No announcement yet.

Parenting Input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When my daughter was 4 and it was time to go for a riding lesson on her horse she never wanted to go, but once she got there and on her horse you couldn't get her off of it. She loves to rodeo, but hates to have to go practice.

Comment

Why is this even a question? I realize he's only 4, but if you let him quit you are only creating a quitting habit. He made the decision that he wanted to play, he needs to finish the season.

Comment

A quitting habit, at 4 years old? Really?

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
          Take him but dont force him to play but let him know hes going to be there regardless because he said he wanted to.
          Also, bribes.... however im with the kid.. soccer's for girls.

pure Gold lol

Comment

Originally posted by cookemerkel View Post
            A quitting habit, at 4 years old? Really?
            I'll admit it...and prolly goin some hot place for it...but this made me laugh a little...

Comment

Originally posted by chunkinlead View Post
              Why is this even a question? I realize he's only 4, but if you let him quit you are only creating a quitting habit. He made the decision that he wanted to play, he needs to finish the season.
              Doesn't exactly sound like he made the decisions. 4 year olds and decisions are pretty sketchy.

Comment

I don't think it ever happened when mine was 4, but after he got a little older, if he signed up, he finished that season.

Bisch

Comment

Just my personal opinion, at that age, I hated that my wife had the kids in organized sports. It got in the way of taking the kids hunting or fishing. And we had five young kids, so pretty much, 7am until 5pm on most Saturdays, we were at the soccer or football fields.

Way too young, and all I got to listen to was how good little Johnny or Jane was, and blah blah blah. Oh, here is your participation medal as well. Somebody was making a lot of money off of these parents.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

IMHO, in my family we finish what we start (with the exception of soccer this past year - dad’s approval only. Let’s be honest, baseball trumps soccer and they’re played in the same season)I don’t want to raise him as a soccer hooligan. Monetary is secondary and at 4, obviously he wouldn’t understand that.
                    Last edited by JLivi1224; 08-08-2018, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Next time you sign him up for something tell him if you cut the check he finishes out the season no matter how he feels. No skipping practice either.

If he says no then find something else for him to do.

Comment

Originally posted by JHT View Post
                        Next time you sign him up for something tell him if you cut the check he finishes out the season no matter how he feels. No skipping practice either.

If he says no then find something else for him to do.
                        This was my original thought, but then I remember, he's not even in Kindergarten. He has no concept of money or what all is involved in "cutting the check"

Comment

Originally posted by mooney_ag View Post
                          I would encourage both of you to get involved. Sign up to be an assistant or at least a helper to get involved as well. You'll both get way more out of it! I knew nothing either and got the arm twist to coach. First game was a train wreck but we had kids from 4 - 6. Big difference in development between those ages and experience. Did it until I got divorced and they moved away. Enjoyed more than I ever imagined. Never regretted it. And yes, you will be a coach to them the rest of your life.

On the other side, I think we start our kids way to early into sports and way too hard. Same for academics later on. They just need time to enjoy being a kid.
                          I just passed my background check to become an assistant coach. I'm looking forward to just playing with the kids. Mandatory laughing will be enforced.

Bribes work too - good luck soccer dad.

Comment

Originally posted by Blake8504 View Post
                            This was my original thought, but then I remember, he's not even in Kindergarten. He has no concept of money or what all is involved in "cutting the check"
                            Then use it as a lesson when you sign up to play a team sport you are part of a team that needs you to play/be there till the seasons over.

More than likely he won't remember any of this since he's only 4.

Comment

The difference from 4 to 5 is huge. Next year you can use logic, this year.....go catch perch.

Comment

At 4 we tried soccer, as said already it was an unorganized mess. There were two kids on the team that had natural talent. My boy never scored a goal but had a blast. After that I wanted him to try Tball. He doesn’t like trying new things and said no. Me knowing he would like it if he tried it I bribed him. Now he really likes it, just turned 6, and has 3 seasons of Tball under his belt and is starting machine pitch in the fall. I bribed him to try flag football this past spring as well and he loves that too. We will also be playing that in the fall for his second season. If he truly didn’t want to I wouldn’t make him. But I know all he needs is to try things and generally likes it. Also agree with kids that aren’t into it wasting others time and being a distraction. We had a kid on our football team that wasn’t enjoying it at all and it got to be pretty annoying. But to be honest if he said he isn’t getting out of the truck, I would make him. He doesn’t decide that in my books. I wouldn’t force him to play but tricking them into trying stuff is easy and for some kids that’s all it takes

Comment

Working...
                                X