Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-22-2018, 06:49 PM   #1
kruppa24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Concho
Default Lane splitting on motorcycle

Was traveling on 84 today and seen a motorcycle go between two cars on the middle dotted line. I wouldn't think this would be legal. Quick Google search showed I could be wrong.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
kruppa24 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 06:50 PM   #2
twosixteens
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County Mostly

I didn’t realize that was legal. I see it all the time.
twosixteens is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 06:51 PM   #3
Tye
Ten Point

Not legal in Texas from what I recall
Tye is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 06:52 PM   #4
hully1029
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grayson/Cooke

not legal in texas
hully1029 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 06:54 PM   #5
Army of Dad
Six Point

Hunt In: Public land

I believe itís still illegal in Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Army of Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 06:54 PM   #6
slicktricker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson Co Public Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by hully1029 View Post
not legal in texas
Or smart...just rolling the dice for snakes eyes... ain't worth it slow down folks.
slicktricker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 06:56 PM   #7
kruppa24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Concho

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicktricker View Post
Or smart...just rolling the dice for snakes eyes... ain't worth it slow down folks.
Legal or illegal, I agree with this
kruppa24 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 07:21 PM   #8
nursejenn
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McCulloch County

I've seen some motorcycles do some really dumb stuff on the highway... and I've seen some really BAD motorcycles wrecks end up in my trauma room. No way in the world would I get on one ever again, even with the best driver in the world. Too many distracted drivers that don't pay enough attention and look twice for motorcycles...
nursejenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 07:25 PM   #9
Dixiehunter
Ten Point

Not legal in Texas unfortunately. Doesn’t mean that I won’t filter to the front of the light to avoid overheating in traffic when it’s 110* out. You’d be surprised how many people get p1ssed off when you roll to the front of a light and don’t realize that you’re not inconveniencing them one bit. At speed? Now that’s a stupid maneuver.
Dixiehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 07:27 PM   #10
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

It is legal in some states, not here though.
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 07:35 PM   #11
mchildress
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk

Sure makes me jump when they do it. Makes me think for a second I’m getting hit.
mchildress is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 07:57 PM   #12
slicktricker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson Co Public Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchildress View Post
Sure makes me jump when they do it. Makes me think for a second Iím getting hit.
Imagine what it does to Betty driving with her knees putting on makeup with 3 kids in the car?
slicktricker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 08:10 PM   #13
Leverhunter
Six Point

Probably not legal in Texas. Even if it is it's a really bad idea. Bad idea = stupid & suicidal
Leverhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 08:19 PM   #14
waterdog
Pope & Young

https://legiscan.com/TX/votes/SB288/2017
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 08:26 PM   #15
KyleW
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gordon TX

Illegal here as it should be. I understand at red lights but going 100 down the highway in between cars is a death wish
KyleW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 08:29 PM   #16
Lexington
Four Point

I remember seeing it a lot in LA when traffic was bad. I think at least one motorcyclist a day died as result. Car drivers wouldn't think to look for them when changing lanes, and the bikes would go into the side of the car.
Lexington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 08:30 PM   #17
IowaHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: IA + MA

Lane splitting = fast lane to organ donation
IowaHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 08:35 PM   #18
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Be the same ones who are gripping when dirt and leaves blow off your trailer
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 08:42 PM   #19
sports
Six Point

Hunt In: Quanah

Not legal in Texas unfortunately. Doesn’t mean that I won’t filter to the front of the light to avoid overheating in traffic when it’s 110* out. You’d be surprised how many people get p1ssed off when you roll to the front of a light and don’t realize that you’re not inconveniencing them one bit. At speed? Now that’s a stupid maneuver.

The problem I have is cyclist in general want to throw a fit when they think auto drivers dont watch out for them or drive in a way that is endangers them but the minute it is to their benefit they want to do something stupid like lane splitting. I take issue with just because you can and you have a self thought out circumstance then it is the thing to do. Just because you are on a bike doesnt entitle you to zip between cars. I dont want to be the guy changing lanes and kill or injure you and havevto lve with that.
sports is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 08:58 PM   #20
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

I had an easy fix to it when I worked highway. Arrested them for reckless and impounded bike. But I also had to work two wrecks that I remember from it but it didn't bother me as I was making overtime putting paint on the road.
glen is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 08:59 PM   #21
Dixiehunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sports View Post
Not legal in Texas unfortunately. Doesnít mean that I wonít filter to the front of the light to avoid overheating in traffic when itís 110* out. Youíd be surprised how many people get p1ssed off when you roll to the front of a light and donít realize that youíre not inconveniencing them one bit. At speed? Now thatís a stupid maneuver.

