Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SanAngeloBowman View Post
    Stoney

I just noticed that was you that asked. Call me for more details bud.
    I'm interested in any harvest total ,if you have that information please share,because I hunt SASP also.

Comment

Originally posted by kennyelp View Post
      I'm interested in any harvest total ,if you have that information please share,because I hunt SASP also.

yOU need to call the SASP HQ and talk to Pat for that kind of info.

Comment

I hunted SASP a few weeks ago...missed a coyote and a 6 pointer. I shot a doe but couldn't find her....got a shoulder shot on her. All in all good time. SASP cabins are the way to go...definitely worth it. Seemed like stalking was the way to hunt the animals out there.

Comment

txhunter2008 what area were you hunting?
          did the cabin have a air conditioner?

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter2008 View Post
            I hunted SASP a few weeks ago...missed a coyote and a 6 pointer. I shot a doe but couldn't find her....got a shoulder shot on her. All in all good time. SASP cabins are the way to go...definitely worth it. Seemed like stalking was the way to hunt the animals out there.
            I'd have to agree about stalking. I do have a pop-up locked out there but I use it more for a "Base" to rest and sit every so often while I'm out there, but be careful you stay in a 10-20 acres area when stalking. You ARE allowed to take off orange gear when you get in your IMMEDIATE hunting area but need to where it ESPECIALLY if you are out walking around in case you come into someone elses area. Look for trucks parked at the gates to get an idea of who else is out there. Make it a point to meet the other hunters in your unit so you have an idea of where each other is hunting. Oh and watch out for the Longhorns. I almost came nose to nose with one in the dark one night walking out They are huge and they are dosile but if spooked they will run you over, and where there is ONE...there are many. I had so many come thru the brush and surround me one day I felt like I had to run for my life to get outta there Some get curious and want to actually get close to YOU thats always interesting. Anyway, thats just a few things Ive noticed lately.

Comment

I had this lil guy on my camera last week and several does

Ive seen some other interesting critters with horns out there as well

Comment

Last couple days the rubs have started to appear along fence line areas in both units that I've frequented. Bucks are out there....keep your eyes open!

Comment

New guy

Hey, new to the forum, is this place bow, shotgun, or rifle hunting?

Thanks,

Russ

Comment

Hunting the state park

Russ,

Welcome to the forum,
                    The state park is bow only in all units, all units are walk in only or non-motorized bicycle. You can use tree stands and ground blinds, and you can feed.

Corn is best broadcasted cause the longhorns will find you and eat it up. If it's broadcasted they can't get it all.

Stoney

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to get my bow mailed to me.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by RussLandry View Post
                        Thanks for the reply. I'll have to get my bow mailed to me.

Thanks again!
                        RUSS

SASP is only open for archery for 2 more days this week then they do rifle draw hunts. They WILL reopen for archery hunting again from11/22 thru 11/29 for just that week then they are done for the year. Twin Buttes Resv. is open everyday thru the end of the January doe season. Contact me sometime and I can help ya out some.

Rob

Comment

I am really interested in trying to hunt out there but i have no clue where to hunt. I tracked a deer over by the boys ranch that ended up going into the park. I tracked him for short distance over there and gave up. He is still alive. but in the mean time I found a giant hog and two sheds. I really would like to give it a try if someone would show me around.

Comment

Originally posted by krazykritters View Post
                            I am really interested in trying to hunt out there but i have no clue where to hunt. I tracked a deer over by the boys ranch that ended up going into the park. I tracked him for short distance over there and gave up. He is still alive. but in the mean time I found a giant hog and two sheds. I really would like to give it a try if someone would show me around.
                            You SAW a giant hog? 12 years Ive been out there and never seen a LIVE hog. Seen what looks like hog scrapes on small mesquite sapplings, and I burried some rotten deer corn one time and it all got plowed up.

You mentioned the Boys Ranch (15+ miles from SASP) you sure you didnt track him from Unit 4 to across HWY into Unit 5.....the only "walk-in" unit at TBR?

I think I know where ya saw the hog. Probably same area Ive seen a few dead Javi's and a couple hog carcasses last season. would love to give em a chase some time if ya wanna hook up. My lease last year was the last gate on left side of Boys Ranch rd. right before ya hit the dirt road.

Comment

Originally posted by SanAngeloBowman View Post
                              You SAW a giant hog? 12 years Ive been out there and never seen a LIVE hog. Seen what looks like hog scrapes on small mesquite sapplings, and I burried some rotten deer corn one time and it all got plowed up.

You mentioned the Boys Ranch (15+ miles from SASP) you sure you didnt track him from Unit 4 to across HWY into Unit 5.....the only "walk-in" unit at TBR?

I think I know where ya saw the hog. Probably same area Ive seen a few dead Javi's and a couple hog carcasses last season. would love to give em a chase some time if ya wanna hook up. My lease last year was the last gate on left side of Boys Ranch rd. right before ya hit the dirt road.
                              thats pritty close to were I went tracking. It was on the left down boys ranch road. Had to drive through some cattle pens to get on the property off the paved road.

Comment

Originally posted by krazykritters View Post
                                thats pritty close to were I went tracking. It was on the left down boys ranch road. Had to drive through some cattle pens to get on the property off the paved road.
                                Those Cattle pens you drove thru...were they on the left just before end of paved road?

Comment

Working...
                                X