the sales tax monies. They will not have to pay penalties or interest on the money they screwed the state out of. A copy here:

The Texas Tax
    Amnesty Program

The Texas Tax Amnesty Program will run from May 1, 2018, through June 29, 2018.

The Texas Tax Amnesty Program provides delinquent taxpayers with relief from penalties and interest on tax due. Tax amnesty applies to periods prior to Jan. 1, 2018, and only includes liabilities that have not been previously identified as due by the Comptroller. It does not apply to periods currently under audit review, IFTA taxes, PUC Gross Receipts assessments, Local Motor Vehicle Tax and Unclaimed Property payments.

Stay tuned to comptroller.texas.gov/tax-amnesty for details.

Why in the He** aint these jackwagons turning in the money? Now the state says its ok to screw us over and we will let it slide if you can "find the monies" between them dates. Really!

Rant over, no wait...

If you are Ag Exempt please use it the proper way, I hate it when I guy comes in the store and buys a two dollar stick of chapstick and wants ag exemption on it. Then he wants to argue about it when you tell him no.

Good God man.

Yep. Got the same email today. I dont do many taxable sales and the whole system is an irritant, but how can you not come up with the money? It was given to you to hold until you transfer it to the state. If you dont have it then you wrongfully spent the states money!

Comment

His lips are chapped from working cows all day.

Comment

They won't even let me use our tax id for feeders that feed "their" deer!!

Comment

I don't know anything about most.of.your post but I do know a lot of folks have come into the store I worked and would throw a fit if I would not allow them to use an AG exempt on stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
            His lips are chapped from working cows all day.
            Lol

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
              I don't know anything about most.of.your post but I do know a lot of folks have come into the store I worked and would throw a fit if I would not allow them to use an AG exempt on stuff.
              When the state audits your store for ag exempt purchases you will know. Clothing, food and personal items are not exempt and penalties will be applied if caught. As a business owner, I sure aint paying a penalty for it.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                They won't even let me use our tax id for feeders that feed "their" deer!!
                Did you try?

Comment

Amazing how many Ag exempt license plates I see in our work parking lot. Not much farming going on in the defense fighter business.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                    Did you try?
                    Every single one I buy. Even blinds Lmmfao

Comment

Cannot hurt to try.
                      Tax on a 2.00 chapstick is .16 cents Lol. Tax on a 2500.00 blind is 206.25 and that is worth trying for . My sales tax rate is 8.25

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                        Amazing how many Ag exempt license plates I see in our work parking lot. Not much farming going on in the defense fighter business.
                        I am sure one of these days there will be a major crackdown on this. The state knows they are losing a lot of money on fraudulent purchases.

Comment

Got that same email today looks like I'm giving myself a raise

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                            Do you own land that qualifies for 1-d-1 and Ag/Timber card? Also, the notion that someone running farm tags is truly coming out ahead is laughable. Now running off road diesel on the highways, that's a different story. Of course no one does that.

Comment

Got the same notice. I’ve been thru a sales tax audit... good times. But they found zero infractions so it wasn’t too bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X