The problem I have is cyclist in general want to throw a fit when they think auto drivers dont watch out for them or drive in a way that is endangers them but the minute it is to their benefit they want to do something stupid like lane splitting. I take issue with just because you can and you have a self thought out circumstance then it is the thing to do. Just because you are on a bike doesnt entitle you to zip between cars. I dont want to be the guy changing lanes and kill or injure you and havevto lve with that.
Iím not sure youíre understanding what Iím saying. ďZipping between carsĒ was not mentioned in my comment. Regardless, whether you take issue with how I ride or not, Iíll do what I have to do when my temps on the bike start rising. I appreciate your concern for not wanting to kill a biker. Keep an eye out for them. Not enough car drivers have the awareness to know whatís around their vehicle.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:28 PM   #22
TxKronik
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb and Comal County

Not our job to anticipate riders breaking a traffic law. Riders want to be safe follow the laws. Not our problem they bought a bike with no cooling system. But everyone now wants to make their problems someone else's and think because they have an issue they are more entitled than the rest. Shut the bike off in traffic before it gets over heated problem solved. Motorcycles and cyclists are the same. Scream look out for us then ignore any laws they don't like.

kronik by Diamond
TxKronik is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 09:29 PM   #23
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

While I'll admit, sometimes it's tempting but it's dangerous enough out there without putting a gun to my head pulling the trigger just to see if it's loaded.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 09:38 PM   #24
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixiehunter View Post
Not legal in Texas unfortunately. Doesnít mean that I wonít filter to the front of the light to avoid overheating in traffic when itís 110* out. Youíd be surprised how many people get p1ssed off when you roll to the front of a light and donít realize that youíre not inconveniencing them one bit. At speed? Now thatís a stupid maneuver.
Inconvenience? No? Being a ****** bag? Yes! Get in line like everyone else. Your time isnít any more valuable than anyone elseís. Typical attitude!
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 09:49 PM   #25
Dixiehunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
Inconvenience? No? Being a ****** bag? Yes! Get in line like everyone else. Your time isnít any more valuable than anyone elseís. Typical attitude!
Call me a ****** bag if you like. I ride the bike because itís more fuel and time efficient in a city that gets pretty congested around rush hour. Lane filtering saves me time, fuel and keeps the bike from overheating not to mention having a car stopped behind me makes me less likely to be hit. Iíve come within inches of being slammed by a truck who didnít see me stopped at a light. Iíd much rather have filtered in front of a car that wouldíve protected me. Most cops in College Station seem to understand this and have not given me any trouble when Iíve done it in front of and next to them. Either way, I probably wonít change your opinion and you wonít change mine.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:13 PM   #26
Puggy625
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX, KS

Quote:
This.......and I ride. Going to the front of the line ain't cooling that bike down any more than waiting your turn.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Puggy625 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 10:14 PM   #27
meathunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere invited

The one that make me mad is the guy in rush hour, stand still traffic hauling *** down the middle between cars because he does not want to wait. If I see them in time I move my truck towards the middle to cut them off.
meathunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 10:20 PM   #28
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

Quote:
agree 100%
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 10:47 PM   #29
bk913
Eight Point

Hunt In: Cooke county/Tom Green county

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxKronik View Post
Not our job to anticipate riders breaking a traffic law. Riders want to be safe follow the laws. Not our problem they bought a bike with no cooling system. But everyone now wants to make their problems someone else's and think because they have an issue they are more entitled than the rest. Shut the bike off in traffic before it gets over heated problem solved. Motorcycles and cyclists are the same. Scream look out for us then ignore any laws they don't like.

kronik by Diamond
Completely agree, modern mindset of Iím a little more important than everyone else and they can cater to my needs. Drives me crazy.
bk913 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 11:00 PM   #30
PYBUCK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Upton County

Stupid. "Watch out for Motorcycles" I see these signs all the time. I thought it meant to be cautious and not overlook them. Was not aware it meant watch out for the arse holes trying to be cute and causing you to wreck.
PYBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 11:44 PM   #31
Austin
Ten Point

Have to admit I am with the play stupid games win stupid prizes crowd.

Do I watch for motorcycles yes always they are far to common where I live. I am also expecting you to watch for me though. I am not expecting you to be driving 70 in the 40 zone where I turn out of my neighborhood. I am also not expecting you to split lanes and pull up between me and the car in the next lane. It’s not uncommon for me to open my door enough to spit at a red light.

