Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-10-2017, 09:58 PM   #101
.243 WSSM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceNmercy View Post
This isn't something I think...this is something I'm heavily involved in and have been to several of the release sites to know that the numbers are good, and I am currently coordinating another co-op for another super stocking.

Habitat is one of the most important factors for turkey survival, and there is actually some great habitat in Anderson county...lots of lands owned by private landowners and timber companies that are managed and burned for wildlife. Anderson county is also very diverse with hardwoods/Savannah to the west and pine forest and hardwood bottoms to the east.

Most people are familiar with Fannin and Red River counties as places with good turkey numbers because there is a season and some of the highest numbers harvest numbers come from those counties. There is no season in Anderson county in years, and though there were fragmented survivors from some of the initial stockings in portions of the county, there has been multiple super stockings in that area over the years with efforts still taking place.

When the super stocking was first tested in east Texas, one of those test locations was in southeast Anderson county in 2007. Today that site in particular has one of the highest populations of turkeys in east Texas, and birds have been spreading throughout the eastern portion of that county along the neches river. I communicate with the State biologist who is over the eastern turkey program on a regular basis and he told me himself that the easterns in this area along the neches river are similar to what you'd see in rio county along the Llano river.

Since that stocking there has been there has been 3 more super stockings in northwest and northeast Anderson county and two more along the Anderson/Cherokee county lines, and there's been good production on a few of those sites including the most recent that just took place this spring. There's another release planned for this winter, and once we tie together the 15,000+ acre co-op together that we're organizing in northeast Anderson county, hopefully there will be another release in the next 2 or 3 years.

Either way, listen to our head biologist at 4:15 minutes in the following video at the Coon Pond release on the Cherokee/Anderson county border. The site he mentions to the north with some of the highest populations in the state is the original super stocking test site in Anderson county...http://www.texasalloutdoors.com/Outd...the-pineywoods
Thanks for the info and thanks for helping the eastern turkey continue to expand. My info regarding Fannin and Lamar Co was from john burk who was eastern turkey leader for 11 yrs at tpwd and now sr regional biologist in mo. He was involved with east tx stockings from the start. I don't doubt there is good areas in anderson but I have seen winter flocks in fannin /lamar close to 70 birds and it's because of the outstanding habitat in those areas. I have driven through anderson an awful lot through the years and have never seen a turkey. The good habitat there is not continguous and very spotty. Yes there no doubt some good areas but it's a farce to say it's superior habitat and more birds vs fannin/lamar/red river
.243 WSSM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2017, 10:08 PM   #102
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by .243 WSSM View Post
Thanks for the info and thanks for helping the eastern turkey continue to expand. My info regarding Fannin and Lamar Co was from john burk who was eastern turkey leader for 11 yrs at tpwd and now sr regional biologist in mo. He was involved with east tx stockings from the start. I don't doubt there is good areas in anderson but I have seen winter flocks in fannin /lamar close to 70 birds and it's because of the outstanding habitat in those areas. I have driven through anderson an awful lot through the years and have never seen a turkey. The good habitat there is not continguous and very spotty. Yes there no doubt some good areas but it's a farce to say it's superior habitat and more birds vs fannin/lamar/red river
You like to argue don't you? Lol
Etxbuckman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2017, 10:34 PM   #103
.243 WSSM
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post
You like to argue don't you? Lol
Not really. I just don't like reading skewed info and people taking it at face value
Old 09-10-2017, 11:28 PM   #104
Anvilheadtexas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Barnum (Polk County)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1986 View Post
AnvilheadTexas, I tried to pm you but your inbox is full.
Just saw this... it's cleared now!
Anvilheadtexas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 08:09 AM   #105
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Etxbuckman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 08:51 PM   #106
GraceNmercy
Four Point

Hunt In: Sabine NF, Sam Houston NF, LBJ National Grasslands, Junction TX, Brackettville TX

You're not getting anything skewed from me. I'm giving you current info from our current biologist who currently heads the Texas turkey program...not old info from those who used to work on the project.

Don't know John Burk as well, but know Jason Isabel who is the now biologist in MO over their turkey program. He worked on this project for years as a grad student before moving to MO, and him along with Jason Hardin, and Scotty Parsons, who was our NWTF biologist at the time, used to come speak in detail on the subject at an educational event my chapter used to host at Bass Pro in Pear Land, TX back in 2010-11. Even back then there was an increase in the population around that particular release site in southeast Anderson county.

