No announcement yet.

Salary Employee’s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can’t gripe if you choose to stay. You are free to find another job at any time. Someone is always willing to pay more and better benefits to good qualified employees. I love what I do and we have a good group where I am. That makes the big job offers less appealing. You do what’s best for you and the family. A salary exempt position would have to be a good chunk of money to get me to do it again. But there’s a lot more factors than just your normal check. Bonus. Benefits. Vacation. Truck. Etc.

Comment

I'm in logistics which is a 24/7/365 job. While I am salaried, I also make commission. Very rarely am I not working at any given time on any given day. Its the nature of the beast!

Comment

Originally posted by stickbowcoop View Post
        I am the same; salaried engineer. I work 8 hour days unless there is an emergency (well when not on sick leave such as I am now). I went back to school as an adult and chose engineering for salary potential because I got tired of working hours like mentioned in this thread just to earn a living. You guys can brag about the hours you work, but I am not impressed. Nobody ever said they wished they worked more on their death beds. I plan to enjoy life and live while I can.
        There is allot wisdom in his statements, especially the last sentence. I was one of those guys that worked all the hours I could. I understand the need to soupport your Family but if you can find a balance it’s much better for all involved imo. I did retire at 53 but now that I am older I have to question myself was it really worth it. Not that I can do anything about it now.

Comment

I am salary and work 10hrs a day 5 days a week, more if needed. I also answer my phone and emails 24/7, if a truck breaks down in the middle of the night I usually get the call to go check on it. But I get a company vehicle and fuel that I get to do whatever I want with. I live 5 minutes from my job and the deer lease is 10 minutes away. If I want to run to the lease in the middle of the day and check a camera I do or put out a little corn. My hot spot works in the stand so sometimes during the rut I just might be working from the stand.

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
            Umm...I'm pretty sure our standard work week, weekends, overtime, minimum wages, etc. came from the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938...not directly from Labor Unions.
            And the act came about due to Unions...

It kinda sounds like some of you don't like a set salary and having to work 12-15 hours a day. Seems y'all should renegotiate or unionize...

Comment

Originally posted by kp143631 View Post
              Truly understand your issue. I’m salary and work a minimum of 12 hours a day not counting being on the phone for the hour commmute each way. Once I get home my phone does not stop through the night or during the weekend. I also get around 20 text a night and too many to count on the weekends. What makes it even worse is the hands that work for me that are hourly make way more money and don’t have to worry about the night or weekend calls. If they get called they get to charge a minimum of one hour and if they come out they get paid from the time of the phone call until they get back home. When I took this job the hourly rate was a lot less, but since they have raised their rates by 15% in the last year and salary has not been raised. At least I get a pay check that supports my family is what I keep telling myself.
              Sounds like you worked at the same place as me! I was hourly, but our supervisor got fired so I agreed to be the interim supervisor until they hired somebody. I thought it was a job I would like, but I am thankful that I got to try it for 6 months before I was made an offer. We were very busy and understaffed, as supervisor I got very little sleep at night and was always on the phone/laptop when not at work. They made me an offer to match my base pay, and I quickly declined. I was looking at losing $30k in overtime a year maybe more, and working more while doing it.

Comment

These 168 hour work weeks have been really getting to me.

Best of luck to all you hard workers. If you are not happy with your situation do something to change it. I know it is not always simple, but most likely no one else will do it for you.
                Last edited by Kdog; 08-22-2018, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TXUSMC View Post
                  First job post USMC, I’m learning.
                  You need to change your profile.

Comment

Originally posted by stickbowcoop View Post
                    I am the same; salaried engineer. I work 8 hour days unless there is an emergency (well when not on sick leave such as I am now). I went back to school as an adult and chose engineering for salary potential because I got tired of working hours like mentioned in this thread just to earn a living. You guys can brag about the hours you work, but I am not impressed. Nobody ever said they wished they worked more on their death beds. I plan to enjoy life and live while I can.
                    I know of at least 4 people who would say they wish they worked more, not including myself. Two of them are my bosses who absolutely love their job, and two are professional (sponsored) elk hunters.

Find a job you love, you will never work a day in your life.

Comment

[QUOTE=No way I would work a job where I didn't get compensated for anything over 40 hours.[/QUOTE]

x2.. What benefit is there for working for free?

Comment

It really depends on Company and industry.

Just my opinion, but business owners (small and large), Corporate Executives, etc., don't punch a time clock. If you ever plan to run a Company or move into middle/upper management ranks, you probably will end up with a salaried position. These people are paid to lead/manage a company, while their non-exempt employees are paid for their time. Whether you agree with that notion or not, that's how many in those ranks see it.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                          I get best of both worlds, I'm salary non-exempt. So I get paid my salary, anything over my normal 40 hour work week is OT. No way I would work a job where I didn't get compensated for anything over 40 hours.
                          When you accept a position at x amount of dollars and hrs, you are compensated. Salary bon non exempt is completely different than salary.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                            Are you all saying that the 40hour work week and the thought/idea of being paid "overtime" that y'all are so graciously coveting were not the direct result of labor unions and their "strikes"?

Organized labor have you what you consider "standard" working conditions today.

Past life I'm a Union Fitter- chiller mech
                            I'm now a salaried Manager in the mechanical service industry....salary with incentive. My drive has me going about 60 to 70 a week because I love what I do and don't consider what I do "going to work"

I asked if you fell on your head because it was funny

I can care less how other people view their profession and the hours they work

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

It really seems to depend on your industry and the type of boss you have. Technically salary implies you’re willing to do what’s expected of you for $”X”, regardless of the time it takes. If 2 guys have the same job and salary, but one can do the work in 30 hours while the other takes 50, that’s just the way it is.

IMO, it “should” balance out to ~ 40 hours/week. Some places keep track of every hour and it turns into comp/vacation time. Some are more relaxed and will realize you’ve been pushing hard for awhile and it’s not a big deal to take a day off or come in late/leave early when things are slow.

Working 12 hour days year round isn’t cool, but if you do have slow seasons/rain days, etc, you need to take that into account.

There are also bosses who put people on salary and then work them to death while saving $ on overtime pay. If that’s your situation, you’ve got bigger problems than just time. A lot of bosses will want to see if you’ve got some extra drive before offering you a promotion though, just something to keep in mind.
                              Last edited by gatorgrizz27; 08-22-2018, 05:33 PM.

Comment

I work salary for NASA. I can go to work at 8am, work 8 hours, play a round of golf and still be home by 4pm.

Comment

Working...
                                X