224 Valkyrie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

224 Valkyrie

Is this a round that will stand the test of time and other manufacturers jump in the game?

Thinking about changing an AR 15 to this round. I’m not all that interested in the 1000 yard/long range capabilities, but a heavier round in 22 cal interests me for predators, hogs and deer.

Your thoughts?

Think its gona be really popular, IF it is nice to brass, which the nosler round ISNT.

Comment

Yes, it will take off. It’s nearly a 22-250 out of an AR15.

Comment

Kinda my thought but I’m hesitant to adopt early and have little access to ammo, and it go away completely.

Looks like all I need is a new barrel (& rifle length gas tube), bcg and new 6.8 mags. Not all that much to convert.

Comment

I'd choose the .22Nosler over the Valkyrie. Only time will tell if either will be around for long.

Comment

I would not go with the 22 Nosler due to the heavily rebated rim. The Valkrie is a better design.

Comment

Shooting varmint bullets it doesn't have any advantage over the Nosler out to 300 yards. It's designed to shoot at long range. As far as coyote killing capabilities inside 300 yards goes the Nosler wins. But that's just my opinion.

Comment

Time will tell if it lasts or not. I do find it interesting and will probably end up building one just for poops and giggles. Depending on how it performs I may keep but most likely I will sale it later one.

Comment

I would like to see a bolt action with a 16"-18" barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by 300rem7 View Post
                    I would like to see a bolt action with a 16"-18" barrel.
                    Aye, in which case it's competing with the 22-250...

Comment

I really think yall are looking at this round backwards... the beauty is how it handles LARGER bullets, not 40 grain varmint pills... 75 grain would be the lightest i shot out of one if i got it, think there will be more 80-90 grainers put out for it. Will be HECK on yotes and pigs

The round will be around the compitition cuitcuit for sure, we'll see about hunting rounds. Curious what barrel life is gona be like since it has a little longer throat.

Like i said b4, look up nosler problems... lots and lots of overpressure, HECK on brass.

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
                        I really think yall are looking at this round backwards... the beauty is how it handles LARGER bullets, not 40 grain varmint pills... 75 grain would be the lightest i shot out of one if i got it, think there will be more 80-90 grainers put out for it. Will be HECK on yotes and pigs

The round will be around the compitition cuitcuit for sure, we'll see about hunting rounds. Curious what barrel life is gona be like since it has a little longer throat.

Like i said b4, look up nosler problems... lots and lots of overpressure, HECK on brass.
                        Over pressure can be solved with an adjustable gas block most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post

That is precisely where my intrigue is with this caliber, the fact that you can throw a heavier 22 cal projectile at respectable velocity

Comment

i know i am odd man out on this one,, but i can not see the need to push 70+ grain bullets out of a .22 anything ,, the ,22's were built for speed by reducing bullet diameter and weight, not to shove heavy for bore pills at slower velocities than you can get from 6mm and 25 cal rounds,,, but if i need to shove a 70 grain or heavier bullet i am going to a bigger round like the 243 or 6mm, even the old "feeble" 250 savage makes 3000 with 87gr bullets,, and recoil is still mild..... i like the 204 at 4200 fps, any number of 223 selections at over 3400 fps, the 243 pushing 4000 fps,,,, i just cant see any reason for 22 cal at 2400-2600 fps when it can be so much better,,,, but to each his own, thats why we have choices and reloading equipment...

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                              i know i am odd man out on this one,, but i can not see the need to push 70+ grain bullets out of a .22 anything ,, the ,22's were built for speed by reducing bullet diameter and weight, not to shove heavy for bore pills at slower velocities than you can get from 6mm and 25 cal rounds,,, but if i need to shove a 70 grain or heavier bullet i am going to a bigger round like the 243 or 6mm, even the old "feeble" 250 savage makes 3000 with 87gr bullets,, and recoil is still mild..... i like the 204 at 4200 fps, any number of 223 selections at over 3400 fps, the 243 pushing 4000 fps,,,, i just cant see any reason for 22 cal at 2400-2600 fps when it can be so much better,,,, but to each his own, thats why we have choices and reloading equipment...
                              First off 90 grainers are going 2700 fps...
                              Super sonic at 1300 yards... awesome bc
                              Less wind drift due to smaller bullet diameter
                              Less recoil than any of the calibers you spoke of
                              Fits in STANDARD AR platform...

Im a huge beliver in heavier bullets on animals... your talking about a 22 cal that 0 question about it has the mass to hunt deer. No ?'s about is 5.56 enough... 224 valk is enough.

I LOVE 204... but it can have penitration issues if you hit ANY bone. Especially if your shooting 32's at 4200... and 40 grainers in 204 take a faster twist, not all rifles like them... 204 past 400 yards is RISKY... valk with 90 grainers... i think 600+yard yotes are a real possibility...

Not saying it will replace tried and trues, just saying most interesting to come along in a WHILE and definatly has a place
                              Last edited by catslayer; 02-13-2018, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X