Also, not only do I have property in Anderson county and have recently heard them gobbling on our neighbors place in the extreme northeastern portion of the county, but am currently talking to a very large number of landowners all along the eastern portion of the county near the neches river while organizing another co-op. There is a large number of these people living there who are actually seeing more and more decent sized flocks of turkeys on a regular basis in area in the eastern portion of the county.

Also, in the southeastern portion of the county in areas near the that original release site you will see some pretty large winter flocks pretty similar to what you describe in Fannin. I've driven through Fannin often and I've never seen turkeys and I drive through hill country even more while going on turkey hunts and although I know there are lots of turkeys in those areas, I seldom see them while driving through until I get to the actual ranch to hunt...that is with the exception of this past spring when I saw a gobbler stop twice to watch for cars while crossing hw 90 between Brackettville and Uvalde.

That said, you can't gauge the number of turkeys or any animals in an area solely just by driving through often or what we think is the better habitat. Even though we've had some hiccups at first with getting them reestablished, turkeys are hardy birds. If an eastern can do well in areas that doesn't have contiguous forest cover like eastern/central south Dakota and some of the midwest states with lots of farm lands, they can definitely survive in some of the scattered forest and tree lined creeks surrounded by grassland or pastures in parts of central Anderson county. Well managed contiguous forested landscapes are just our starting point for birds to get a good start and expand into the other areas.

Quote:
Not really. I just don't like reading skewed info and people taking it at face value
GraceNmercy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 09:32 PM   #107
.243 WSSM
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceNmercy View Post
You're not getting anything skewed from me. I'm giving you current info from our current biologist who currently heads the Texas turkey program...not old info from those who used to work on the project.

Don't know John Burk as well, but know Jason Isabel who is the now biologist in MO over their turkey program. He worked on this project for years as a grad student before moving to MO, and him along with Jason Hardin, and Scotty Parsons, who was our NWTF biologist at the time, used to come speak in detail on the subject at an educational event my chapter used to host at Bass Pro in Pear Land, TX back in 2010-11. Even back then there was an increase in the population around that particular release site in southeast Anderson county.

Also, not only do I have property in Anderson county and have recently heard them gobbling on our neighbors place in the extreme northeastern portion of the county, but am currently talking to a very large number of landowners all along the eastern portion of the county near the neches river while organizing another co-op. There is a large number of these people living there who are actually seeing more and more decent sized flocks of turkeys on a regular basis in area in the eastern portion of the county.

Also, in the southeastern portion of the county in areas near the that original release site you will see some pretty large winter flocks pretty similar to what you describe in Fannin. I've driven through Fannin often and I've never seen turkeys and I drive through hill country even more while going on turkey hunts and although I know there are lots of turkeys in those areas, I seldom see them while driving through until I get to the actual ranch to hunt...that is with the exception of this past spring when I saw a gobbler stop twice to watch for cars while crossing hw 90 between Brackettville and Uvalde.

That said, you can't gauge the number of turkeys or any animals in an area solely just by driving through often or what we think is the better habitat. Even though we've had some hiccups at first with getting them reestablished, turkeys are hardy birds. If an eastern can do well in areas that doesn't have contiguous forest cover like eastern/central south Dakota and some of the midwest states with lots of farm lands, they can definitely survive in some of the scattered forest and tree lined creeks surrounded by grassland or pastures in parts of central Anderson county. Well managed contiguous forested landscapes are just our starting point for birds to get a good start and expand into the other areas.
OK good deal. Things must have really progressed down there that is great to hear. Good news on the turkey expansion front
Old 09-11-2017, 10:03 PM   #108
Anvilheadtexas
Ten Point

Quote:
OK good deal. Things must have really progressed down there that is great to hear. Good news on the turkey expansion front
Hey.... a passionate discussion on Eastern Turkey!!!! Both you guys rock!
Old 09-11-2017, 11:23 PM   #109
GraceNmercy
Four Point

Hunt In: Sabine NF, Sam Houston NF, LBJ National Grasslands, Junction TX, Brackettville TX

Hey ...I'm just a turkey junky...lol. A few of our biologist would probably tell you that I've been bugging the heck out of them for years trying to stay involved and up to date...lol. Turkeys are my favorite critter in the woods, and I'm like a sponge trying to learn and help out as much as I can to raise awareness. You rock yourself Sir...those funds raised through your hike will go a long way to helping with this project and I applaud you for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
Hey.... a passionate discussion on Eastern Turkey!!!! Both you guys rock!
Old 09-11-2017, 11:38 PM   #110
GraceNmercy
Four Point

