Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doc’s got a second date! Brown Bear Round #2

Here we go again!!!!!!!

I found out while we were in Guatemala that I drew my brown bear tag in Alaska. I was happy and terrified at the same time. I just could not see how to make the dates work. I had a miscommunication with the outfitter and was penciled in for the one set of dates that absolutely would not work. We had another hunter willing to change hunts with me but then found the tags were zone or unit specific and it put too many hunters in that area. Next we had a call in to fish and game with no luck. I had an email typed and ready to send to officially turn in my tag when a miracle of God occurred!!!! Thanks to an understanding wife, great fellow physicians and a gracious God above I’ll be chasing the big boys again.

Brown Bear Round #2
    Afognak Island, Alaska
    April 24-May 5

The quest for the super slam continues.....

God is good
    Enjoy the hunt

Comment

Awesome!
      Enjoy and go get’em!

Comment

Wooo!

Good luck!

Comment

Congrats. Glad it worked out for you. Looking forward to the hunt thread always fun to follow a Doc May hunt.

Comment

Awesome. Congrats

Comment

Boooked the flights and hotel in Kodiak tonight.

Ordered some new Sitka items over the weekend.

Ordered enough arrow shafts a d broadhead to kill all the brown bears in the woods I think! I’m going to see how a gold tip platinum pierce 250 looks with a 150 grain head up front. I’m thinking it with be in the 550 grain all in range. Probably going to be either a silver flame, iron will or Alaska Bowhunting monarch leading the way. If they won’t fly I may back down to a 125 grain head in the above choices except a solid instead of the monarch. If I don’t love those I might consider the new grizzly sticks at 650 grains. The fun is in the prep!

Comment

Alright! Sure enjoy a good bear hunt. In the mood because I just got my 2 rugs from the 2016 fall hunt. Will be following ��

Comment

Good luck! The iron will 150 gr solids look sweet, but they are supposed to be shipping in April so it’ll be cutting it close depending on when you get them

Comment

That’s a dream hunt for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
                      Here we go again!!!!!!!

I found out while we were in Guatemala that I drew my brown bear tag in Alaska. I was happy and terrified at the same time. I just could not see how to make the dates work. I had a miscommunication with the outfitter and was penciled in for the one set of dates that absolutely would not work. We had another hunter willing to change hunts with me but then found the tags were zone or unit specific and it put too many hunters in that area. Next we had a call in to fish and game with no luck. I had an email typed and ready to send to officially turn in my tag when a miracle of God occurred!!!! Thanks to an understanding wife, great fellow physicians and a gracious God above I’ll be chasing the big boys again.

Brown Bear Round #2
                      Afognak Island, Alaska
                      April 24-May 5

The quest for the super slam continues.....
                      Steve Rinella has some great podcasts about an elk hunt on Afognak Island in episodes 85-87.

Comment

Put the check in the mail today to pay the balance due. My 250 spine shafts should be here tomorrow. Gotta find time to build arrows before junior’s baseball cranks up. Always busy but late April might be really awesome!!!!

Comment

Awesome

Congrats on the tag and looking forward to the hunt

Comment

Congrats. Should be exciting to say the least. Will be following for sure

Comment

Sounds exciting I hope you can get it filmed and have a guide with a big rifle for back up, it would blow up on YouTube

Comment

Working...
                              X