Bikers want everyone to give them berth but no traffic laws apply to them common courtesy goes along way
Austin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 11:53 PM   #32
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

Far too many bikers are inconsiderate on the road period. That's just another way they show it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 06:41 AM   #33
justletmein
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public lands

Quote:
Same. Why people get mad makes no sense. Bike will be gone well before that cage starts rolling anyway so what do they care?
Having said that, never could bring myself to do it.

Lane splitting of course is legal in lots of states, lotta folks are not from Texas and may not realize it's not legal here especially with all the military we have. Not a big deal people.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 06:43 AM   #34
justletmein
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by meathunter View Post
The one that make me mad is the guy in rush hour, stand still traffic hauling *** down the middle between cars because he does not want to wait. If I see them in time I move my truck towards the middle to cut them off.
That's dumb, you're just jealous. What's it hurt you if he cruises through? It doesn't, you're just being an ***.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:07 AM   #35
sweetinlow660
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County SE Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Have to admit I am with the play stupid games win stupid prizes crowd.

Do I watch for motorcycles yes always they are far to common where I live. I am also expecting you to watch for me though. I am not expecting you to be driving 70 in the 40 zone where I turn out of my neighborhood. I am also not expecting you to split lanes and pull up between me and the car in the next lane. Itís not uncommon for me to open my door enough to spit at a red light.

Bikers want everyone to give them berth but no traffic laws apply to them common courtesy goes along way
I agree, but you do realize its just as illegal to open your door to spit as it is to split lanes right?
sweetinlow660 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 07:29 AM   #36
meathunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere invited

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
That's dumb, you're just jealous. What's it hurt you if he cruises through? It doesn't, you're just being an ***.
And I will continue to be an ***. There is 0 reasons for them to do this other than being inpatient arrogant di***. Wait like everyone else. I do the same
Things to cars who get on edge of the road and try to go around the traffic and then cut back in.
meathunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 07:36 AM   #37
stickbowcoop
Ten Point

Hunt In: OH, PA, looking for a place in TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puggy625 View Post
This.......and I ride. Going to the front of the line ain't cooling that bike down any more than waiting your turn.

Actually keeping moving does help. Sitting at idle in high heat causes engine temps to rise quickly on many motorcycles, especially if it's air cooled. Just the small amount of extra air flow that slowly moving forward generates can help.

Having said that I never do it. It was illegal in PA and it's illegal here. I do not intentionally break laws. I have actually pulled off and shut my bike down in bumper to bumper before so it could cool off. Tunnel traffic in Pittsburgh was notorious for being a parking lot.
stickbowcoop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 07:39 AM   #38
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Sitting idle in high heat makes the temp go up on cars and trucks too. That is not a good argument.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 07:40 AM   #39
deerslayer94
Ten Point

Hunt In: madison,grimes,montgomery

Only legal in California. Which makes sense. Because it’s stupid.
deerslayer94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 07:49 AM   #40
Puggy625
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX, KS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickbowcoop View Post
Actually keeping moving does help. Sitting at idle in high heat causes engine temps to rise quickly on many motorcycles, especially if it's air cooled. Just the small amount of extra air flow that slowly moving forward generates can help.

Having said that I never do it. It was illegal in PA and it's illegal here. I do not intentionally break laws. I have actually pulled off and shut my bike down in bumper to bumper before so it could cool off. Tunnel traffic in Pittsburgh was notorious for being a parking lot.
Then use the parade mode on your bike. That's what it's there for. Most people don't even know Harleys have it or know how to use it.

Puggy625 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 07:50 AM   #41
TX_Hoghunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harper, TX

I will not lie it ****** me off....and when people post well I do it because my bike is starting hot....well I could not care less.....I did not force you to buy a bike that could not take the heat. If I buy some old junker car that runs hot can I just drive up the shoulder if I am in traffic? Saying you do it because the bike is getting hot is nothing more than an excuse used by those that think they are better than everyone else and so they should not have to wait in line in my honest opinion.

-john
TX_Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 08:12 AM   #42
FVR JR
Six Point

Hunt In: San Saba County, Colorado County

Motorcycle, car, whatever wait your turn. Some of us actually go when the light turns green. A bike squeezing in just because can very well be an inconvenience. Usually they end up in the 1ft of space between you and the crosswalk, half in front and half on the side to where you can't turn right for instance. I like bikes, and those who ride them responsibly. I'm darn sure not going to treat them special like so many expect when half of them have the attitude of screw you i'm on a bike and I'll do what i want. I guess all of them are overheating....