See...my last X-Ray shows that I have a serious problem. This is my brain about 95% of the time...lol
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2017, 12:07 AM   #111
futureagg
Six Point

Hunt In: Deep East Tx

Quote:
Thank you. I would definitely like to hear more turkey sightings.
I saw some last year at our place in Houston County in Weches a group of about 15 Hens and in Cherokee County at our place bordering the Davy Crockett National Forest was one big Tom.
futureagg is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 10:24 PM   #112
popo1984
Eight Point

I hunt in Polk county and told the guys at camp last year that I heard turkey when I was out hunting one day. The lease manager said they had not seen any in years and some guys said I was full of it. I talked to the lease manager today and the property owner said he saw several under a feeder near where I heard them last year.
popo1984 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 01:44 PM   #113
Anvilheadtexas
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by popo1984 View Post
I hunt in Polk county and told the guys at camp last year that I heard turkey when I was out hunting one day. The lease manager said they had not seen any in years and some guys said I was full of it. I talked to the lease manager today and the property owner said he saw several under a feeder near where I heard them last year.
Good news!! Where about sin Polk County. My place is in Barnum and I am patiently waiting! There has been some in area in recent years.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:29 PM   #114
popo1984
Eight Point

Quote:
Good news!! Where about sin Polk County. My place is in Barnum and I am patiently waiting! There has been some in area in recent years.
Seven oaks
Old 07-23-2018, 02:33 PM   #115
txhunter007
Six Point

Saw about 15 a few years ago in newton county.
txhunter007 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 02:41 PM   #116
Anvilheadtexas
Ten Point

Seven Oaks...very cool. Newton County... I want to say they are doing better the further east you go. I believe Newton County has some turkey.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:25 PM   #117
Pineywoods Paul
Eight Point

Hunt In: Polk County, TX

We have a huntable number of eastern birds in northwest Polk County from US287 west of Corrigan south to FM 350 west of Moscow. These birds have been here at least since early ‘90’s and another stocking was done a few years ago. We have probably harvested 20-30 gobblers on our club since 1999 or so. Usually 1-3 per Spring season.

Our biggest issues are hog predation on nests and maintaining open corridors between various age timber stands that are either very young / open or mature hardwoods/ pine mixed stands that are open enough.

To address post just above:
It’s not legal nor advisable for individuals to privately attempt stocking per our TPWD biologists. Disease proliferation is one issue. Another issue is difficulty securing eastern birds that can survive here. Attempts to stick Rios, Merriams etc. have failed miserably in east Texas.

Last edited by Pineywoods Paul; 07-23-2018 at 03:28 PM.
Pineywoods Paul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 03:53 PM   #118
cbd10pt
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for new places

The Woodlands has some.
And 1488 near 45
cbd10pt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 04:02 PM   #119
Anvilheadtexas
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineywoods Paul View Post
We have a huntable number of eastern birds in northwest Polk County from US287 west of Corrigan south to FM 350 west of Moscow. These birds have been here at least since early Ď90ís and another stocking was done a few years ago. We have probably harvested 20-30 gobblers on our club since 1999 or so. Usually 1-3 per Spring season.

Our biggest issues are hog predation on nests and maintaining open corridors between various age timber stands that are either very young / open or mature hardwoods/ pine mixed stands that are open enough.

To address post just above:
Itís not legal nor advisable for individuals to privately attempt stocking per our TPWD biologists. Disease proliferation is one issue. Another issue is difficulty securing eastern birds that can survive here. Attempts to stick Rios, Merriams etc. have failed miserably in east Texas.
Paul... I know that area well . I personally have seen a flock of 25 on the south side of 287 right at the Trinity/Polk County line. without mentioning the club in which these birds reside on they have had turkey for many many many years and I sometimes wonder if these were stock birds if this was a group of birds from many many many years ago . In that immediate area there has never been stocking but then again itís not that far from where you are talking about .
Old 07-23-2018, 04:04 PM   #120
Anvilheadtexas
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbd10pt View Post
The Woodlands has some.
And 1488 near 45
I want to say they did a super starting on the Mitchel Ranch somewhere is in Montgomery county several years ago ... but I donít recall all the details . Iíve always thought that getting them a stab list and a bit more urban areas might help ... possibly less predators in that area. The reason why they havenít done well in East Texas is nest Predation.... You name it and It will eat a turkey egg laying on the ground
Old 07-24-2018, 09:31 AM   #121
Anvilheadtexas
Ten Point

