Got calves! Now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got calves! Now what?

Our 9 heifers and 1 "momma cow" had 10 calves. Our intentions are to sell them. How do we get the most money out of them? You cattle guys have any advice?
    Attached Files

take them to the sale barn at 6 months

Comment

just like anything in the cattle Biz, depends on who you ask. some people like to sell em light some like to sell heavy, some in the middle. they look like they should be ready for grass come spring, in that case I would sell them when they 7-750#. but like I said, just depends on who you ask.

Comment

Get them as big as the cows can handle. 600+ for dang sure

Comment

IMO Keep your cost low as possible, take care of momma and sell at 400lbs their first calf isn't the best just getting a live calf to the sale is key. Get the calf off her ASAP and get her bred again. Feel blessed you didn't have calving problems and have all healthy calves

Comment

I will give you a $1,000 for all 10 calves and problem solved

God Bless
            Bish

Comment

Work them, vaccinate, worm, castrate, and give them an implant. Feed to 500-700 and sale. Repeat. Great job going 10/10, good looking calves too.

Comment

Location?, i would take a few off your hands.

Comment

Depending on weather conditions and prices, we'll sell ours anywhere between 500-700lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by BrokenJ View Post
                    IMO Keep your cost low as possible, take care of momma and sell at 400lbs their first calf isn't the best just getting a live calf to the sale is key. Get the calf off her ASAP and get her bred again. Feel blessed you didn't have calving problems and have all healthy calves
                    This is the best advice yet. With first time heifers, you want to pull calves sooner than usual and give her plenty of time to bounce back and be ready to breed again. I would sell no later than 5 months old for the calves.

With typical cow-calf commercial operations, you'll load them up and take them to the local sale barns.
                    Last edited by solocam_aggie; 02-08-2017, 03:06 PM.

Comment

I'd wait a couple months market is down pretty bad right now, with this warm weather you can get by with grazing and feed supplement without loosing too much weight. Coast them into spring and sell them around march-april

Comment

This being the heifers first time to calve I would watch the momma's and let them tell you when to take them off. If they start getting poor either ship them to the sale barn or separate and feed out. I like to hold mine til they get about 600#'s, but that's just me.

Good looking calves by the way. What kinda bull you running?

Comment

Got calves! Now what?

Good enough thanks!

Comment

I agree, sell the ones off heifers around 350 - 400 lbs . Make sure to vaccinate for blackleg. You may castrate the bull calves, but not a big deal if you intend selling them small.

Comment

Good info! Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X