Last edited by FVR JR; 07-23-2018 at 08:29 AM.
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 08:16 AM   #43
TxKronik
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb and Comal County

Quote:
Call me a ****** bag if you like. I ride the bike because itís more fuel and time efficient in a city that gets pretty congested around rush hour. Lane filtering saves me time, fuel and keeps the bike from overheating not to mention having a car stopped behind me makes me less likely to be hit. Iíve come within inches of being slammed by a truck who didnít see me stopped at a light. Iíd much rather have filtered in front of a car that wouldíve protected me. Most cops in College Station seem to understand this and have not given me any trouble when Iíve done it in front of and next to them. Either way, I probably wonít change your opinion and you wonít change mine.
Your second and third sentence says it all. You ride the bike with the intention of lane filtering because you feel your more important than the people around you. You feel the laws and common curtosy shouldn't apply to you. Its riders like you who make people hate motorcycles. I used to ride and frankly I hate motorcycles now also because of it.

kronik by Diamond
TxKronik is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 09:38 AM   #44
txhunter007
Eight Point

I didnt used to care about it until some jerk dented and scratched my truck with what i assume was something on his handlebars. The weird part is he somehow avoided my mirror and didnt fall lol. Traffic was at a stand still so there was no catching up so we could chat.
txhunter007 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 09:41 AM   #45
Bullydog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grayson / Throckmorton

Quote:
As a rider for many years. This absolutely does nothing to help keep your bike from overheating when its 110 out...Bikes and cars alike, get hot... Offset to the side, behind traffic, and watch your mirrors at all times when stooped. And be in gear, and ready to move to an open spot or out of the way if you have to, immediately.

"Filtering" to the front of the line is a justification you have for by passing traffic because you feel entitled to do so. Lets not sugar coat it.......
Bullydog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 09:58 AM   #46
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Open to Offers

We dip snuff here in Texas. Sometimes we open our door to spit. Probably why its not legal here.
Hoggslayer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 10:01 AM   #47
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

Quote:
I agree. You are d-bag.
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 10:14 AM   #48
whitetailfanatic
Pope & Young

if you chose to ride a motorcycle OR bicycle that day, sit in traffic like everyone else, you chose no air conditioning in TX,

cyclist of all kinds and seem to be anywhere now adays think their above the law.

growing up we were told dont ride bikes in the streets, push across crosswalks also, dont go unless crosswalk says GO,etc... not anymore

Last edited by whitetailfanatic; 07-23-2018 at 10:18 AM.
whitetailfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 10:28 AM   #49
justletmein
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by meathunter View Post
And I will continue to be an ***. There is 0 reasons for them to do this other than being inpatient arrogant di***. Wait like everyone else. I do the same
Things to cars who get on edge of the road and try to go around the traffic and then cut back in.
I do the same with cars, if they get in front of me they knock me back in the line. Then I have to tailgate them and eventually prove my manhood by making a good traffic move and getting back in front them which is almost a certainty. But motorcycles, they don't knock you back and they don't cause your wait to be any longer by zipping through out of the way. So you have to ask yourself, why does it upset you? I'll answer that for you, and everyone else for the "wait your turn" crowd. You are upset because they can do something you can't, and rather than be happy for them and say "hey buddy it's great one of us doesn't have to be stuck here in traffic" you get upset. It's not fair! He's doing something I can't! Even when it doesn't set you back in the slightest, same wait for you. So yeah, you're basically a Bernie Sanders supporter and don't even realize it, or maybe you do. Jealousy causes all sorts of dumb behavior, this is no different.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:35 AM   #50
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Quote:
Iím not sure youíre understanding what Iím saying. ďZipping between carsĒ was not mentioned in my comment. Regardless, whether you take issue with how I ride or not, Iíll do what I have to do when my temps on the bike start rising. I appreciate your concern for not wanting to kill a biker. Keep an eye out for them. Not enough car drivers have the awareness to know whatís around their vehicle.
Not enough drivers are even aware of whats going on INSIDE their cars. We took a trip to Florida week before last for vacation...its the most time I've spent on the road in a while since I usually don't deal with traffic too much. I was surprised at the amount of bad drivers that were on their phones and swerving, driving 10-15 mph below the speed limit, etc...and there was no age that wasn't included. Florida especially had a LOT of blue hairs driving while staring down at their phones it's a crazy world we live in when grown people who should know better are doing that crap
TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top