Anyone else in Polk/Trinity/Tyler/Houston counties seeing any birds on game cameras?
Old 07-24-2018, 10:35 AM   #122
CSanders
Ten Point

Hunt In: Palestine

I’ve seen a few hanging out on the side of the road close to Palestine were I hunt.
CSanders is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-24-2018, 04:04 PM   #123
popo1984
Eight Point

Quote:
Anyone else in Polk/Trinity/Tyler/Houston counties seeing any birds on game cameras?
I'm going to get several cameras out this year where I think they are bedding down. Anyone have suggestions of places to scout or where to place cameras?
Old 07-24-2018, 04:31 PM   #124
Anvilheadtexas
Ten Point

Quote:
I'm going to get several cameras out this year where I think they are bedding down. Anyone have suggestions of places to scout or where to place cameras?
I would not think you would have to overthink it.. if you have a feeder, they will visit it.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:45 PM   #125
popo1984
Eight Point

Makes sense. I always have a camera on my feeder but haven't got any pics. I guess we will see this year.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:08 PM   #126
Anvilheadtexas
Ten Point

Quote:
Makes sense. I always have a camera on my feeder but haven't got any pics. I guess we will see this year.
I am always looking on my pulls for Turkey. None yet in 12 years of owning place. All I get are deer and hogs. If I I ever have turkey I would build fence around feeder to keep rooters away.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:13 PM   #127
.243 WSSM
Ten Point

Fannin Co. Seems to be a good hatch. They say the drier the weather in May/June the more successful Easterns are at bringing off a brood.
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2018, 07:24 PM   #128
Native Texan
Eight Point

Hunt In: Polk County

This map shows NWTF activities in East Texas since 2015. I count 12 Superstockings of 80 birds each at a cost of about $500 per bird. Good to see the money being put to use in Texas!!

https://www.facebook.com/MontcoTxNWTF/
Attached Images

Native Texan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2018, 07:20 PM   #129
GraceNmercy
Four Point

Some of those you're seeing near Palestine are probably from the 2007 super stocking site in southeast Anderson county. Over the past 10 years birds from that site have been increasing in number and spreading abroad.

Since then there's been 5 more super stocking sites throughout Anderson county and on the Anderson/Henderson and Anderson/Cherokee lines. We're currently working on another site on the northern Anderson/Cherokee line.

People are already reporting birds where they've not been seen in Anderson, Cherokee and Henderson counties in years. It's exciting to see more birds in east Texas, and the interest and participation level of landowners increase. I hope to see more and more landowners come together and improve their habitat and organize more co-ops for turkey releases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSanders View Post
I’ve seen a few hanging out on the side of the road close to Palestine were I hunt.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:52 PM   #130
Pineywoods Paul
Eight Point

Hunt In: Polk County, TX
Exclamation

Quote:
Paul... I know that area well . I personally have seen a flock of 25 on the south side of 287 right at the Trinity/Polk County line. without mentioning the club in which these birds reside on they have had turkey for many many many years and I sometimes wonder if these were stock birds if this was a group of birds from many many many years ago . In that immediate area there has never been stocking but then again it’s not that far from where you are talking about .
I think the birds in eastern Trinity County / northwest Polk County have been around since at least the early ‘90’s or earlier. When Champion Intl owned Brushy Creek they had an executive lodge there. I’m told the state actually trapped some of their eastern birds in the early ‘90’s to relocate to other parts of east Texas. I believe this was all done before the Super Stocking program. As you stated Anvilhead, the turkeys in that area appear to be the result of a much earlier stocking- if not remnants of the original population.
Pineywoods Paul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2018, 10:18 PM   #131
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

We have some in Newton County, I have heard them, and seen their sign but havent laid eyes on them.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2018, 01:18 AM   #132
Thumper
Pope & Young

For a minute I thought Ragin was back.....

In the 70's there were turkeys in the NW part of Sam Houston Forest, off FM1791. I would see them in the spring/ summer. Keep up the good work!
Thumper is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2018, 10:28 AM   #133
ren087
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas

We have a ton of turkeys on our lease near Colmesneil.
ren087 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2018, 09:41 PM   #134
jaspermac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper/Doole

Nwtf banquet this Saturday night in Jasper
jaspermac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top